Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1958 3100 backup lights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CB_Chief, Nov 5, 2015.

1. When we got our pickup 20 years ago the original owner gave me a set of backup lights new in the box that he bought from Morris Chevrolet when he bought the truck. He never installed them and gave them to me in the original Chevrolet packaging. After looking at the lights I don't think they are for a fleetside because the rubber bases are tapered and look like that fit a stepside fender. Has anyone here ever seen back lights on a 55-59 Chevrolet pickup? The original packaging disintegrated sitting on the shelf in my shop so I don't have the part number any longer but I am attaching a picture of the kit. It has all the wiring, the switch and a lever that installed on the shifter shaft to press the plunger on the switch. I appreciate any help finding out more information about this things.

2. IMG_2593.JPG

I couldn't get the picture to post the first try.

3. squirrel

squirrel

probably for a stepside. They were standard starting in 1966. I don't think I've ever seen any added to a 58-59 fleetside. they would not look very good.

4. Jim,

The truck was a one owner purchased new in Oklahoma City by Hugh Perry who gave it to my son for his 12th birthday twenty years ago. Hugh purchased the backup lights in kit form from the dealer after he purchased the truck in '59 or early '60 after returning from a trip to California and back on route 66. He told me about seeing a truck on the trip with backup lights and wanted some on his truck He never got round to putting them on and gave them to me when we picked up the truck to haul it home. The instructions were in the box when I got it but I lost them somewhere over the years. If they hadn't been in the bowtie box I would have thought they were a JC Whitney item. As I said our truck is a fleetside and they definitely don't fit on it, maybe someone out there can shed a little light on the issue.

5. squirrel

squirrel

the lights look right for the step side pickups, I don't know what the fleetsides used. Is it a 4 speed floor shift truck?

also it's possible the dealer sold what kit he had in stock, instead of ordering the right one? but it may be the right kit. Kind of a rare thing. It's surprising how many of these kits are left over, yet you hardly ever see a truck that had them installed in the old days.

6. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I found a picture of the box and the lights matched yours. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446858059.863358.jpg