Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1957 Chevy Frame ID from one pic alone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Preacher, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

I stumbled into a project that is much nicer than I originally thought... I am blown away with the details on the frame, it is an aftermarket, but I am not sure who made it... They did some neat stuff to lower the rear including a c-notch that looks great, but also leaf springs that flow up into the frame... it is a neat design and all the welds seem to be factory...

Anybody good enough to ID it on one pic? I want to know who it is made by?
    IMG_8816.JPG

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Nice pans !!! Lucky you. Can't help with the frame manufacture ... but they make pocketed leaf spring re locator kits for those. Again, no clue ... but looks like these. What's the rest of the ride look like ? When you are able of course ....

[​IMG]

3. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the info Kidcampbell71, I only have this other pic... I know most people use cell phones, but they don't work great in our area, hence I don't take too many pics... A friend of mine took these 2 yesterday and sent them to me... The frame looks too clean for an original, (even powder coated) hence I am leaning towards and aftermarket company... originally I was just going to gasser it, but after getting it home I am noticing it may be too nice to undo all the work someone else has done to it... IMG_8812.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my guess is a modified original. looks like 57 front suspension.

lawman likes this.

5. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

looks like original seamless frame

6. Awww' man. Awesome. Go forth and enjoy !!!

7. I also think its an original seamless.

8. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I agree with above - looks like a modified "california" one piece frame with spring pockets welded in

lawman likes this.
  9. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

OK second dumb question of the night.. what is a California seamless and how is it different from any other kind of 57 frame?

10. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

Never mind... just searched it and found a hamb thread on it... rephrasing my question would it be a wasted to cut the front end of this frame off to make a gasser :)

lawman likes this.
  11. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

12. verde742

verde742

If there was a weld looking up from botom, from front to back holding two "c" channels together,,,, well you get the drift..

13. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

Why I love the hamb.

14. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

The term "California Frame" always makes me laugh. The only cars that I've found them under were built in either Janesville Wis. or Norwood Ohio. Every Oakland or LA built Chevy that I've seen had the two piece frame under them.

15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a stock seamless frame to me--with spring pockets added as someone said above. Just sold my 57 FI car a while back --Oakland built with seamless frame.

16. mike bowling

mike bowling

Making a gasser out of anything is never "wrong", especially a Tri-5 Chebbie!

Preacher and lawman like this.
  17. Also called a Nascar frame as they were seamless and lighter than original and needed to be a production unit to be able to use them for racing. I have found them under all 3 years of production from 150 cheap model to Nomad. Not super rare, but harder to find than a regular frame.

18. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I'll just add in like the others, I think its modified stock. my 210 came with a seamless actually. I've seen more seamless frames than 2 piece. Not sure about weight, but they sure look nicer. If you wanted to gasserize it youre already on your way to wider tires under it.

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Does it have a 1 piece front bumper or a 3 piece bumper? I know easily changed.
    I have always heard the 1 piece units called "California Style".