Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical brake pedal ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WP38, Nov 11, 2015.

1. WP38

WP38

Just put in a master cyl/power booster with a firewall mount Bracket. if my feet were attached to my knee I would be good. Is it acceptable and safe to cut and weld the pedal
    shaft so it would be 5 0r 6 inches away from the fire wall instead of 10 inches.
    would this change the braking force , any suggestions would help.

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

side view picture would help us figure out what's going on there.

It looks like you might have just put it up too high? but it's really hard to tell without seeing an overall view, from the side.

3. WP38

WP38

the brake foot pad is 8 inches off the floor I didn't realize when you added the power booster it reused the pedal as well. Well guess I will lower and patch ,
    thanks

4. F&J

F&J

It does look way too high. A car with a slanted toe board would have the pedal pad hit the angled board (like while bleeding). Normally the spot would be downwards a bit from the top of the toeboard

5. squirrel

squirrel

you might also consider moving it to the left a few inches?

I like to take my time when installing the control stuff for a car...seat position, steering wheel, pedals, are kind of important, and you want to make sure you get it right, so it's comfortable to drive.

6. WP38

WP38

What heigh off the floor would be suggested

7. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are two important concerns you need to be aware of; pedal ratio and pedal travel.
    If your going from manual to a power system, the present ratio is probably 6:1 or more, and should/could be reduced to a 3-4:1 range. That will allow you to shorten the pedal arm, reducing ratio, and gaining some room.
    The other concern is overall travel. You have to be able to fully stroke the master cylinder in order to utilize the added safety of a dual system.

8. F&J

F&J

Most people like to have their heel on the flat floor, and have the pedal pad just below your toes.

9. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

When I was working on mine it seems like 7" off the floor was standard. I read it some where then measured my cars and it was close. Go measure your everyday driver. I also believe the clutch pedal is in ahead of the brake by a little.

10. squirrel

squirrel

modern cars and old cars are not the same, the seating position, floor shape, firewall shape etc are different. Don't go by modern cars. I would try to put it as close to the original pedal position as possible, although with the pedal hanging instead of pivoting under the floor, it will be only an approximation.

you really need to have a seat, steering wheel, etc in there and get it all to work together. Asking for some number of inches off the floor isn't going to be very helpful.

11. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

maybe I should be working on different prats of my project then. I see what you are saying about the seat and all just never thought about it. You always learn a lot on a first build.

12. WP38

WP38

Thanks will patch tonight and move lower I was figuring on 7 inches thanks . I made a dummy steering column to test as well.

13. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Some time these are better off under the floor, especially in an car without much dash depth also frees up the firewall space for a cleaner more traditional look.

14. Controls and seat position have to all work together and work for you, where it feels good to you. I just changed my seat position in my drag coupe, for more comfort , I must of had the seat in and out 20 times till I got it where it felt real good.

F&J likes this.
  15. WP38

WP38

I lowered the master seems to have helped the pedal is still a couple inches too foreward so when I get the brakes completed I will have to cut and adjust pedal.

Attached Files:

16. onekarnut

onekarnut

WP38
    inmo even tho you have dropped the master cylinde----from looking at both pic--- you are still too high and too close to the tranny tunnel. It looks like the pedal pad is right where your accel pedal should by the side of the tunnel.

Jim M

hipster likes this.
  17. WP38

WP38

No I have room floor almost flat thanks . Will take a pic

18. oj

oj

I'd also be looking at where the steering column will be, other factors are is it manual or automatic are you a 1 footed or 2 footed driver. If you are 2 footed and it is to the right of the steering column you'll have a dangerous situation.
    Things are always more complicated than they should be.

19. WP38

WP38

No I have room floor almost flat thanks . Will take a pic
    Th350 automatic. column will fit to the left of brake pedal thanks

20. phat rat

phat rat

Lots of good advice here. But nobody answered your question about cutting the brake arm. If the welding is done right it doesn't hurt to cut it.

21. squirrel

squirrel

Yes, cutting and properly welding the brake arm is OK. but the reason I suggested moving it down, is that he probably would have had to lengthen it also, which does affect how it works.

22. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Do not finalize your pedals including the gas pedal until you have your seat and steering wheel and column mounted. I spent a lot of time laying out my 27 roadster ( very small ) and could not be happier or more comfy. Gary

23. phat rat

phat rat

I wasn't trying to undo what you guys had told him. He'd have the pedal ratio off if he only made it longer instead of dropping the whole pedal assembly down

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  24. squirrel

squirrel

no problem, I'm just explaining my thinking.

25. if you cut it and weld it so it is closer to the firewall, make sure you can still get full travel.
    you will also have to support that pedal bracket, back to the top of the dash, to keep the firewall from flexing.

26. WP38

WP38

Thanks update have the steering column loose in place. Should go a couple inches through fire wall .
    I can also bring it up an inch or so. , I won't adjust brake pedal until I get the brakes installed and full bleeding done, Lots to think about,

Attached Files:

27. phat rat

phat rat

I'd also get it parallel with the floor instead of crooked like it is now.

28. pitman

pitman

Is your column located w/regard to steering wheel diameter
    and door window sill clearance? The driver side dash opening appears
    offset in your setup. Often it would be centered in an OEM setup

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  29. WP38

WP38

Ya the pedal is loose bolted on it can be moved.

30. WP38

WP38

ruffed in the steering column today more work ahead stiffening up the fire wall next , Just long enough ,

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd likes this.