Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Garages that are too small???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by voodookustoms, Nov 10, 2015.

1. YOU NEVER HAVE ENOUGH ROOM NO MATTER HOW BIG THE SHED IS.....YOU WILL FILL IT UP FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF LIGHT.......IT SEEMS WE JUST CAN'T STAND ANY EMPTY SPACE, SO WE FIND SHIT TO FILL IT UP WITH. LOT'S OF IT WE DO NOT REALLY NEED, BUT IT IS ALWAYS COOL SHIT. IT'S JUST THE WAY IT WILL ALWAYS BE...

Model T1 and AndersF like this.
  2. Fedman

Fedman

Okay, do I have to be the first to ask for a photo tour of your "Mansion" :D
    Beautiful looking property you have.
    Congrats!

3. Dang! thats heaven right there! :)

verde742 likes this.
  4. verde742

verde742

Geez Loweez, what size is that? Is it a horse arena originally?

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Is that coupe a 32 3w, did it go to Pete in South Carolina?

6. I was facing the same problem. I took all the shit outta my little 1 car garage except my 34, tools and the compressor. I took the room next to the garage and transformed it into tool and parts storage, torch storage, refrigerator storage and a workbench ...NOW I have room to actually work on the car with the doors open.
    garage1_15_1.jpg garage1_15_4.jpg 34homeDSC01900.JPG

LOU WELLS, -Brent-, cptn60 and 2 others like this.
  7. When I started off, we used to park 2 cars about 6' apart and drape a tarpualin across the roofs. That area became "the workshop", complete with a dirt floor and a 25watt light globe.
    Then I moved and used an old chicken coop, half the size of a car, and you could only work on one end at a time and be out of the rain. There is a mathematical constant which is applied to a workshop : SR = ESX1.5, where SR is "Size Required" and ES is "Existing size".
    You will never win the "My shop is not big enough" problem.

8. fadt

fadt
    from England

garage (2).JPG Try living with a UK garage.

bobss396 likes this.
  9. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

I started out in a 10x20 years ago. This spring I bought a beat up old building in need of some work, updating, maintenance and improving. 3478 sq ft with an "office" I use for upholstery material storage, nice sized bathroom and a lot of space. As I get work done on the shop and things get put away it starts feeling bigger.

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Copy of DSC02545 (Small).JPG
    10' x 20' rental from years ago.

fnjunk likes this.
  11. ahshoe

ahshoe

My shop is 14'-8" wide x 24'. I have built dozensof cars in there. BUT I do have 1484 sq. ft. to put them in when they are finished in the non shop area of the same garage. Wife keeps telling me to put up another building on our other lot. You are suppose to do what your wife says, Correct? Happy Wife...Happy Life....So maybe I'll do that soon!

12. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

My garage is 20X22 but the lakester is 24' long. Had to put it in kitty corner still not much room to get around. Built car in basement disassembled and broughbt out to garage for final finish.

13. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

10 gallons of stuff in a 5 gallon bucket......................

COMPANY CLERKS M.C. MORE ODDS AND ENDS 001.JPG

14. I basically work in 1 bay of a 2.5 car garage. I need to do a clean up & consolidation of what's sitting on top of the Ford.
    mess-4.jpg

15. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Well,i work in small garage too.It helped a lot when i bought pallet shelfs(another one is not in this pic),they sure saved a lot of space.
    [​IMG]

ct1932ford likes this.
  16. I'm gonn beat ya. My car doesnt even fit in there.. CAM00726.jpg

fnjunk, LOU WELLS and voodookustoms like this.
  17. I did the same thing. More room in the house too ! And having the last word on all decisions is an added bonus.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  18. LOL I had one of those porta garages made by California Covers back in the '90s just for working in the winter (an appeasing the city long story) and that is what I did was hang the sides on it and fire up my propane space heater. I actually could only run it for about 10-15 minutes when it was in the 20s here then shut it off and work for about half an hour.

19. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Pretty much restored the '48 Ford in a rented garage. It did have a light and a 110 outlet. A friend owned the rental garages and helped me a lot on it.

SANY0058.jpg

voodookustoms and Rui like this.
  20. Timbofor

Timbofor

After seeing some of these posts. I feel like a whining kid. I don't have a garage at my house, so I rent a 30x30 industrial unit. I've got heat, a swamp cooler and a bathroom. With utilities it's less than 400 a
    Month. It's just a hobby shop, but it got out of control working on other peoples OT late model junk. It's crowded, but that's mainly my fault for being a slob. I'm working out financing on a 24x46 building at my house with similar amenities.
    I cleared it with the neighbors, even though I don't have to. I just don't want any trouble with code enforcement when I'm doing the occasional paying job. My immediate neighbor could care less. He's always welding and grinding outside building landscaping trailers while listening to his mariachi music.

21. Salesman burial ground or a porthole to the past so I can get NOS parts.

It's a drained pool that the city won't let me backfill without major costly hoops. Maybe I should put a 4 post lift at the bottom.

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Garages will always be too small,they only look big when there is nothing in it. Build a 10 car garage and in a few years it will be too small.

23. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

I have to not only borrow space but also borrow tools at a friend's shop and when he's got a project the Buick gets the boot and back under the shade tree I go...be thankful you even have a garage.

I have a tree.

37hotrod and voodookustoms like this.
  24. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

This!

...It also goes way beyond the hobby itself to just life in general... ♤

voodookustoms likes this.
  25. I posted this question to a guy I know who has a Ph. D. in molecular physics to see if he could explain it. I asked him how it is possible that clutter, which is made of solid matter, behaves like a gas in that it expands to fill the space available. He said that he had observed the same phenomenon, but he couldn't explain it any better than I could.

kbgreen, LOU WELLS and tb33anda3rd like this.
  26. Model T1

Model T1

I don't have anything more to offer except it's nice to read and see that many of us don't have much room but we have a lot of valuable important junk!
    I finally got to go north and check out my new old 20X20 garage in the midwest where we are going to retire after we sell this retirement home. I'm not even sure two cars will fit and I wanted to take at least four back. Sadly the rafters are barely high enough for my old Chevy panel truck so there will be no double decking.
    At least here I have room for seven cars and enough space for all of the parts to put one together if I ever wanted too.
    The thing I liked about reading this is most of you are happy no matter where you are working on your cars. I too have done most of my work out on the drive way. In a way it's better.

27. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

DSCN0998.JPG I have a 20X40 foot garage,a 12x32 foot shed and an old school bus.I am working on my shoebox project in the yard-------one corner of the main room.

enloe likes this.
  28. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Work bay.You can see by the size and the lift I have been in the motorcycle business for a long time. DSCN0995.JPG

29. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Other part of main room in garage.The wheelbarrow is how I am getting the welder out to the Ford body in the yard.The gray motorcycles rear wheel is about in the middle of the big door and a foot away from it. DSCN0997.JPG

enloe and mad mikey like this.
  30. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

DSCN0996.JPG This is the other motorcycle sized work bay.There is a bike on the lift.The thing in the plastic bag in the foreground is a fresh 283 shortblock.The thing on the stand in a plastic bag is a 103" shovelhead engine.