Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project Old Red II:'48 Ford F1 Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cobra_4, Sep 5, 2012.

1. cobra_4

cobra_4

Got some primer on my box last night.

First coat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Second coat and third coat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Probably won't get to work on it tonight, but I hope to put some color on it over the weekend!

Also got a lead on a trade on my turbo 350 transmission for a 700R4 so hopefully that comes through!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. cobra_4

cobra_4

Didn't get much work done over the weekend. I was going to go ahead and do my bed in bedliner but I realized it needed more prep work than I thought, plus I need to haul new parts to and old greasy parts back home from my buddy's shop so I'm just gonna wait. I did dig out my spare gear box though, been sitting under the shed for a few years but its been in the dry and feels great. So hopefully it will work for me! I've also got a spare front suspension I drug out in case I need any odd parts or pieces.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We dropped our ramp truck off at the shop Saturday to get a new master cylinder put on so hopefully as soon as its back I'll be able to haul her in so the work can really start!

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Nice project, and a great story. Even better is that 2+2. Man, I'd kill for that car, loved them since I was a kid.

4. cobra_4

cobra_4

Thanks!!! Yeah the Pontiac gets alot of attention when people come to look at other cars my dad may have at the time for sell. He's had lots of diehard Pontiac guys beg for him to at least price the car to them but he always just grin's as says its not for sale :D

5. COOP

COOP

Noticed the pucker in the upper edge of your tailgate. I've got a '48 that looked just like that. Couldn't find another one at my price so I thought what the hell, I'll try to straighten it out. (mine was worse) What I did was slide the tailgate under the legs of my cherry picker put a hard sanding block on the center of the bow, connected the hook on the cherry picker over the block and stroked away till the bow was gone. Had to go a little past true, to allow springback, but it came out perfect. Anyway, worked for me....... Norm

6. cobra_4

cobra_4

Good idea!!! I will try that!

7. cobra_4

cobra_4

Put the first coat of color on my box last night, happy with how its turning out, not near as purple on the box and with the rose colored primer under it. Still got a couple more coats to go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I'm going with my plan of scuffing down the red/purple and hopefully sanding back into some of the primer and just a very little amount of the original metal in a spot or two, then clear the whole thing.

Also picked these up off ebay the other day, my driver side is broke and my passenger side probably isn't far from it. Door latch springs for those who don't know what they are.

8. cobra_4

cobra_4

Wow, can't believe its been soooo long since I touched this thread! Time to get back on it! She's going for her new tranny and steering gear box next week among other things.

The "plan" is to have it ready to drive to Shades Of The Past in September. With a test run to the show I organize for JDRF on August 31st. But I figure that is a little bit of a stretch but we will see what happens. Still got a long way to go! Stay tuned for updates!

9. cobra_4

cobra_4

Progress!! Trying to finish up the two small project I had going on in my basement for it, gonna start a little body work on the truck maybe tomorrow before it goes to my buddies shop.

Looking at the box I painted for the back I just wasn't happy with how purple it was. So I took a shot in the dark with a can of Ford tractor red and it ended up working out pretty good.

Here it is before for a memory refresher.
    [​IMG]

I lightly sprayed one coat of red on, then dusted the whole thing with another very very light coat.
    [​IMG]

I think it added a nice tint to it. It also give it that old faded look between two colors that I wanted to I decided not to sand on it at all.
    One more shot.
    [​IMG]

After that dried I clear coated it. Looks pretty good I think!
    [​IMG]

Gonna cover it with decals over the future anyway!

Shiney new chrome valve covers
    [​IMG]

Not any more! Project "Faux Pontiac" engine under way!
    [​IMG]

10. cobra_4

cobra_4

Made a little progress today, got the truck about half sanded. I forgot how good of shape most of the body was in. It's gonna be a pretty simple scuff and respray. There is already a great base of paint under the primer as you can see where I sanded into it in a spot or two. Plus a couple of good layers of primer that I put on the truck back in 2006 the last time I sprayed it. The look on the bottom fenders with the red shining through is actually the look I'm hoping to achieve, except more noticeable, when the truck is done.
    Kinda like this, except only on the fenders.
    [​IMG]
    There are only two spots on the truck that are going to require much attention. Where the passenger fender meets the running board is cracked, looks like it was repaired years ago probably from running over something.
    [​IMG]

Also have to repair this dent where my wife hit it a few years ago.
    [​IMG]

But overall she's not too gonna take too much work to get looking cool again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Marti Ann

Marti Ann

The body is really sharp. Hope you decide to go vintage or close to it, since there's so much there. We'll be watching!

12. cobra_4

cobra_4

Oh yeah, when she's done your gonna think she took a right turn out of about 1958 into the parking lot:D

13. cobra_4

cobra_4

Made an awesome find at the swap meet today! I had been trying to figure out something to do with the gauges and now I've got it! Gonna take the original gauges out(they are shot) and mold this piece into the dash! I think it should go pretty good with my moon eyes tach I'll have up on the dash. I really like the look of this piece, I've never saw one like this before so I had to have it!

[​IMG][​IMG]

This isn't a scratch, must be a hair or something not sure how it got on it for the picture.
    [​IMG]

14. cobra_4

cobra_4

This poor, poor project thread. This truck hasn't moved in several years and I'm ashamed of it. But that is all about to chance. I'm FINALLY caught up on basically every other project I've got personally going on so its time to get fired up on this one! Moving it into the shop tonight, stay tuned for details and pics!

15. cobra_4

cobra_4

Okay, so here is how the truck has been for probably two years. I started sanding it down just kinda testing my patina paint idea a year or so ago, but that's as far as I got.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been trying to move it inside for at least a year now, so long that its become a bit of a running joke between my buddies, so I had to take a photos for proof! Truck's gone!

[​IMG]

and INSIDE!
    [​IMG]

Even though the tranny is busted, I really wanted to here the old girl run so I tossed the battery charger on her and switched on the fuel pump to see what she had.
    [​IMG]

Sadly, the line that feeds the two carbs is leaking, what else could I expect for sitting out in the weather for a couple of years.

[​IMG]

But that's no biggie, I'm a few months away from needing to move it around anyway!

I've got all sorts of plans, but posting them ahead of time seems to be a ginx, so I'll only post stuff AFTER I get it done!

16. cobra_4

cobra_4

Even though the engine bay is already nasty, excess overspray through the hood vents wasn't needed so I covered the engine bay up.

[​IMG]

This is the sanding progress I had made outside the last time I worked on the truck, I'll hit it quickly again with some fine paper before I spray it, but its basically good to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the other front fender, most of the hood and door sanded down on the drivers side.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks like rain is going to really kill my plans this weekend, so I'm hoping to just about get her taped off and ready for paint this weekend!

17. cobra_4

cobra_4

Got some more work done today, my father in law was helping me out so it made things go a little quicker. Basically got all the sanding done, just gonna go back over it with some fine paper before getting a couple of coats of primer on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got most of it taped off, got the front bumper pulled, mirrors pulled.

Pulled the rear wheel off so I can get better access to start working the dent in the rear fender out.

[​IMG]

18. cobra_4

cobra_4

Been a couple week break on the truck but finally got back at it.

When I was sanding the other day I oiled my da up real good before I started and didn't realize it but some of the oil leaked back out onto the truck. I cleaned it with solvent best I could, but it was still there so to be better off safe than sorry, I sanded all of the stains out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I guess I forgot to upload the pic, but I got 99% of the front grille taped off and ready to go too.

Pulled the tail gate off which I hadn't previously used during the last flat black era of the truck. This gate is pretty rough, sat under the shed for years. I thought about getting a new one but heck, if this old tail gate could take I'm sure it could tell some stories, so I'm gonna use it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The back side is pretty rough, but I'm gonna do it in bedliner anyway so i'm not too worried about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things were going good when all of a sudden I heard a loud pop from my air compressor only to look up and see a giant fire ball shoot of it. Upon further inspection, the main power line had slid over into the tube that feeds the tank and melted a hole in it over time. When the power touched the metal, it arched and blew a hole in the metal pipe.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got the electrical fixed no problem but it blew a hole in the main air line, gonna take a little sourcing to get a new one so my air is down for a few days looks like!

But there was plenty more work to be done, we jumped on the dent in the fender, I gotta say, it turned out pretty dang good! It's gonna require very, very little bondo to make it right, depending on how it looks after the high build primer, I may even leave it as is for a little bit of character.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. cobra_4

cobra_4

All right been making some pretty good progress this week, just hadn't had time to post anything up until now.

Sunday's progress.

Got the tailgate cleaned up and ready for paint.
    [​IMG]

Hit it with some self etching primer as well as the truck in spots that were to the metal or very close to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dug one of my steel wheels out for a test fit. I know the fronts will be perfect, but I wasn't sure how narrow the backs would look. Its not bad though, I think for now I can make the difference up with a little wider tire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the self etching primer was dry, I hit it with the first coat of high build primer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Six can's in all for the first coat.
    [​IMG]

Monday

FINALLY got my transmission delivered that I bought like two years ago. Turns out, its a Turbo 400 which is a plus but it will take a little modification to install, no biggie.

[​IMG]

Added another coat of high build primer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tuesday

Annnnd some red.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In a nostalgic way, I kinda like the look of the red, reminds me of how the truck looked when I first got it. But I'll probably continue on with the black back to red patina'd look. Gotta order some more red paint right now, it took more than I figured to put the red on.

20. cobra_4

cobra_4

21. cobra_4

cobra_4

So i'm about a week behind on photos, just hadn't had time to post them.
    I ended up doing the truck in black as planned. I didn't take a ton of photos until it was done, but there was some trail and error in getting the faded look I wanted.

My first hope was to take some strong cleaner and wipe some of the black back off before it cured good, that didn't work.

My second plan was to sand through, but the black was so thick, it just turned too grey and I never could get into the red without going too deep. So I ended up repainting a few parts of the truck during the trail and error stage.

So finally, I realized if I was gonna get the look I wanted, I was going to have to sand, then repaint the red over top.

[​IMG]

So after I got the places I wanted sanded, I lightly coated them in red. Instead of spraying the can directly on it, I help it sideways and just kinda fogged the red on. Also, I forgot to mention in most places I only did one coat of black so that some of the red would shine through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I cleared it with matte clear, the photos didn't turn out great, but it looks really good I think. I'll get it outside, untapped and what not in a few days and get some better pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. davidh73750

davidh73750