Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Found axle identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sawyer1930, Nov 16, 2015.

1. I put this into the project thread I'd been working on but I figured it might get buried and maybe this is interesting (fun?!) to some of you. Found this axle and I'm considering to maybe use it, but not without identifying and evaluating the suitability other than being free. It has hydraulic drum brakes, the axle tubes have an oval cross section and taper out to the edges. Cast into the center section is the number reads: "600211-B". Any pointers in the right direction as always are very appreciated!

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

'40s/'50s Dodge pickup is my guess. Tapered axle ends, top mont springs, flanged pinion yoke......

Ray

3. squirrel

squirrel

20151116_090127.jpg shop manual picture. This is for cars. Looks similar.

4. I'm not sure what your planning on using it in but if your going to do any adapting at all that unit wouldn't be my choice. Now that you know what it is just go price New brake parts. That might help you decide.
    The Wizzard

5. Thank you Ray and Jim. Indeed, it does look like the 36-42 Plymouth rear end. Searching more shows those cars were in the 80-100 HP range.. seems it might not be quite what I'm looking for but maybe the next project or make a good trade. Thanks!!

6. Good point Wizzard!.

7. squirrel

squirrel

Sometimes free costs too much!

117harv likes this.
  8. I was noticing how Weathered that tapered axle end is. Makes that one Junk. If the other one's the same you don't have much to start with.

9. curious , how wide is it wheel mounting surface to WMS? what would you put it in?

i assume the bolt pattern is 5 on a 4-1/2" bolt circle.....correct?

10. There's no wheel flange / hub. Just the axle ends sticking out. My rough tape measurement is about 50-52" wide to the backing plate. Yes it's definitely weathered as it's been outside for 30 years easy, but in much better shape than many metal things I've found outside. Maybe someone could use the center section. It still turns by hand.
    I considered (briefly) to put into my 1930 A project but given the original application and age thought better of it.
    Haha Jim yes free is sometimes too much!

11. Put it under a trailer.

302GMC likes this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drain of fluids, scrap by pounds.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^^^^^^ best advice ^^^^^^^^^^

Ray

14. squirrel

squirrel

they aren't paying anything for steel around here these days...so leave it in the pile for better days