Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Opinion Piece

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 3, 2015.

1. It's your "beater", run what ya have till the 5 spokes appear. I like how #1 looks.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too bad the 14's won't clear the disks, I like the look of a 14s up front it allows you to run a smaller tire that still has a nice amount of sidewall.

Ansen Sprints look great on these IMHO.

For something completely different, someone on the HAMB had a set of Foresight "flags" in 5.5 bolt pattern that were practically being given away, can't find the ad now.

3. All steelies or all 5 spokes

Roothawg likes this.
  4. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

I would run 37" humvee wheels and tires. Better work truck that way. And just a bit of fender trimming.
    Or #3.

5. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Lost me when you put Chinese parts on it.

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Then you really are lost. Most of what you use in your daily life is from China. Suck it up and accept the truth.

SicSpeed and Black Clover Custom like this.
  7. bbobster

bbobster
    from Oklahoma

Keep the steelies, paint'em any color you want (maybe match interior), slap some baby moons on and you're good to go. To complete the period correct look add some dumps and scavenger pipes.

8. Option 3, but without caps, just chrome nuts.....and neat dust covers.

9. I've been a non-conformist all my life, so I'm worried that I agree with the majority. Option #3 is the way to go. The truck is a tool and tools aren't flashy. You don't need to be flashy to be cool. I'd do body color steel wheels with small caps. If you wanna be flashy, put a HAMB decal in the corner of the back window.

clem likes this.
  10. jim galli

jim galli

Earlier wimbledon white steelies with '48 - '54 polished chrome dog dish caps with enameled in red letters, and beauty rings. Wrong, but always pretty. Make everybody's head snap.

Option 2; '55 T-Bird wheel covers. Always correct.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  11. Deadbird

Deadbird

Steel wheels all the way around, painted black, chrome lug nuts and no caps. But that's just me.

And you're exactly right, the truck is a tool. That's what they're made for.

12. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Ha

13. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

#3 but black wheels and caps from a 64, 65, or 66 galaxie. I think the car poverty caps are a little different and more unique than the truck caps.

falcongeorge likes this.
  14. Fabrik8

Fabrik8

It may just be a beater truck, but if some simple paint or powdercoat on the wheels can transform it into something cool that you love to drive, it's worth the cheap cost. Consider your choices wisely and your beater will turn into a head turner.

I'm really not a fan of the mismatched wheels, and I'm incredibly bored and tired of traditional 5 spokes. If that statement doesn't get me shunned here, I don't know what will. :D Too many cars with those wheels, too many wheel brands, too many similar wheel styles... Keep them on the rear of vintage dragsters where they belong. I would much rather see a set of cheap steelies if those two styles are the only choices.

The way I see it, wheels are accessories like shoes. Shoes can be really flashy, or they can be subtle and understated, or they can be classy and sophisticated, but if done properly can "set off" an outfit or a suit or whatever without being noticed by themselves.. It all depends on what you're going for.

If we're going with steelies and chrome caps, here are my totally biased fashion judgments opinions:

For a truck like that with simple lines and a clean color anywhere close to white, I don't care for straight black wheels because the contrast is too much. The truck is white, the tires are black, and small black steel wheels just disappear.

If you're looking for dark and understated, metallic gunmetal or high-flake metallic black would add a nice subtle touch. Very dark copper/bronze matte metallic powdercoats can look awesome with chrome caps, especially with the matte white body paint. Sounds strange, but usually stunning in person.

Anything cream or white is too "match-y" and usually looks best for a high quality restoration along with fresh chrome. I'm just not into body color wheels. Flat/matte dove gray (which would otherwise be really boring on most body colors) usually looks really good with white. Again, contrast.

Light blues, light greens, light oranges work really well with that paint color. I'm leaving out lavender (even though I really like it on white cars) because I don't think that's your style at all. Often those are more of a fashion statement though, and you have to fully commit. We've all seen cars with steelies in those colors, so you know what I'm saying. All of those work even better with creams and off-whites.

So many choices.... I really think this is going to come down to the cap choice as much as the rest of the wheel choice.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  15. Roadsir

Roadsir

Old trucks are like Deuce Roadsters, you need three sets of wheels and tires. Steelies and small caps like your option three, a set of five spokes, and set of steelies with full caps. Im with the Moon Disc guys on this, preferably white wall, copper or red wheels, big bigs and little littles.

slowmotion and volvobrynk like this.
  16. Wildfire

Wildfire

some version of 3.

17. So, I'm late to the party, but I'll throw you a curve, AND ask for your guidance. If somebody throws EITHER of these ideas out there somewhere in the 7 pages of comments and musings, I apologize, but I'm sleepy and my eyes wouldn't last much past the first page...

The curve; this is what stock sized STA's look like on MY 60's Ford work truck:

image.jpeg

And now for my question(s)...YES these are the WORST drums I have ever encountered, and I too am contemplating Speedy Bill's disc kit, but supposedly stock 15x5.5" steelies won't fit. What did you have to do to make YOUR steel wheels fit, Ryan? Was it just a backspacing thing? Any thoughts as to why a stock (narrower) steel wheel might not fit?

Thanks and good luck with your choice.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  18. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Save your money and get some good defrosters.

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yer right as rain, Gar'! Yes, I have some of these, also some '50 Mercs (some Lincolns, and some Buicks: for the outer rims!) Some V8 wire wheels, and 'others'...
    I still reverse wheels for myself, had my 'Shopsmith' rigged to spin and center them before welding...
    Now I'm working on an 'outrigger' for my Allen Electric lathe, to spin wheels, as my Dad found me another set of 5 Romeo Palemides' 2 piece aluminum wheels for my F1, to 'match' my '55 F100. Outer rim faces must be highly polished...:cool:
    I also have '50 Mercs reversed for both trucks. (to take those beautiful Merc "ash cans"!) :rolleyes:

20. Late but I like option 1

21. seatex

seatex

FUCK THAT

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  22. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Of the three options I say steelies painted body color, chrome trim rings, chrome lug nuts and keep looking for the five spokes for set number two.

23. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I knew it Mike if anyone else reversed their own wheels it would be you.

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D That's actually really funny. I'll bet that most of what you use in your daily life is from China. :D
    If you tried to get rid of it all you'd be walking around naked and trying to sleep under a bridge :D
    All the while you could mutter f - that, f - Chinese crap :D:D:D

25. reefer

reefer

Id stick with the spokes....I got a pair of Torque Thrusts uni lugged at the machine shop...he elongated the holes to match the P.C.D of my hubs....cheap fix.

26. This was not on the option list, I never was good at following guidelines. ryans pickup stance1.jpg

Gizzy likes this.
  27. It is not difficult to re-drill the bolt pattern on your hubs to open up your options.

28. kool 52

kool 52

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446890278.333823.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446890326.569477.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446890370.860803.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446890413.596217.jpg
    Hey Ryan,this is our my 64 has evolved,the Torque Thrusts and rake wasn't me so after flipping them and waiting for my new wheel/tyre combo ran the flappers,got bored and threw on early 60s Dodge caps.A month ago put new OE chromed with spider caps,not for everyone but I dig the hell out of how it's looking.Cheers Bails

29. rougewave

rougewave

Nice truck Ryan, good taste
    Picking up a white,1965 F250 next week in Oregon, 70,000 miles, all original, no rust. 352/ FordOmatic
    I like the hubcaps myself
    image.jpeg

30. slammed

slammed

Spend a few days (straight) rubbing Meguiars # 7 glaze into that paint while you decide on what shoes or uh wheel/tire combo to run. Here boss man, a most popular quote on yer site: "Do what YOU want, its your car". Really shine that thing up like you mean it.