Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Started Pinstriping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junk fiend, Nov 5, 2015.

1. junk fiend

junk fiend

finally got a brush and paint a few days ago. ive wanted to pinstripe since i was a kid! good from afar but far from good!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rich B. and Texas Webb like this.
  2. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I'd say you're doing pretty good for only being a few days into it. Keep it up!

3. junk fiend

junk fiend

thanks fellas! i thought for sure i would lay down a few lines and be super frustrated and give up. but im having alot of fun and learning something every brush stroke.

4. steady hand,you got it going on.

5. Brentphx

Brentphx

Nicely done! I'd have no issues with those on my car... Keep it up!

6. alchemy

alchemy

Looks great, especially for a beginner. Just make sure to never leave a line hanging (open ended).

7. junk fiend

junk fiend

thanks! that stool was only half done, to lazy to take another picture hehe.

8. slowmotion

slowmotion

Looks good, you're on your way right outa the gate. Just a heads up, I don't know your age, but keep this stuff. If you stick with it, a few decades down the road you can always lock back at your first strokes ever.

9. junk fiend

junk fiend

just did these, weird textured surface probably isnt the best to practice on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rich B. likes this.
  10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Don't ever quit. Lots of excellent stripers just went on to other interests, and wandered off the pallet.

Von Franco never quit...He had some of his designs put onto water-slide decals! Pretty crafty...

11. flypa38

flypa38

Lookin good!
    You may already know this stuff, but here are a few tips I learned with trial and error that would have been good to know from the start!
    If you're right handed, work left to right in order to keep your mitts out of the wet paint.
    If you're using two or more colors, start with the color that is closer to the background surface color.
    As stated earlier, never end with an open line......but if you sort of have to, put a couple dots after the line. It finishes what would otherwise appear to need more. Good looking dots can be made with the pointy end of the handle.
    Penetrol is good stuff.
    Learn to clean your brushes and care for them just as thoroughly as you're learning the art of laying lines.
    You're certainly off to a good start!

12. What also works if you put a "cloth" type Band-Aid on your slider finger (mine is the pinky) so it slides easier.
    practicing on rough surfaces give you more control.......
    practice....practice....practice....use glass or a mirror, you can clean if off.....
    Ps....come up with a logo..... intertwine your initials

13. Nice work my tips if your frustrated call it day most people will pull lines for days then try a desing look at then wipe it off the best thing to do is try fixing it to look as correct as possible i draw designs every day with paint or pencil good luck

14. junk fiend

junk fiend

thanks for the tips. i have a hard time practicing on glass, i cant take it serious knowing i can just easily wipe it off so i dont try very hard.

15. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

One of the reasons for using glass is that it's a very slick surface that's not that easy to work on and you can wipe it off when your thru with your practice piece . My suggestion is that when you've completed a "practice" piece , take a photo of it before wiping the glass clean . You then have a record of your progress as you become more accomplished and can see if you're improving or not . Becoming an accomplished pinstriper is not going to happen quickly , it will take time and perseverance . Good luck with your endeavor .

16. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

An old master said practice on a mirror - if you can pull lines on a mirror you can stripe anything.

17. junk fiend

junk fiend

should i be cleaning my brush and palette fresh paint every few minutes? im having trouble with my paint drying up a little on my brush and its messing up my lines. i try to keep adding reducer as it dries but it doesnt work to good and i dont want to waste paint.

heres some more practice.
    (i know white should have been first but i just got it today)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Since you live in Glendora , I would suggest that you go to the roadster show ( GNRS) the end of January on Friday and Saturday and hang around where the pinstripers are set up and do some serious watching . I'm sure that if you pay attention you'll pick up lots of good information and pointers . There are several stripers there with lots of experience . Good luck .

19. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I've watched a hand full of guys that make their living doing this stuff and everyone of them do things a little different - the temperture and humidity and even the wind can determine the type of thinning to use. Pulling the paint from a flat surface or a little cup, or even how you hold your brush. You'll develope a way that's comfortable for you - there are no set rules to follow.
    I'm a rank amateur and only stripe for myself - so there are some days the brushes don't want to work for me - lol! But there's great deal of pleasure seeing the results and when someone comments your work. So practice practice practice.

20. It takes for ever to learn how you like your paint i have wierd habbits like i shake my mineral spirits i use klean odorless what you use makes a difference turps makes more sticky my opinion suggest paint one shot brush mack blue wrap 00 how do you know your close when your running on the tip and making a thin line. Some people say minneral spirits is not a good thinner becuase it is not accurate made like one shot brand make sure your paint stirred good or mix well if this dosent help you start apprentice ship witch I recommend i been doing this off and on for 3 yrs wish i would have done apprenticeship when i had time.

21. junk fiend

junk fiend

update just for fun. been practicing on this huge mirror like everyone has been suggesting, makes it seem alot easier when you go to a normal surface after.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and my friend let me do this to his old toolbox.
    [​IMG]

22. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

You're getting better. I read a quote once, I think it was by Von Dutch, his advice on learning to stripe was "Buy a gallon of 1 Shot and practice until it's gone, then you'll know if you're a stripper or not.". Keep going!

23. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Man I wish I had your talent. Looks real nice. Keep at it.

24. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Thinning is still what I need to work on. And pulling a long line. One tip, and maybe it is just more my taste, but I prefer the darker color on top, lighter color underneath. Lighter color on top seems to overpower the darker color. Doing great, keep at it.

25. junk fiend

junk fiend

getting a little better!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not finished yet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Latigo

Latigo

Haven't seen a refrigerator yet. When does that get stripped?
    Looking good Pardner!

27. junk fiend

junk fiend

haha the only fridge i could stripe is my parents garage fridge. but its already covered in stickers.

28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg Your work looks great to me. I do very little but like to do some more after seeing this thread. At one time nothing was safe at work when I was on nights. Rough surfaces are the worst. Here's my Bonneville pith helmet.

29. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

I would be happy to have it on my cars......and not all the experts were expert when they started;)