Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building hot rods from garbage ( non-survivor club)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thirtytwo, Oct 16, 2015.

1. F&J

F&J

That is a very rare 2-door body style that was tried by quite a few car makers in 1931 1932 1933 era, like Ply, Desoto, 6cyl Chrysler, Studebaker, Chevy and Nash. There were called different names by each maker; convertible sedan, 5 passenger convertible, etc.

I have a 32 Nash 2dr conv sedan, and those have a very short rear quarter...

and I did have a 32 Ply convertible coupe.

Hope you get a thread going on your 32? :)

Tomblingarage and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. gonzo

gonzo

Not sure if this is "garbage" enough but this roadster body was hanging on a wall when I got it. I was half way to assembling it when I took the first pictures.
    before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

3. LOL my old racin buddy always says "if it aint broken fix it 'til it is." I have certainly practiced that one more then once. :D

patmanta and volvobrynk like this.
  4. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

My starting point will be similar to yours. My buddy @jckc is storing the bulk of my model A coupe in his attic til i'm ready for it.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  5. flthd31

flthd31

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  6. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You guys are amazing! True craftsmanship to save some of those! I only wish I had that much talent. Makes me want to hunt up a piece of crap and get to hammering!

8. Well said Pete

9. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Yes. I agree with you 100%. The" what color should I paint my wheels". Or "what kind of air cleaner looks the best" posts are maddening. These people have way too much time to waste. Get out in the garage, create, weld, repair , do something! Sorry for the rant. I'm old , (70). I'm tired of scrolling thru nonsense statements.

10. I really like this thread, keep them coming!!!

11. My pile of trash is a pile of gold compared to what you artists started with! Love this thread.

12. aarestor

aarestor

What I started with and how it is now.

Attached Files:

13. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

14. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Yep, Quite Rare. Only about 690 or so of the 2 door PB convertible sedans made by Plymouth that year out of some 83,000+ total Plymouth PB cars. The Phaeton is actually rarer, they only made 250 of those buggers.

No HAMB thread yet. There are some non-traditional elements on it. The owners insisted on IFS and a 4-link with coil-overs in the rear. Not a bad thing, just not ideal for posting here. However, it is being powered by a '58 325 Dodge Hemi backed by a A518 Automatic overdrive. It will be full fendered, running painted steelies (probably not red, those are just mock-up wheels), and painted a black and ox-blood two tone.

The thing is chalk full of bullet holes. Well, bullet dents really. Whoever used it as a "shoot'n car" most likely had a large caliber, but slow piece. Very few of the rounds actually made it through the tin.

"That's my dad's shoot'n car. Only 3 more payments and she be ours"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  15. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Don't let the rules get you really down , a lot of us would like to see the save ... I'm confused on the rules these days too whats traditionally inspired ...ect ect.. ... But if we don't see paint we don't know it's going to be an Easter egg... If we don't see the suspension or LS engine nobody will know keep it focused on whats acceptable here and a few " traditional "guys might be inspired by your "street rod" build

This thread was a slight effort to counteract that theme , I think if this and a few others are active or stay alive we can either drive some of that stuff off or create a better balance, ...

I know there are some bad ass builds on the hamb I have seen them through the years ...

Early on in the thread I realised a few pics werent enough for me or others , which is why I asked for those who have a build thread please post a link that way if anything on here catches Intrest for people they can revisit the whole build...

I would like to see more threads like this live and maybe pump some life back in to the "old hamb style"

I remember the hamb welcoming Elpolacko 's 5spd twin turbo big block Chevy ford pickup .... Cause it was cool...

That type of build is no longer welcome here , (which maybe why craftsmen like him are no longer here much anymore)....BUT....maybe treads similiar to this can skirt around the rules a little and keep everyone happy and we are all the better for seeing some of the craftsmanship

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  16. DRD57

DRD57

I've polished a few turds in my day.
    Before:
    0001.JPG 0002.JPG
    After: (photos by Rick Amado)
    Jun1Dump 220.jpg Jun1Dump 221.jpg Jun1Dump 222.jpg Jun1Dump 223.jpg Jun1Dump 224.jpg 0001.JPG 0002.JPG Jun1Dump 220.jpg Jun1Dump 221.jpg Jun1Dump 222.jpg Jun1Dump 223.jpg Jun1Dump 224.jpg

Squablow, Okie Pete, clem and 7 others like this.
  17. DRD57

DRD57

This one's still not quite finished:

BP7300209_JPG.jpg 017.JPG 002.JPG This one's still not quite finished:

18. bct

bct

19. gonzo

gonzo

Man this slays me.

[​IMG]

20. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Me too!

jdownunder and wingnutz like this.
  21. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

[​IMG]
    Haul home day, after being upside down 30 years next to Hangman Creek outside of Tensed Idaho.
    [​IMG]
    Creek water damage removed.
    [​IMG]

Starting to get somewhere.
    IMG_20140918_071919_549.jpg
    After dipping, NO MORE RUST!!!
    20140925_143437.jpeg
    Where I'm at now.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

He's only 3 years old but today I started a pile of parts for my Grandson. His Dad found this axle at the town dump. I'm adding an A chassis and rear axle to the collection, we'll see how far the free pile gets. Bob AFTER Hersher 2015 451.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  23. YJ4000

YJ4000

That is great to see, and I'm sure he will have lots of support from family and the HAMB.

Ryan.

24. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Judging from the photos many years have past since it was dug up ..... But man that is some beautiful work right there ...nice work takes time ... Beautiful save !

volvobrynk and Johnboy34 like this.
  25. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Thanks, this was 1979, always new I would get it done someday. Took a lot longer than I thought, building a life, raising kids and such. The little guy in front grew up to be a tremendous help. ( Should have said it's TAKING a lot LONGER than I thought! )
    I also put a few more pictures in my album you all can look at.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    Donald A. Smith likes this.
  26. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

You don't have a car , it became a family heirloom , I'm sure everyone in your family looks at it and has a different story to tell, one of those about the journey not the destination deals... Very cool!

wingnutz, bct and Johnboy34 like this.
  27. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I have a '35 Ford that I have been working on for about forever. Life has a way of imterupting hobby car projects. Awhile back I figured that it was just "sitting and rotting" and would never be complete or even drivable. When a coworker showed interest in it I made arraingements to sell the car. At that point my family stepped in as quashed the deal; the reason? The kids all remembered playing in it while growing up, making engine noises, watching dad work on it, etc. I may never get it finished but it is a part of the family.

28. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

There are a lot of posts about someone won't sell a car ... Gonna fix it someday, people don't understand.. It may not be the thing nessesarily but the memories it brings them having it around

29. jdownunder

jdownunder

Donald A. Smith likes this.