Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical would it be safe to soak my rusty water pump in a rust remover solution?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GearSlammer, Nov 10, 2015.

1. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

im in the process on reassembling my nailhead, and the water pump has a lot of rust crud built up on it. the bearings seem ok . im just wondering if it is safe to soak a complete water pump in one of these rust remover solutions.

2. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

I have used evap-o-rust on a lot of parts, never a water pump mind you, but it is only suppose to eat rust and not good metal. That is exactly what it has done for me, I would not hesitate to do it. I didn't have any rubber in contact with it but I don't think it will hurt the seal any worse than it probably already is. Getting the bearing re-lubed will be the kicker, might have to press it apart first, put it back together with new bearing and seal. Couple day soak, scrub with comet and a brush, dry fast. Then metal etch as usual and paint. If you do it take us all along to see how it works out. Can you still get a rebuilt one, that would be the easiest.

3. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

I can send mine off and get it rebuilt for 130....or buy a brand new one for 140 but the iffy part on that is the propeller is plastic. I have no clue on how to pull my water pump apart...

4. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

I can spin mine and it still feels smooth and no rattles, its just got alot of build up id like to clean off first.

5. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I would tape it off carefully and bead blast it. Gary

6. squirrel

squirrel

It's probably gonna leak, no matter what you do....get it rebuilt now, or clean it up and install it, then have to take it off and get it rebuilt later. It's up to you.

7. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

This^
    I soaked one in vinegar from a 235 that had been sitting a while just as an experiment. It came clean but went out a couple weeks later. Coincidence? Maybe, who knows.

The 235 pump is easy to get to, but if your pump is a little more involved to change might want to get it rebuilt for peace of mind.

8. How much is being stuck by the side of the road worth to you?

9. i have personally disassembled thousands of water pumps and they are not hard to do, having tools and patience to do it is a must!

LiveActionMotorsports likes this.
  10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd try the EvapoRust; the only drawback is that it's kind of expensive. Vinegar (as used by the poster above) is an acid and can cause problems, EvapoRust is not and won't damage other parts. You have nothing to lose but a few bucks. I buy a fresh 5 gallon pail every spring for just such uses as this. Very handy stuff to have around the shop.

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

How about CLR? I have used it to clean up old rads and cooling systems by pouring it in the rad and running the car. It never caused a problem with the water pump.

I assume you are talking about the inside of the pump? Since you can wire brush the outside.

12. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

Yea i am talking about the inside.the propeller has build up on it.

13. The rust remover probably won't hurt the bearings ( I personally would just paint it with naval Jelly and rinse it) but it may very well take the seals out of it. If you are going to have to replace the seals it is really nothing to disassemble it and soak it in pieces.

14. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

How do i separate the pump.?

15. indyjps

indyjps

There's youtube videos on rebuilding waterpumps, not specific to a nailhead, but it should give you an idea if you want to do this or send it out.

It would be worth $130 to me to know I have a good pump. Is this a fresh engine needing cam break in? Would suck to fire it up and have the engine overheat during break in.

16. Hyfire

Hyfire

There are guys who will rebuild without the plastic parts. I had this done with my Chrysler. They used the ceramic impeller instead of the plastic one. I'd personally just get it done now, instead of having to do it again in 5 months under duress.

17. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

Yea i think im convinced,im just going to mail it out.ive always been the type to fix stuf on my own but i gues not this time.

18. I would have to look at it but I would guess that there is a snap ring that holds the impeller in place. you would also have to use a puller first to remove the fan flange. It is really not that difficult if you thiMk about it a little bit.

19. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

This will give you an idea of what is involved, to have yours rebuilt or get another one is a lot less headaches if you've never done one.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  20. blackanblue

blackanblue

I agree with some of the others new pump is cheap insurance specialy for a fresh motor, clean and rebuild the old one for spare or sale to recover some of the cost of the new one.

21. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

For as few parts as I've had go out on cars its always been the water pump. I'd just send that sucker off and have it redone. That or get your motor together and find the leak in a week or 2.

22. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Vinegar n distilled water!

23. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

Thanks for posting that video i enjoy learning new techniques, so i decided to mail it off to russ and let him rebuild it. Its in the mail.

24. I went right down to my local parts store (a real parts store not auto zone or advanced, they still use books too) and bought a brand new pump for my 425 for 60 bucks. Might want to try that and have the old one Tty o rebuild for a spare.

25. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

Im building a 264, those parts are harder to find than the later nailheads

Johnboy34 likes this.
  26. That's a good question.I have a GOOD water pump off a 1956 buick station wagon for sale .It woks fine but. it need a good soaking on the in side.I might try that .Thanks Bruce.

27. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I would't use anything "caustic"; I'd use molasses and wash it off in hot water. Paint and install, and hope for the best. At some point, considering it's probably already a little old, it will need to be replaced. Start looking on that auction site we all know and love; it'll probably be cheapest there. I am butch/56sedandelivery.