Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Cabriolet - The 'FlatCab' - A Real 'Barn Find' for Once

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bored&Stroked, Mar 23, 2014.

1. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

2. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

Well, a true pre-war engine was probably Ford engine green. I think the best looking hotrod flathead I have seen is this polished green motor with a slingshot manifold:
    [​IMG]

On the other hand, you know the color the previous car builder wanted, red, since it is still visible in your car.

3. Have decided on an interior leather . . . did a bunch of soul searching on it. I wanted something OTHER than a standard Ford color, definitely want leather and also want something with a 'distressed' finish. Obviously it will be a new interior, but at least with a distressed finish, it will look a bit older and worn. Also, over time - it will fade a bit and probably be more suitable in a few years.

I haven't decided on the exact 'style' of the upholstery, but it will have a lot of similarities to the original pleated designs, but with some added touches to set it off just a bit. Being really classy and subtle is the key . . .

Here is the color (as best as you can tell via the WEB!):

32CabrioletInteriorColor.jpg

Probably have 2.5" pleats and a front border similar to the roadster below (what a super nice interior in this dude!)

highend-roadster.jpg

What do you think?

48fordnut and kiwijeff like this.
  4. MrModelT

MrModelT

5. Yes - this is my other dilemma - I love the old Ford green . . . a real classy color. With that said, Earl painted his engine red, so I'm thinking I need to stay with a red color (though I may go deeper with it and include a slight burgundy tint). One side of me has been thinking about a deep burgundy color on the block - to match the interior.

What do you guys think.

6. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Dale I like your interior color and style choice and engine color to match would look real nice Btw give me a call when you get a chance

7. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Try to find the 1940 Ford Maroon, it could be what you are looking for. If I get my Flathead painted soon I will post a picture of it. I had a local shop match the color and put it in spray can for me. Sgould be Bitchin!

8. Well Dale I know whatever color or interior you decide on it will be just perfect like all of your work, and can't wait to see the pics of grandson in car!!!!

9. WillieRides57

WillieRides57

Just came across this.... proof there are hidden gems out there still. Thanks for sharing the great story.

10. Love the whole story

11. Update: There is a companion thread that Tom at Flop Customs has started to capture some of awesome metal work that he's done to fix/repair some of the abuses of crude bodywork and a bit of rust over time. My goal was to return the metal work to as close to "as Henry made it" as possible - leaving as much of the paint and 'character' in place along the way. Tom did an unbelievable job - I was very fortunate to meet him and for him to work on the ole' girl.

Also, I'm really glad that we decided to put the fenders and running boards back on it . . . it keeps the car true to it's past and really makes it a better looking car (given it's heritage, era and style).

Checkout this thread . . .

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...olet-metal-work-edition.979392/#post-11030463

MrModelT likes this.
  12. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

I agree, fenders and running boards look better on a cabriolet. Looking forward to pictures of all the sheet metal installed.

13. Here is an example:

DSC0811701 copy.jpg

Gruntis, heavydumper, Tudor and 2 others like this.
  14. Love fenders Dale.......... she looks great!! just needs a little down movement in front..........

15. Thanks Carl!

It still has the complete stock suspension on it (including mech brakes). I'm building a second set of suspension (so I can take the original off and keep it 'intact'). I have a dropped 32 axle, new springs, 32 wishbone (stock) and later hydraulic brakes. I want it to remain very '32', but want a little better height and want to be able to stop the darn thing when the new 42 Merc motor gets put in (shortly!).

16. 56fordf100

56fordf100
    from Arkansas

For me that would be like winning the lottery, I'm always looking, but never have much luck. I have obtained a couple of F100s through the years, that I still have. My thinking, is what, is, a true barn find? Is it jest an old car setting in a barn or out in a field for years and someone finds and purchase, it. Not really? Because we all know where several old, pre 1970 vehicles are setting, that no one wants. It's got to be something special, 1957 2 door hard top, 1969 big block Camaro, or my dream find 1932 Ford 5 window coupe that was a fender less hot rod in the 50 & 60s. But to the point! I went through all this to get you thinking. The really old, cool barn finds are getting less and less every year. Same with the old cars setting in a field, that they want sale for nothing. There is coming a day very soon you want see any of that stuff, it's being restored, stored and smashed. What we can do is take pictures & more pictures. As with your story even if you can't afford to buy, or he want sale? You can take pictures!

17. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

Many thanks for the engine build thread, I really appreciate the detail and information.

Now that the engine is running, how soon before you do an exemplary, detailed to the max, build thread on a Columbia that will take the torque? I have seen the internals of a stock early non-straddle mount axle where the ring and pinion destroyed each other. The car this came out of never had a stronger engine than a stock '34 85 horse unit.

18. Hey 38 Coupe: That is a very good idea . . . and exactly one of my winter projects! Now that I have the full-race flathead in the car, I know that I can't screw with the early 32 rear (like a Model A - no pinion support). I have already collected all the pieces to make a "high-performance" Columbia . . . so I'm going to head down that dang path and see if I can get it done! With a 4.11 rear, I need some higher gears . . . and I need at least some reasonable strength. So - I've collected all the crap to spin that big wheel! Stay tuned and THANKS for your interest and support.

B&S

19. p__moore

p__moore

x2 on the Columbia build! Great ride you have.

20. Somehow I missed your fantastic thread three years ago and just found it tonight when I saw you post pics of it on the "1940's period correct hot rods" thread. It deserves to be brought back to the top for anyone else out there in HAMB land that may have missed it. I think you did a great job telling the story and your pics really bring it to life. Congratulations on preserving the history of the FLAT CAB and returning it to life after its big sleep and it couldn't have gone to a better caretaker. Everything you are doing made it a way better car and that's what makes it a true Hot Rod.

I always wish I could push a button on these old time machines so I could ride with it through time from when it rolled off Henry's assembly line. I've been lucky to find two old gennie Fords (a '32 5W and a '34 3W) in the last 20 years and count myself very lucky. Hell, its easier to be struck by lightning and that takes a lot less time, money and work.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Bored&Stroked likes this.
  21. Thanks for the note - very kind of you. I think these old HotRods are a sort of time machine unto themselves . . . we get to jump in them, go down a country road - pass the old barns, cornfields and country and are somewhat transformed back to the day when these cars were new. I think the enjoyment of experiencing their simplicity and raw form is part of why I enjoy the experience so much. I always say that I'm just a "caretaker" of this ole' girl - I hope that I can maintain the look, feel and character of the past - and pass it on to future generations.

As you noted in the other thread, here is how it looks today . . . not much different than when Earl parked her (I think he would be proud - I only wish I could take him for a ride):

IMG_4803.JPG ClevelandAutorama-PassengerRear.jpg
    15-2016-cleveland-piston-powered-auto-rama-hot-rod-asylum-.jpg

ClevelandAutorama-Engine copy2.jpg ClevelandAutorama-Interior2 copy.jpg ClevelandAutorama-Interior1.jpg ClevelandAutorama-Rumble1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  22. brady1929

brady1929

23. Hop2it

Hop2it

Did you and the grandson ever get together since you got it going?
    Doug

24. It looks so much better with the fenders! Such a great car!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

26. MrModelT

MrModelT

I just love everything about this car and this story.

One of my favorites on the HAMB.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I just noticed something interesting in your door tops that has often bugged me in my coupster! any chance you could take a close up shot of the rear door top where it meets the jamb?? in my coupster wannabee cabrio I made up a flange that runs up and over the top of the quarter that mimicks a model A roadster door. I always disliked it as I felt it was to sharp a point and didn't look quite right. if my vision is correct an actual cabriolet doesn't do this and butts directly once it goes above the reveal??

28. Sure - I can take some pictures . . . maybe it will help yah!

revkev6 likes this.
  29. touring20

touring20

Glad you are the owner , great job waking her up after a long sleep !