Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods drink holders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by revkev6, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

Your left hand,... or you can "Crotch your Cup" to be truly traditional,..... It's kind of like "Russian roulette" with your reproduction system..... Totally worth it !....... Henry Ford and Wally parks would approve.

2. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I'd like to find some of these old Stilco filters:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...oupe-build-the-curbspeed-coupe.542263/page-29

das858 likes this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

is that what you call it??:eek:
    awesome Bruce!

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I will play, I was thinking about something simple and discrete that you could just flip or slide out from under the dash when needed, and ran across this after a search.
    [​IMG]

2many projects likes this.
  5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I like that one. Functional, simple, discreet. Got a link ?

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Yes, I meant discreet, :D actually just typed in hot rod cup holders in a search and came up with pic but went back and found link.
    A guy could probably whip something up for less than 50 bucks but maybe not???
    anyway heres a link I found.
    http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/swing-out-cupholder-43053

Brentphx likes this.
  7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

AAaaaaaaAAAAAaaaaahhhhhhHHH!!!! The tach drive I've been searching for since 1982!!!

jerseyboy likes this.
  8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have one..And the tach if you serious..

9. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in 1968 I lived in Las Cruces New Mexico, going to school at NMSU and working full time at NASA on the Apollo project which was 20? miles east of where I lived. There were NO cup holders, and no "sippy" cups like we have today. I was driving a 63 Fairlane with a floor shifted three speed and drinking coffee out of a regular coffee cup. Yeah, I suppose I spilled some but the years have dimmed those memories. A few years later the convenience stores started selling plastic cups with a pop on lid, I wished I would have thought of that while driving to work drinking coffee out of a guaranteed spill cup:) I guess to be traditional you should just use a common household coffee cup:)

10. Anthony Copeland

Anthony Copeland

Hi my name is Anthony I am a friend of bill weckman and currently got blessed with the opportunity to be part of Bill's next run yes he is getting ready to get back at it for one last time I seen u made a post a while back for photos of car fortunately I can offer all the photos u would imagine if u are still wanting pics u can email me at [email protected]

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I just drove a 72 Capri from Canada to the Cleveland area. No factory cup holders back then. Giant PITA without one. My vote is still for the gizmos.... in any and all vehicles. Or Camelbaks for two wheelers. Gary

12. bandit2999

bandit2999
    from Oklahoma

I was fortunate enough to inherit this one when I bought the truck. Origin unknown.

Attached Files:

patmanta and SpecialJ like this.
  13. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I used the duct tape roll method today. Had to stop fast and the coffee got spilled. I'm going to start back on my project cup holder tomorrow.

Sprout likes this.
  14. You guys are a bunch of cry babies. WTF can't you exist for some time behind the wheel without the need to drink. Maybe you should consider installing a drip. If you're really driving such incredible distances, stop every couple of hours, take a piss and have a drink then carry on driving.

iwanaflattie and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cup holders are not traditional.

2racer likes this.
  16. I've spilled more drinks and shakes all over the seat and my ass more then I can count. I sometimes use a Duct tape roll, but the rest of the time I follow my rule now.................NEVER get anything without a twist on cap :) or at least make the passenger hold your drink.

They make some that take the place of your ashtray on 53-56 F100's. I'm thinking about making a pocket in the door panel of the '28.

17. inmy 51 Fleetline I got one of those armrest things that got cup holders. Ya just set it on the seat and it stays there. Throw it in the trunk if ya don't wanna look at it. My 30 A I'm building I picked up a seat from the middle of a dodge minivan and guess what was hiding under it? A hidden cup holder (all black) give it a push and it pops out, don't want to see it psh it back in and it's gone. I might use it. :)

Doctorterry likes this.
  18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Not traditional! They go back farther in time even than Winky the Cat! The rusty one in the truck above is probably '50's, since it is adaptable to a fat hump, but patents go back into the twenties at least. Here's a pretty ancient one that is just a tin version of ones you can buy today at K Mart. There are food tables, combos, conversions to make an ashtray into a drink holder, etc., many of them similar to modern ones...there are only so many ways to hold a cup to a car. Ancient JC Whitney catalogs also show a few. They became necessary as slaves and servants disappeared and the decay of our culture allowed wives to rebel...
    [​IMG]

jerseyboy and patmanta like this.
  19. Well think about that for a minute..some 40's,50's,most all 60's cars had drink holders on the back side of the glove box lid-they just weren't designed for you to use them with the vehicle in motion

Doctorterry likes this.
  20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Contradiction in terms. Those do not hold anything.

2racer likes this.
  21. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

They hold a little bit of what you spilled.

jerseyboy and 2racer like this.
  22. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Lol, no kidding !

23. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Because I don't want to stop nor do I have to stop so if it's not coffee, it's a water or soda. I like to spoil myself as much as possible

24. Well, got the cup holder, plate dispenser, silverware caddy, salt and pepper shakers, and the all important ice chest. Now, there's no room for me in the car... Have I gone too far?

X38 likes this.
  25. Don't forget the window tray to hold your food.

X38 likes this.
  26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Technically, that could legally be a beer: "A previously opened container of alcoholic beverage can be transported in the trunk of a car or the bed of a pickup or truck..."

I think it's high time someone invented a...MOUSE HOLDER! Cat, please...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  27. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I finished my cup holder project today. I cut the appropriate holes, bent it up and added magnetic feet to a 1936 Kansas license tag. I think it worked out pretty good and "fits" my little 31 Model A pick up. I'm having some difficulty uploading pix so I'll try again later. Update: I got some pix to load up off of my phone's mobile app. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443838351.775386.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443838373.640222.jpg .

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    toad611, 2racer, SpecialJ and 2 others like this.
  28. Mine serve their purpose image.jpeg

UNCLECHET and jerseyboy like this.
  29. squirrel

squirrel

really out there...my combination cup holder/stereo/phone charger/document holder. Lifts out for when I go racing.

[​IMG]

UNCLECHET and seb fontana like this.