Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage FORGED Magazine Fall 2015 Premier Issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Joker, Oct 22, 2015.

1. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

Found a copy at the local drug store in So. Dak.

2. Glad ya got one...always cool to see yourself or friends in print....I really like this magazine...I hope they add a little more content next time, pick up some unique advertisers, and keep this going.

3. quidnunc

quidnunc
    from pittsburgh

Found some at the B&N at Settler's Ridge Mall (Robinson Twp.) outside Pittsburgh.They had 3 copies.I agree with most of the previous comments. The quality,content and photos are pretty impressive for a first issue. I'm fairly particular about what mags I buy and the only ones I would not hesitate on was Rolls & Pleats (gone) and Hop Up. I'll pass on Rodder's Journal even if there's not enough to interest me. I suggest giving this one a shot IMHO.

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I like printed media but I see a lot of these new mags as poser mags. I like hot rods, some street rods, restorations, etc. but I do not like the lifestyle pretenders. Looking like they did back in the day is not what it is all about. The cars yes, clothing and tats no. If this posing is accurate then who were the old guys posing as? I'll check out the mag if I can find one but there is no way I'm running out to get a tat, roll my jeans up for cuffs, and pretend I live in the late forties, fifties ( though I was manufactured in '56), or the early '60's. Let the haters chime in......

302GMC likes this.
  5. Let's see....coverage of dirt drags, some cool cars, article on wheel mfg., a article on a pretty solid car club taken at TROG last year, history of the flathead, Santa Maria coverage....yep sounds like a bunch of " posers "
    Some of us like a little history with our Car Magazines.....Old School Rods or Rat Rod magazine this is not...I didn't see a Truck cab, tractor grill, or diesel motor anywhere,
    There's a pic on page 57 that should make ya happy...older guy, cargo shorts, trail shoes, sun glasses with cord....not a poser..or is he???

Max Gearhead likes this.
  6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Nice try at rebuttal. I'm not talking about Forged per se just a few of the other new mags. If you read my post you would have seen it was focussed on the "lifestyle" aspect not on the cars. As far as "liking a little history with our car magazines", I find that comment quite funny as I teach history so I like a little history with a lot of things. I will look at Forged if I get a chance and hopefully it will be as good as some of my favourites.

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Found a copy at Publix of all places (grocery chain in FL) and liked it. Loved the Dirt Drags piece the best, Mike being an inspirational kind of guy to me. No wardrobe (costume) change needed / required / desired, IMHO, to enjoy the wide variety of automotive interests out there. Ok, perhaps a hat change now and then. Gary

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How cool is that Boobie! Gotta get me one.

BloodyKnuckles likes this.
  9. weldtoride

weldtoride

Found a copy accidentally the other night at a Jewel (Chicago area chain) grocery store. Pricey, but I thought it good to support print that's trying to make a go and give it at least one chance. Content vs. ad ratio is way, way in favor of content. Lots of good content, loads of large images, so I didn't feel cheated. Unlike TEN publications that push the content/ad ratio to the point where they run content images smaller than business cards, and truncate tech articles to the point where they end abruptly. Don't they realize people buy magazines for the content?

I know that TEN's business model is selling ads to businesses, not content to guys like me. From the looks of TEN's recent email offer for low, low, Halloween subscription rates it look like they are desperate to get their subscription numbers up on certain titles in order to do so.

Forged's ratio may be because its a premier, maybe because its a quarterly publication, time will tell. Engaged Media, if you are lurking here: my purchase model is buying content, not buying ads. Keep the content coming.

10. There's a really cool old Gasser in there too :D

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

hotroddon - not much gets past you, in more ways than one

hotroddon likes this.
  12. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

By the looks some of the "Staff" I wonder if there isn't a tie in to the old "World of Rods" magazine?

micamountain likes this.
  13. Tim Sutton gets around...

14. tallhtrddr

tallhtrddr

Finally got one. I like it. Good read

15. ThompsonSpeed

ThompsonSpeed

Found it a Wal-Mart yesterday and was just about to make a post about it, very nice mag in my opinion!

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Ralphs Market

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. Found mine in a local grocery (Fry's). They had tons of 'em sitting on the shelf.

Overall I liked the mag - especially the Colorado dirt drags story - but like what's been stated already, I'm not in to the lifestyle thing. Tattoo artists don't ring my bell, tech and learning how the other guy did it does. The advertising-as-content sections in the back (e-cigars? Really? Thought I was reading Playboy for a minute.) I could've done without. Is it supposed to be a lifestyle magazine? I wasn't sure.

But the biggest thing that bugs me is that there doesn't seem to be any editing done. When you put out a periodical, you become journalists, and as such you take on the responsibility for spelling and grammar that goes beyond what appears on Internet forums. I don't really want to "pore over" [sic] the stories. "There", "they're" and "their" are three different words with different meanings. Use "then" when you're talking about time or a sequence and "than" when you mean "instead of". A writer doesn't have to become all scholarly and stuffy when creating their prose (like I just did), but let's do better because we can and we should.

There, I'm off my soapbox. For a while..... :D

46international and HD Driver like this.
  18. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Amen to that!

19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I agree with you in general, but "pore over" is actually correct usage unless you're putting out a kitchen fire. See here:
    http://grammarist.com/spelling/pore-over-pour-over/

20. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a friend send me the issues and I thought it was very Kool. Love magazines
    that are committed to real Kustoms & Hot Rods. I'm looking forward to the next one.

21. Thank you, 50Fraud! All these years I've been using "pour" incorrectly...I like it when I learn something new.

22. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Just found this last night at Publix. Great photos and content.

23. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Way to go, Nitrobrother and 50Fraud. I teach foreign language and it's truly heartwarming to see grammar reinforced with my daily dose of HAMB. There was a time when elegance of expression and proper delivery was appreciated and lately it seems, well, you know, I mean, we're reduced to monosyllabic utterances. Since most on the HAMB know what they're about, they don't need a lifestyle magazine to coach them through their daily routine. Thanks for making my day.

24. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

All of the Petersen titles had their own real copy editors (usually a retired English teacher) in the sixties. They were pretty successful in turning car guys into writers. To this day, I can't remember a single women that hung out with the car guys that had tattoos.

25. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I wasn't a fan of the layout. Why put in every picture you took for the article and make 1"x1"? Fewer pictures that are larger in size would make an article more enjoyable to read! Also on many of the pages the copy was hard to read due to the font, and layout. Between this, and the new "roadkill" magazine, I can see people think print media is going away soon!

26. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

BloodyKnuckles likes this.
  27. Timbofor

Timbofor

The advertising guy at work reached out to his buddies that publish this magazine. There will be just the single issue this year, and for next year they have 2 issues slated for print.

28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Timbofor - Thanks for info.

29. One of my customers here in the UK., bought a copy on holiday and was very impressed.
    Reading all your comments was very useful; I've just made arrangements to bring it over here to England !!

stealthcruiser likes this.
  30. It is being published by Engaged Media, which includes Tom The Mongoose McEwen's Drag Racer magazine, Street Trucks, DRIVE and other titles. They also do quite a few Gun magazines and even something called Zombies - LOL
    [​IMG]