Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cmichael AV8 coupe build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cmichael, Sep 26, 2015.

1. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Good deal, I'm located just off of I-985 and friendship rd. in buford,ga.

2. cmichael

cmichael

Another small update stopped by Melvins in the way home from work and pick up so wire looms they are for a later motor but still better than none. Also got e-brake cable and rear wheels cylinder rebuild kits. Gonna tackle that in the morning. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447464752.320998.jpg

3. Majo

Majo

Good looking build.

Majo

4. cmichael

cmichael

So I have been a super busy with work and holiday stuff. I have been thinking a lot about it though and I want to drive it a lot so I have one concern that is the rear hub races on the ends of the axle tubes. They have some pitting. Can these be replaced or do I need to look for a rearend with better races?

5. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Check with the early V8 suppliers , there was a sleeve available at one time to repair the pitting. They are a press on repair. Good luck

6. cmichael

cmichael

Awesome thanks

7. Gearhead79

Gearhead79

I'm building the exact combo. 59A with 39 Trans in a 31 Model A. Tired of looking for F1 crossmembers with no luck. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to more pics !

8. Gearhead79

Gearhead79

Did you use the stock drive shaft bellhousing flange location as your final engine mount location? Looks like you have perfect firewall clearance.

9. cmichael

cmichael

Thanks. I actually let the rad and the fan determine where the motor sit and worked off that. An electric fan just wasn't an option in my opinion.

patmanta likes this.
  10. cmichael

cmichael

Small update:

I put new bushings in the pedals a while back and the shaft was kinda worn so today i made a new one at work. I don't have very much experience with the lathe so it was a learning curve. And all we had laying around was 1 1/2 round stock so it took a while. lol I think it turned out pretty good though. I also ordered my radiator and hoses today. So I'll have an update on that when they come in.

Attached Files:

11. Pete

Pete

Awesome to see your back on the car...

12. cmichael

cmichael

I have a thickstun intake that I want to run but I also want to run the original fan on the 39 generator in the stock location the problem is it hit the front carb. So after some research I came up with a solution. Cut down a generator essentially making it an idler pulley for the fan to mount to and run an offset generator mount on one of the heads. I got done a little early at work today so I took a swing at it. I think it turned out pretty well for a rookie on the lathe. All i have left to do is thread the shaft for the nut. A few of the pictures are some that a guy from down under was nice enough to send me on Instagram after I saw the setup on his car in one of his posts. Its amazing what you can learn from the internet.

Attached Files:

13. cmichael

cmichael

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455848569.010520.jpg so it was like Christmas today. My master cylinder, scoops and generator bracket came in. And my radiator is getting delivered tomorrow.

patmanta likes this.
  14. OK, that gen idler/fan setup is pretty cool. Nice solution.

15. swifty straights

swifty straights

I may need to borrow that gen. Idler pulley idea on my flathead! Thanks for sharing the pictures! Looking forward to more of your build!

16. Moatc

Moatc
    from Kc,Mo

What master cylinder are u using?

17. cmichael

cmichael

It is one from speedway motors that Pete recommended. I'm making an adaptor for it to adapt to the f-1 pedals at work and I'm going to cut a few extra so if its something your interested in when I get them done I can send you one.

18. cmichael

cmichael

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457232315.250793.jpg

I got to spend some time in the shop today after I got back from the North East Georgia Swap Meet. Got some things done I have all day tomorrow and Monday in the shop so hopefully two big updates coming! I also received my alliance tag I'm pretty pumped about that!

Jeff34 likes this.
  19. cmichael

cmichael

I have made a good bit of progress the last couple of weeks so here is a update.
    I got the pedals and master cylinder installed, brake lines plumbed, brakes bled, intake swapped out, idler pulley and fan installed, generator installed, rad installed (i had to change out top neck as the ones that came on it were to small), starter and ignition wired up to hear it run for motivation. I will be swapping the wiring out with cloth covered wire I have i just have to decide where I want to solenoid to live. Any suggestions would be great. I still need to figure out my gas pedal situation. Any suggestions?? Oh yeah and the wheels and tires are just temporary. I have 16" forty ford wheels that will get firestone 7.50 and 4.50 blackwalls.
    IMG_2180.JPG IMG_2177 2.JPG IMG_2180.JPG IMG_2177 2.JPG IMG_2180 2.JPG IMG_2188.JPG IMG_2189.JPG IMG_2197 2.JPG IMG_2198 2.JPG

Attached Files:

20. cmichael

cmichael

Oh yeah and body will not be left crusty I'm just getting all the mechanical things worked out before I do the body!
    IMG_2199 2.JPG IMG_2201 2.JPG

Hot Rod 50, BenLeBlanc and patmanta like this.
  21. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

Damn good idea with the fan. I may have to steal that. I've got my og gen with the fan mounted on it. If they can't rebuild it and make it 12 volt I'll go this direction.

Nice work man.

22. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

23. cmichael

cmichael

Made some more progress this weekend.
    got the floorboards cut and installed
    IMG_2225.JPG
    I spent a lot of time removing the gas tank to clean and seal it only to figure out that it has some small rust holes under where the windshield so I was talking to a friend and he mentioned that guys used to use old metal boat tanks. I happened to have one so I got it and sat it in there. I'm still not sure how I feel about it.... I think i might get one from tanks inc.
    IMG_2225.JPG IMG_2223.JPG IMG_2235.JPG
    I made up some pieces to fix the areas I had to cut out of the subrails.
    IMG_2230.JPG

24. cmichael

cmichael

IMG_2231.JPG
    I also got mine Firestones and mounted them up and bolted them on so of coarse I had to roll it out and take a couple pictures they made a huge difference I'm so happy with the stance and overall look so far.
    IMG_2210.JPG IMG_2211.JPG IMG_2222.JPG IMG_2213.JPG
    I Stopped by my Dads shop this morning and "borrowed" some hubcaps I remembered he had hanging on the wall. I think I will be "barrowing" them for a while. lol IMG_2236.JPG IMG_2237.JPG IMG_2238.JPG
    I just found out I have tomorrow off of work so I'm going to get the sheet metal patches from Mikes Afordable.

My girlfriend and I have been discussing paint colors. We are thinking we like the tans and greens. Any pictures of these colors would be helpful. IMG_2229.PNG
    So all in all I had a pretty productive weekend!
    Oh and I almost I got accepted to the RACE OF GENTLEMEN! I will be racing this pile on the beach in june! I'm freaking pumped!

slv63 likes this.
  25. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

Oh what a difference new shoes make!! Congrats on TROG!

26. slv63

slv63

Looks great! Model t gas tanks can work quite well. The width works well. Plus a couple of the stock mounting straps and you are in business.

27. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Very cool build!
    What did you use for upper radiator hoses?

28. Too cool! What was the tire sizes you went with? Good job getting accepted at trog

29. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Looking good! Those new tires and caps make a world of difference. I like that newcastle gray or the shoal green

30. cmichael

cmichael