Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Shoebox build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Brentphx, Aug 13, 2014.

1. No problem, glad to help.

2. Brentphx

Brentphx

Everything is in place, exhaust bolted back up. I apparently cross threaded the distribution block in the front, had a pretty nice leak. I hosed the threads, that's what I get for inserting the line at an odd angle with limited visibility from underneath, one handed. I swapped it out for a 3 way tee ala autozone and it looks good now.

Rear cylinders have Russell 639590 speed bleeders installed in the rear and bled, I'm really happy with how easy they were to bleed!! Apparently the front bleeders were swapped at some point, they have metric bleeders?!? that are too long to remove without pulling the cylinder/drum (they hit the upright). So, I'm stuck until this weekend when I can have a second set of legs to pump the brake the old fashioned way.

I wasn't positive that the rear bleeders were seated perfectly, many reviews with old cars said to grind down the tips a bit so I matched theirs.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447292425.492938.jpg .

3. Brentphx

Brentphx

A nice rainy morning got me inspired to go install the Newport wiper motor I bought last year. Once I got the wiper arms off, the assembly drops out easily. As other people have mentioned, the support bracket for the new motor does need to be bent to fit. I'm not sure how the intended it to attach without getting in the way of the arms, so I made it work. I'll wire it in tomorrow, but it's up there at least!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447616786.744412.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447616798.831373.jpg

Here's how I attached it to the old assembly...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447616833.765196.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447616844.553228.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447616860.344727.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447616874.886034.jpg

Edit- does anybody need a working vacuum wiper motor? Not sure if they're worth anything, but hey... So long as you use it and not resell it I'm happy to pass it on.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  4. Brentphx

Brentphx

Time to wax and break out the detailing spray... it's show season again now that the weather is nice here! I'll be mounting my hamb tag on the firewall tomorrow, I've put that off way too long. I'll be on the lookout for hamb tags and for bumpers with better chrome at the GoodGuys show this weekend, fingers crossed for the swap meet. I'd love to cart home some shiny chrome!

5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I just did that wiper conversion on my Shoebox. Went pretty easily, all told. That support bracket needed a LOT of massaging , LOL ! Wipers work really well now, and are 2 speed to boot :cool: .

6. Brentphx

Brentphx

My favorite part is them not slowing down while I accelerate!! Stupid vacuum motors!

7. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

What do you want ? You want the wipers to actually WORK when you flip the switch, and keep running smoothly till you turn the switch off ?
    Ha-ha !

8. Brentphx

Brentphx

Just registered for the show, I'm car #1808, that's a LOT of cars

9. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I've planned to buy that Newport wiper motor too,good to know that there is some bending job with the assembly.Thanks for sharing that!

10. Brentphx

Brentphx

My god this car is gorgeous from every angle. The pictures posted on here of it don't do it justice. I probably spent 30 min looking at every angle.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448069396.701908.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448069409.654894.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448069421.093802.jpg

11. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I have the same wiper set up in mine and it was a great upgrade. I use to daily drive mine when I lived in LA and also for the first year I lived in North Jersey before I got hurt.

12. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It's not really a big deal, just a support bracket that stabilizes the motor. It just isn't shaped right out of the box, and I'm a bit particular ;)

13. Brentphx

Brentphx

3500 cars registered for the show. Massive turnout! Here's a pic snapped on the drive up this am.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448145437.650421.jpg

Unclekeg likes this.
  14. Brentphx

Brentphx

Early Xmas present from Sams club... Too bad it's a convertible, aside from the top the only difference is the 3 rib skirts and the continental kit. I wish my chrome was this nice!!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450658067.144982.jpg

49Flatty likes this.
  15. Brentphx

Brentphx

I was just going through stuff in the garage, went and re-read the paperwork that I inherited with the car. In case anyone thinks that dealerships are rough on trade in's now, how about getting $50 for a 1930 Model A?!? Pretty cool to get the whole history on a car when you buy it, I have all kinds of receipts and fun stuff (kinda ends in the 90's though).

new doc 5_1.jpg

new doc 5_2.jpg

new doc 5_3.jpg

16. Brentphx

Brentphx

Gorgeous week for driving. Mid 80s, blue and bright!

[​IMG]

17. Brentphx

Brentphx

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1456972505.654652.jpg

Sunrise lined up for the car show this last weekend

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  18. Channel49

Channel49

19. am about to install the newport wiper conversion in my 50 Tudor, appreciate the pics and details. Plus the whole saga of Old Iron and getting them running just right. The sunrise pic is classic thanks

20. Brentphx

Brentphx

It's not bad at all... There were a few moments when I wished I had a third arm, but stopping to take a breath and clear my head helped. Just don't try to do it with the wiper linkage still attached to the cowl. That was my biggest and first mistake. Getting the linkage down was a whole different matter, getting the arms off was the worst part of this whole job. Get the arms off, loosen the locknut outside the cowl a few threads then I used a soft mallet to tap them loose.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  21. Any tricks for getting the arms off? On the pickups I have done it without taking the arms off but this looks bit more crowded up in there

22. Brentphx

Brentphx

I want to say that I pried up the locking tab then wiggled the arm and used a small prybar or large screwdriver to help walk it up the thread. Once they were off, I used the zip tie on the threads trick (from the tech week posts) to get the right alignment for reinstalling the arms. That got me within one groove of correct without much trial and error.

23. Thanks for the pics, just about finished the steering upgrades and heading for the wiper install.
    You mentioned the Zip tie on the threads trick, got a link to that one? Anything to reduce the use of the F word.... FFFFFrustration

24. Brentphx

Brentphx

Sure! http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-week-wiper-arm-install.993460/#post-11191847

Hmm, reduce frustration... Check your wiring to the switch if you can't get high speed. I had two wires switched, Newport knew exactly what I had done when I emailed. A second set of hands maybe if you can arrange it.. Or maybe just someone to start the nut outside of the cowl when you're putting it back up (or maybe LIGHTLY attach a set of vice grips on the splines just to keep it from falling back down)

25. Great tip, always appreciate the easier route.

26. Hey Brent! Any more progress? Haven't seen you around.

27. Brentphx

Brentphx

I'm still lurking, haven't had much to post. I put a few things on indefinite hold, like ac. The drop springs on the floor of the garage are a constant reminder that I'm slacking lol

I lost the need for many of the things I had planned... Mother in law used to "borrow" my car for months at a time when she'd come to town for a looong visit. Swapped my d.d. for a Toyota FJ which is just one big blind spot which means I no longer need alternate means of transportation during the miserable az summer... Over my dead body is she wrecking either of my toys! This means I was able to dry dock the 50 for the summer.

Just took it out for a spin last weekend, first drive of the season. Car show time is here, I have a friend that's willing to lend a second set of hands to lower it. Might get it done before Nov for the Goodguys show here. Enjoying her as is for now!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Brentphx

Brentphx

I have the car loaded up with a trunk full of fun... Bill of sale filled out and ready to notarize... And the shipper will be here on Saturday sometime to load her up and head NE. This old car has found itself a new home up in Wisconsin with a dude named Greg. He spotted the alliance badge on the firewall in some pictures I sent him and has been reading up on some threads here.

Greg - feel free to introduce yourself and you can always start your own thread now too... Paste the link here so I (and anyone else) can follow along as you make your additions to the car. Good luck, happy cruising!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Brentphx

Brentphx

30. Did you get tired of her???