Register now to get rid of these ads!

SPOHN Customs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OITH-Mike, Nov 29, 2005.

1. BOERNESTAGE

BOERNESTAGE

Very cool car Wayne congrats it has a great home now!

2. My 1952 Spohn Custom is on year long display at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles. Based on a 1940 Ford chassis; coachbuilt body by Spohn in '52. The "FINS" exhibit of 14 vehicles runs through Feb. 4, 2014.

Attached Files:

3. TWO Spohn Customs appeared on the lawn at the Amelia Island, SC Concours d'Elegance this weekend. The red car owned by Wayne Carini is a pre-war Ford V8 chassis, older restoration. The white car owned by Dale Walksler is a 1949 Veritas (German sports car) chassis, unrestored. Both received Spohn coachwork in the early '50s.

Attached Files:

Stogy, HEMI32 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. alsancle

alsancle

The Veritas is one of the best looking of the Spohn bodied cars (in my opinion). Where did Wayne find his car? I assume there will be an episode centered around it.

Stogy likes this.
  5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think Wayne looked at the red car during a show last year. Bob

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. The red Spohn Custom owned by Wayne Carini and Ralph Marano was in the Dezer Museum Collection in Florida for something like 25 years. The episode where the car purchase occurred aired a couple of months ago and will air again certainly.

7. What a great thread! Congrtualtions on aquiring yours!

Stogy and StillOutThere like this.
  8. Reminder to anyone reading this thread:

I have a Spohn Custom Enthusiasts page on Facebook. Been going on four months and there is a TON of information there about these Spohn Customs.

Attached Files:

9. alsancle

alsancle

So Ralph owns it? He has an exceptionally good eye for cars.

Btw, your green car is also attractive. Some of them are hideous I must admit but a few are pretty cool including the subject of this thread.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
    Stogy likes this.
  10. Carini and Marano are co-owners of the red Spohn Custom as displayed at Amelia.

We must always remember that Spohn offered innumerable styling elements and details from their "Box of Toys" portfolio and that the owner of the car was the stylist choosing the combination to be applied to his car. Styling, as is classically said, is subjective.

Thank you for comments on my car. It will be spectacular when restored to original color, fresh chrome and new leather.

11. ANOTHER SPOHN CUSTOM historical reference has been found! In the Feb 10, 1956 Oakland (Calif) Tribune classifieds:

"FORD, 1953, Ford, custom body by Spohn. Removable hardtop. Leather upholstery. Trade equity for older car. (Phone # illegible)"

Where is it now? What does it look like? The mind boggles! Which one of you owns it?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. ItsIN.JPG Always welcome any new Spohn Custom comments to this thread. Its been quite a while. My Spohn Palos is at a restoration shop.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  13. Original existance of another Spohn Custom has come to light from the 1950s. This car's second owner lived in Vandalia, Illinois after a US serviceman had in built in Germany and brought it back, presumably to his home in that general area. The nephew and niece of the Vandalia seller from 1956 would like to find the car. Has anyone seen it since then. I fully expect it is still out there, perhaps sitting in some collector's warehouse or private collection. Thanks. Spohn02-600dpi.jpg Spohn04-600dpi.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  14. The 1940 Ford based Spohn Palos, completed by Spohn in 1952 is undergoing thorough rebuild at Manns Restoration in Missouri. Total teardown, repair of everything, got rid of the Ford Y-block that never fit and never ran in the car, will be getting a 291 DeSoto Hemi. Body-full.jpg

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great thread, thanks for the update! Bob

Stogy and StillOutThere like this.
  16. 17240625_1375843962438956_4114171269983410520_o.jpg Sheet metal work progress on the Spohn Palos. The Stude bullet in the "jet pod" is just a mockup for now.

Stogy, HEMI32, stanlow69 and 3 others like this.
  17. Further progress on the Spohn Palos restoration. It receives a '55 DeSoto 291 Hemi.

Attached Files:

18. Update photos

Attached Files:

Stogy, VANDENPLAS, HEMI32 and 7 others like this.
  19. Looks to be approaching the home stretch. The color is starting to grow on me. Can't wait to see it done.

pprather likes this.
  20. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking great!

pprather likes this.
  21. Interesting thread.

22. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im not feeling that green...with engine swap id of been also ok with color swap....

Budget36 likes this.
  23. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Did the shop, or you, ever find out how many layers of paint, & what colors they were? Esp the 1st one over a primer? Or ever determine what was actual orig color? Just curious is all... Somehow, I can see the earlier-referenced light pink pearl on that car.
    Marcus...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    Stogy likes this.
  24. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

download (9).jpg download (8).jpg download (7).jpg download (6).jpg

The Veritas Spohn custom spent many years with Lee Hartung in Illinois. Our friend BLUTO(Jim Proffitt) spent some time with Lee talking about this car and a great deal more things. After Lee's death the car was sold at auction to Dale Wacksler at the Wheels Through Time motorcycle museum(https://wheelsthroughtime.com/). The cars has been sold on and has been restored.

25. SS327

SS327

The car is looking much better now. That green even kinda works. But coral and black would have been much cooler.