Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is this a 1930's Nash?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Kipling, Nov 6, 2015.

1. David Kipling

David Kipling
    from canada

I am trying to distinguish this coupe, which I think is a Nash (though a couple of friends insist it's a Ford "A"). Then nrad grille is an English Morris.

The closest I can get is a 1932 Nash coupe. Can anyone help? BTW, I sense I may have posted this enquiry on H.A.M.B. before, but it doesn't appear anywhere.

Attached Files:

2. David Kipling

David Kipling
    from canada

I'd also be grateful if anyone can identify the engine . Is it a Hudson straight-8? Does not look like Nash's straight six.

3. F&J

F&J

I own a late 32 Nash, and I am positive that body is not a late 32 Nash. there were two versions of 32 Nash, the early one used leftover body shells from 31, and in March 1932, the later restyled version came out. A early 32 model number would be 3 digit starting with a 9. The later 32 is 4 digit, starting with 10. You need to know that when searching web pics.

If you go to the Nash Car Club of America website, look for the picture section, which shows all of the years, and body styles, as well as the many sizes of Nash bodies in each year.

you might want to see if 31Dodger sees this thread, because he is good at ID on many makes of cars in those early years.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  4. David Kipling

David Kipling
    from canada

The scrappy oval racer shown is right-hand drive. I wonder if Nash (or whichever) built and exported rhd vehicles to Britain, or whether this one was built in Britain?

5. resembles a '30 Hudson Essex

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. Essex has piano hinges at the doors.

7. The single wide belt molding and the deep visor bent in the center are the keys. Looks almost '31 Dodge-like except for the single belt molding. Even where the firewall connects to the frame looks Chrysler-like.

8. F&J

F&J

I saw some things that looked Mopar at first...but I just don't know.

I can't tell how wide or what profile the beltline has, right above the rear wheel?

But when I was looking at the belt, does the back of the roof look like it was padded right down to the belt? Would that hint towards a fancy Chrysler, if it is Mopar?

and the cowl light hole locations, is that helpful?

9. David Kipling

David Kipling
    from canada

31 Dodger and F&J, and everyone: Following your hints I have looked at a 1930 Dodge Business Coupe and it's a match. My lousy b/w photo just barely shows the same vent flap in the flank below the windshield, and the "reveal line" moulding has those swoops up the A pillar from both the cab and the hood.

My web source: http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Dodge/30-Dodge-Business-Model-DD-DV-09_RMH-04.jpg
    My lousy photo: http://www.oldstox.com/images/Dirty%20Dennis%20June%202015/tow%20car%20was%20a%201948%20Buick%20Roadmaster.jpg

I really appreciate the polite help given on this forum --- it always leads me to solid facts, and never snipes at the ignorant!

10. studeynut

studeynut

Its a 1930 Hupmobile! Has that unique belt line that goes up the door posts.

11. studeynut

studeynut

Yes the Dodge is very similar. My pictures show 3 hinges on the Dodges and only 2 on the Hupmobile.

12. mystery coupe.jpg
    Not a Dodge of any sort. Look closely at the details....the molding goes up to the roof....the blue Dodge has more moldings stacked.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  13. David Kipling

David Kipling
    from canada

So close --- but the 1930 Dodge and the mystery car both have a vent flap in the flank just ahead of the door. In my photo it is hard to see, but it is there. Can anyone find a Hupmobile with that flap?

Did Hupmobile build/export a right-hand-drive model?

14. studeynut

studeynut

Did some more searching in my books, it might be a 30 Desoto, they have the side vent and similar belt lines and the visor seams to match better.

15. Not a Chrysler product of any sort.

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This type of detective work is very trying but collectively here there is a lot of knowledge to get to the bottom of it and after all it is a jalopy. Me thinks it is an English, Argentinian, or Australian or anywhere there is RHD. Lettering painted on this IDs RHD as opposed to flipped picture. This jalopy with the oh so fuggly wheels is perhaps a mix of a 1931 Chrysler CD8 Coupe with grille rad from another victimized classic. That being said the whole chassis including the grille/rad could be 1932/33 but again with so many models, countries and one offs who knows. This was however a Cadillac sized and perhaps quite rare car pictured here David. Over to you...

[​IMG]

1931-chrysler-CD8.jpg

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

I love threads like this, I'm going to Google Graham and see what images pop up. Bob

18. MAN, do I ever feel STUPID! I guess I kept looking at the bent visor and didn't see the whole picture. It is, of course a 1931 Chrysler CD8. I thought for sure that the CD8s had a double belt molding like my '31 DBs. I'm gonna go hide for a while, now....

19. Color me stupid.

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What about the grille it looks thinner...and the emblem looks kind of a different shape?

21. Read the original post

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Carl...

23. 31chry_motorrt.jpg
    The body and engine are the main items I was referring to. Here's a CD8 engine.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I like the Rube Goldburg radiator shutter opener, the OP photo shows it too. 31Dodger, you can take that cap off and come out of the corner, sorry I went looking at Grahams too. Bob

25. the real question here is what are the rims? home made?

26. I think the outside spokes are homemade on those wheels, but I think the wheels are original. I see some wire spokes behind those hideous added flat spokes. The small center cap on the front wheel certainly looks like it is the original type.

Stogy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

You can't fake a Bugatti aluminum wheel with strips of plywood. Bob

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  28. F&J

F&J

Don't beat yourself up, John. You are still one of the best parts and cars IDer on AACA and here.

The reason I thought it might be Chrysler, is that some features looked Mopar, but I recalled seeing a few big Chryslers with the full padded tops.

Atwater Mike and Stogy like this.
  29. Thanks for the compliment, F&J.

30. David Kipling

David Kipling
    from canada

Indeed it has been a lot of work for some very honest toilers ---- I really appreciate the help and the attitude shown. I will leave you in peace, hoping that this debate over the mystery jalopy leaves you with enough energy and enthusiasm to help the next "newbie" ignoramus with an old car to identify. The suggested makes and models have led me deep into the jungle of 1929-1933 US coupes, and what a jungle it is. But I know that when I post the identity on my website, it will bring joy to others. Chrysler CD8 it shall remain, and I hardly dare come back to this thread, for fear of -----.