Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy 230 inline 6 leaking water from a head bolt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GearSlammer, Nov 18, 2015.

1. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

I have very little experience when it comes to these inline engines. Do the head bolts run through a water jacket or is it something worse?

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

it's too dark and cold to go out to the barn and check...but I would not be surprised, since the same vintage Chevy V8s have all the head bolts threaded into water.

3. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I can check tomorrow morning. I have a bare block in the corner of the shop. I think @squirrel is right . Is it in the middle?

4. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

So im hoping thats the case and if so, it just needs to be backed out and new thread sealant?

5. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

No its the second to the last bolt.

Moselli likes this.
  6. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I'll check my book when I get home, but I think the answer is yes. If I remember right, even the front head bolt on the driver's side actually threads into the opening for the thermostat housing at the front of the head.

7. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

@GearSlammer, Here is a picture of the 230 Chevy block in my shop. All the head bolts clearly hit water, as you can see if my picture is good enough. I also stuck a drill bit into them all to verify. I can't answer your question on sealing it with any authority, but I would take the chance on getting it out, sealing it with thread sealant, and retorquing the single bolt. If you were a bit more cautious, you could take them all out one at a time, apply thread sealant, and then torque in proper sequence. No need to remove the head or break the seal on the gasket. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Hope this helps. Take care.

20151119_095239.jpg

8. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

what he said ^^. Drain the coolant system so when you pull the bolt it doesn't siphon out anyway & make a mess. Then pull the one bolt & reseal it. Or if you want to make sure find the torque sequence for the head bolts. Pull them out one at a time, reseal them IN ORDER so not to warp the head gasket seal. IT should be fine.

9. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

Thanks for the help guys I'll post an update and let you know if that fix the problem.

10. Moselli

Moselli

What is everyone's preference for sealant on head bolts that go into a water jacket? Thanks!

11. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

On a new build with everything clean, I use Loctite Head Bolt & Water Jacket Sealant. To re-seal one on a used engine, I've used Teflon tape.

12. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

I would have never thought to use teflon. I wonder how it holds up on those high temps

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Teflon tape will hold up fine.

14. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

We use Teflon tape on steam pipes. Pipe thread is tapered. Bolts are straight thread so it doesn't take a very thick layer. It acts as both a lubricant and sealer.

15. squirrel

squirrel

I use pipe thread sealer with teflon...seems to work ok.

I'll have to look around for the special loctite head bolt stuff.