Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Stepside vs fleetside... Dilemma...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by summersshow, Nov 9, 2015.

?
  1. Stepside

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. Fleetside

32 vote(s)
    76.2%
  1. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

So here's a thinker for everyone messing with old trucks... Since I'm trying to decide which for my truck...
    Fleetside or stepside?
    And why?

My truck is a 62 that had a factory stepside, but I have a fleetside. While I do know where some stepsides are...

Your opinion...

2. squirrel

squirrel

The boxy trucks from the 60s and newer look better with a fleetside bed. The lines flow.

3. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

What Squirel said!

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Purely a matter of choice. Stepside easer to load and unload but fleetside holds more. Stepside more traditional or old fashioned look, fleetside sleeker.

If you are going to lower it or go for any kind of custom look, definitely fleetside

If you are going for more of a trad hot rod look, definitely stepside.

Incidentally when I say stepside I mean the short box version. Long box, you might as well go fleetside because you lose the cool look with the long box.

scotty t and 2racer like this.

5. '55 Cameo's ruined me so I'm a Fleetsider .

6. TLDLTD

TLDLTD

Fleetsider here too..they have a cleaner look, especially on a 60's truck.

7. slowmotion

slowmotion

I prefer Fleet, long or short. Step gotta be short only.

belair likes this.
  8. image.jpeg My preference is fleetside

slowmotion, treb11 and little red 50 like this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm with Rusty O'Toole------short bed, hot rod, stepside for sure. Lowered custom, long or short bed, fleetside. I never did care for a long bed stepside. Most all short bed stepsides look good to me, my newest pickup, a 99, is a stepside. There's just something about those fenders being filled with big tires that I like.....

10. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

IMHO For a nice painted truck fleetside bed. A grumpy old weathered work truck just looks meaner as a stepside.

11. Fleetside, all the way

12. yruhot

yruhot

Some guys like straight hair some like curly hair, I'm like Jesus I love them all.lol. I guess it depends if you want a hotrod or a good workingtruck. Working go with the fleetside cruiser I like the stepside. Ive got one of each so how can I chose.lol.yruhot

13. Go with what you like.HRP

14. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

60 or newer Chevy... Fleetside for me. Short or long.

15. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends if you need to reach in and cinch up the tie downs yer goats or not. That thar step comes in handy. Fleetside is for purty city boys tryin to pick up gals

PS I voted Fleetside.

16. belair

belair

I voted Fleetside. Cameos did me in too. But you got to have a really straight bed.

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Short box stepside. Something is just more "hot rod" about it. Fleetsides are ok, don't hate em, but the stepside always did it for me, especially on early trucks. Exceptions to the rule, Cameos as was mentioned and Ford unibody versions, but this is in reference to short wheelbase trucks only. I never cared for long wheelbase trucks as hot rod or custom fodder. Just sayin...

leadfootloon and brad2v like this.
  18. Yep, the later trucks with the step side look like an after thought to me the fleet side is just much sleeker.

Just an added caveat it was not mentioned if it is a short or long bed. My little brother had a '62 long step side. Long bed fleet side every time, the long step side looks like a forestry truck or a baby fire truck.

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The truck has two sides, right? Dare to be different.

TLDLTD and belair like this.
  20. My 61 came to me as a fleetside shortbox. Guy I sold it to put a step side box on it. I like 'em both ways but prefer a step side for a shortie...won't own a long box.
    Rockys61chevypu.jpg

slowmotion likes this.
  21. slowmotion

slowmotion

Beaner, show 'em that pic of 'the original' farm truck doin' a big ole smokey...:D

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

back in my formative years in the 70's in the Bay Area people did not build fleetside trucks to be cool. they were just trucks. 95% of the lowered cool trucks were short bed step sides.

23. You are a sick sick man @RichFox :D :D :D

Well that explains th price on my old beater. I always thought that you liked my truck. :D

OK then fleetsides forever.

Oh and just to clarify I do not have my foot on the brake in this shot and it is just an old farm truck born and bred. :D

[​IMG]

slowmotion likes this.
  24. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Mine is a short wheel base 62 with a 327 and an auto, sorry I forgot to mention short wheel base.
    My 64 I had was a long bed fleetside and had all the trim. I fixed her up but sadly never got to enjoy. First cruise I went to guy offered me 11k for it, given I had about 2k in her, off she went...
    I really enjoy this shirt wheel base better but how do they look finished with no trim?
    The trim is my big decision maker...
    I don't want trim on this truck...

25. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

So you can get an idea of how she looks... Body will probably look like that for a while since I just shelled out almost 70k on a heart surgery for my 4 year old son... But he's better now and enjoys messing with stuff with me.

Attached Files:

26. stimpy

stimpy

replace the valve guides already .......geeesh . :eek::eek::D

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  27. stimpy

stimpy

for me step sides a cruiser , fleetside is a work truck ,a short bed fleetside is useless city boy truck,

know one of the weirdest things I saw on the farm was a shortbed step side dually , but it served a purpose, it was a gooseneck hauler ..

28. belair

belair

Dang-after all you've been through, if I had a bed, I would give it to you. Glad your son is well.

29. <--- This is what mine came with...BUT if I had to do it again, I think I might go look for a 58-9 short fleet...

30. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

It all depends what you like. I like all but have a 50 and a 65 step side short box trucks. They are Hot Rods to me and if you want to haul brush a step side will make a believer out of you. I actually voted step side. Gary:D