Register now to get rid of these ads!

vintage boats,who alls got em

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by hvychvy, Feb 1, 2007.

1. James426

James426

The car just has the allusion that the rear is narrowed, but it is stock VW. It handles like a heavy VW. I've only had it up to about 60mph without any plans to go much faster. :) Here is s short video.

7car7 likes this.
  2. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

3. dryhoze1

dryhoze1
    from California

4. I don't have one of my own(sigh) but have painted a few.
    Here is one that was built by the owner's father circa 1955.Fiberglass over plywood;12 ft.originally powered by a 100hp flathead(!) it now has a Capri V-6. Supposedly room for two people in the stern(yeah! people who weigh about 80 lbs.).
    Second one is a Skipper Craft circa 1958 a friend of mine was selling. Not too sure what it was powered by originally. Unusual "step" in the side about mid ship.
    Next is a 1958 Turn-A-Craft built in Quincy Michigan.Owner brought it down in the back of a Chrysler minivan! Powered by a 10hp outboard. JennyB09.jpg JennyB011.jpg SkipperCraft1.jpg SkipperCraft2.jpg Turn A Craft 009.jpg Cutter2.jpg
    Last is a Cutter I photographed at a local boat storage place. Weirdest looking boat I've ever seen.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  5. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

6. bchctybob

bchctybob

I picked this one up at a garage sale for $1000 years ago with plans to pull the 392 Hemi to use in my Willys pickup. It had such nice stuff in it I couldn't bear to part it out. It had been all redone, painted, then sat and the top surfaces got sunburned. So I got the engine freshened up and polished up and running but stalled when it came time to repaint and upholster it. Not sure of the make as there are no ID plates or numbers anywhere, the papers I got with it said Rickshaw Marine, never heard of it and there doesn't seem to be any info on the internet. I think it's a 1965 or 66 since it has a mid-deck. It has all M/T marine equipment and real 409 dual quad carbs on it.
    I'm looking to get the wood deck redone and get it painted. IMG_0248.JPG IMG_0249.JPG

7. dryhoze1

dryhoze1
    from California

Great Find !!
    Send me an email if you want the go to guy for the wooddeck restoration.
    All the best ,
    Brian

Keep this thread going folks !!
    If you have an old boat sitting around, lets see them :)

8. rt1976

rt1976
    from indy

picked this up last week, 1969 Johnson 19' Surfer. It was laid up in the 80's with 450 hours on the clock

Attached Files:

Fedman likes this.
  9. bchctybob

bchctybob

I was hoping you would have a contact. Your Sanger looks awesome.
    I'm in Nor Cal just east of Lodi.

10. flyin-t

flyin-t

Here's another Rickshaw, a '65 with a glass deck which looks exactly like the deck on you boat. Are you sure its a wood deck? Somewhere I have an old ad for Rickshaw, I'll try to find it for you.

[​IMG]

There are 2 wood deck guys that have been the best in their fields for decades.

One is Harlan Orrin down in Fallbrook Ca. I think you can get his number by just goggling his name. He's been THE guy since the 50s, his uncle owned Mandella Boats at one time. I've know him since I was a kid in the 60s when he lived just down the street. My dad was just getting into the boat biz then and we lived in ground zero of the hot boat world, it was great.

The other guy is John Miller who learned his craft from his dad who owned Miller boats. He's in Arroyo Grande Ca, a little closer to you and he's got a site web site. Unbelievably talented guy. I met him at the v-drive show in Bass lake a few years ago, very cool guy.
    One of John's decks

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    Paul B and 36 ROKIT like this.
  11. bchctybob

bchctybob

Hey thanks Flyin-t. Someone has actually heard of Rickshaws!?!? I can't seem to view your pictures though.
    It has an all glass deck with a recess that has a veneer laid in it. All across the deck and down the top of the gunnels. I stripped the original veneer out, cleaned the area and bonded in new Brazilian Mahogany. I 'glassed it and sanded it smooth and stopped short of clear coating it - big mistake. I got distracted by other projects and just like the original owner, it sat for a while in my shop, then in front of my shop. I closed up my shop and moved out of L.A. to my current digs in NorCal and by the time I got back to it, the deck needs to be done again due to moisture and temp cycling. Shoulda sealed it.
    I did look up Harlan Orrin when I first got the boat but forgot about him. Miller does spectacular work but I'm afraid he may be way outa my budget, not sure that this boat is worthy of the $$ that takes. A Mandella, early Schiada, Sanger, Howard, no question but a Rickshaw? Not sure. I finally have the resources to get it done but I'm still a family guy with budget considerations.
    Between putting a new motor in the wife's Corvair, building chassis for friends cars, and tinkering with the Austin sedan in the picture (latest acquisition), I've been distracted again. Hopefully, now is the time.

12. bchctybob

bchctybob

Hey Flyin-T, I finally got the picture to load!! Man that boat looks great even with the painted deck. Definitely an option if it comes to that.
    Mine was originally 'flake green with the wood inserts and white accents on the sides. I always wanted to put it back just like that but realized that that kind of restoration was probably beyond my means. The two tone blue is paint applied over the original gelcoat. Nice job, but sunburned on all top surfaces.
    Thanks for posting the pix.....

13. flyin-t

flyin-t

I was pretty sure it was a glass deck but I couldn't see what was going on ahead of the dash.

I have a friend with a shop in OC that has done exactly this, the veneer I mean, to newer boats. He does it from start to finish, he's got a glass shop. I've know him since we worked together in the 70s. If you're interested pm me and I'll give you his info. You're right though, Harlan or Miller is going to be expensive to do an entire wood deck.
    If you haven't already been there head on over to the performance boat forum and hang out in the v-drive section (that's where the guy that owns that Rickshaw posted his pics, by the way it's all original and still owned by the original family) It's a nice mix of family stuff, racers and lots of vintage flatties.

What's up with that slant cab in the back ground?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  14. flyin-t

flyin-t

Found the ad was talking about, kinda. I looked through some of my old mags and struck out but found this on a boat site posted by a guy that has a lot of the same old boat crap that I do but he scans and posts a hell of a lot more than me.
    enjoy
    [​IMG]

15. Smoothy

Smoothy

Here's my familys 1973 Glastron Carlson CV16, that my grandpa bought new. It's all original, never touched. Unbelievable that it sat in the barn with a dirt floor since the late 80's and only had a tarp protecting it. Screenshot_2015-09-15-12-42-14.png carlsoncv16firstoutingsince1984date.jpg

16. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

Heres a couple of mine....

1963 Renken
    Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Launched.....
    [​IMG]

1969 Glasspar
    Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

First Mate....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    Paul B likes this.
  17. bchctybob

bchctybob

Nice little boats ArtGeco.
    A couple of years ago my wife and I started looking at small vintage outboards. We found a nice little fiberglass 16 footer that needed some TLC nearby. The guy wanted $1000 for it, we got him down to $350 and went home to get the truck while he cleaned it out. When we got back, closer inspection showed it had some serious rot in the wood sheathing sandwiched in the floor. We told him; sorry no deal, and got ready to leave. His Mom came out with the papers in hand and said, "Just get that damned thing outa here!" Free. So we looked at each other and said; no. She insisted, so we took it.
    We cleaned it up and I made plans to fix the floor until I noticed that the bulkhead that held the Evinrude Starflight 50 was all dry-rotted too. We gave it to the husband of the Jehovah's Witness lady who comes by regularly.
    Too bad, it was a cute little thing but i have enough major projects to last two lifetimes......

Attached Files:

1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  18. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Love Vdrive flats. Extremely dangerous. If you don't know what you're doing can kill you easy. Can kill you easy even, when you know! I know ran V-drive '66 Beyers flat w/425 Buick. Flipped at 70. Also ran '63 RaysonCraft w/392 and webers. S/K class boat on Grass Lake, IL.

19. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Hemi boat was the Greyhound

20. cosmic12

cosmic12

Finally got one to put behind my 52. 1959 Custom Craft. It is cleaning up nice but I have to do the floor and transom. Got it from the orig owner with all the history and paper work including sales booklets/manuals/tool kit/spare parts everything you could ask for and more. Gona be a long winter. Home getting cleaned 022.jpg Home getting cleaned 038.jpg

21. cosmic12

cosmic12

22. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

image.jpeg image.jpeg A good friend of mine just finished this one. He's also the guy that originally built my coupe years ago.

23. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

24. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

just in time for summer-1959 Glasspar G3 with original motor and trailer

Attached Files:

25. dryhoze1

dryhoze1
    from California

First launch after complete restoration.

LeadSledMerc, Tiny and flyin-t like this.
  26. dryhoze1

dryhoze1
    from California

27. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I hate when you're trying to research something on the internet and all you can find is stuff you posted a half-dozen years ago...

28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

29. cac646

cac646

My boat is a little new for this forum but the motor is definitely hot rod. 1977 Spectra 21'. Bone stock from '77 other than the 454 w/ 8-71 and dual quads. Big hull but will run 80mph.

Attached Files:

30. flyin-t

flyin-t

Nice boat cac646. Had 2 Spectra's in the past, this one I should have kept. My wife is still pissed at me for selling it.
    [​IMG]

Paul B and Ron Funkhouser like this.