Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest George Barris...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 5, 2015.

1. RIP George, thoughts and prayers to the family. sad news today.. God Bless !

2. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

This is very close to my experience. It was at World of Wheels here in Phoenix a number of years ago. We sat there and talked about the cars of yesteryear. He was extremely warm and welcoming. He also signed a picture and he added something to the effect of "remember the old cars." Nice guy and someone to remember. RIP.

3. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

God bless you George.

4. robracer1

robracer1

Sad news.....RIP Mr. Barris you will be missed,

5. Another good one gone, R.I.P. George Barris.

6. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Godspeed George

7. I met him at World of Wheels in Miami several years ago, Very nice man, he seemed to take time to talk with every one .
    R.I.P. Mr Barris

8. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ This. His creations made my childhood so much more enjoyable and for that I will always be grateful to him.

9. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Sorry to hear this and may he rest in peace. The world was better for his time with us. Agree with pwschuh

10. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Sad news. A one of a kind custom car innovator.

11. 296ardun

296ardun

Like so many others, I grew up with his customs in the various magazines...he was an extraordinary artist, metalworker, and promoter...and, from the stories of those who knew him or met him, a good guy as well...he will be missed but he certainly left a legacy behind.

12. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Rest in peace, George. This was at the 50th GNRS in 1999. Barris 2.jpg

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Another legend gone. :( Love it or hate it, his styling and customizing ideas inspired countless others. He will surely be missed.

14. I remember the first time I met him was at the NY Coliseum Custom Car Show where he was signing photos of the ToysRus Geofferymobile he built that was on display. I stood in a long line of waist high children hoping he would sign a magazine for me. It was one he put out in 1966 - Hollywood & TV Star Cars that I had bought as a kid and must have read 10,000 times cover to cover. I finally made the front of the line and George had to look up to see this big kid (adult) standing before him. I pulled the magazine out and his eyes lit up. "WOW. I haven't seen one of these in years. I didn't think any existed anymore" and he held up the line as he proceeded to thumb thru every page and tell me about each one. He finally personalized the inside page and made my day. I think I made his too.

Merge and falcongeorge like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to the family. A great mover and shaker in this field of Auto-Modifier/Creator extraordinaire. Rest in Peace...George.

16. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Car work aside, he was a guy that loved the people in this hobby. He was a consummate promoter and his success and longevity was due to his people skills. I think it can be argued that he was one of the most influential personalities in the car hobby. Guys like him leave a big hole, but there is a lot of life he lived to celebrate and remember.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. jvan

jvan

From building the Ala Kart as a model at the age of 12 to seeing him many times throughout the years at KKOA, Salina, what a legacy! RIP

18. Fedman

Fedman

Reading this thread I feel that I am at a celebration of life........
    And I believe that I am, reading all the wonderful tributes and stories about a Man I never met, but surely know.
    Thanks to you all for sharing your personal stories of and about the Man.
    I Wish him Gods Speed, and my sincere sympathy to his family and close friends.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  19. sololobo

sololobo

I went to his shop in 1960 and he was a true gentleman and showed me around. He said, do they have cars like this in Nebraska, and I said no sir, Mr. Barris He just laughed, but was interested when I told him I had a 33 Chevy, car guy all the way. What a tremendous contribution this man gave to our sport. He will be greatly missed, and never forgotten. R. I. P. King George

20. RIP George.

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

My favorite episode of the "Munster's", was when Lilly Munster wants to surprise Herman with a new car. The combination of vehicles were revealed later in the episode and from then on became the "Munster car". Little did I know, that the "Coach was my stepping stone into T Buckets. When I got into cars, I learned about Mr. Barris.

Love him or even hate him, he kept old cars in peoples minds and they didn't even know it. Television was manipulated social media before there was such a thing.

So, as you remember all the cool cars he had a hand in or didn't, just remember......... he was a fucking car guy and that's better than can be said for the smuck sitting next to you at work or where ever.

At a gas station one day, an older lady exclaimed, as I stepped out of my T Bucket, "Look! He's driving the "Munster" car!"All I could do was smile, at being associated with a work of art and it's creator.

RIP.

22. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

23. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

RIP Mr. Barris.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I never got to meet George Barris, but he was the guy we were talking about back in 1961-62 when I was helping a friend pull parts off his '40 Ford. I followed his cars in the magazines and saw a few when Dad and I went to NYC for the Hot Rod & Custom shows. Thoughts and prayers going out to his family and friends. Bob

25. wreckfixer

wreckfixer

Check my avatar. 'Nuff said

26. Karrera

Karrera

I first met George Barris at a car show in Atlanta in 1980 where he signed a picture of my car (it was built in his shop by Dean Jeffries), George had a line of people to sign pictures for but he took the time to tell me a few stories about those early years in the late 1950's. When I saw him again at Amelia Island years later he was always treating everyone as if they were old friends - just a great spokesman for the car hobby. His legacy of promoting and documenting those years as the California Car Culture matured will be with us forever. Thanks George - we will miss you. I hope his family can take some comfort in the number of friends and admirers George accumulated over a very interesting life.

Godspeed George Barris - RIP

27. 55bird

55bird
    from Spokane WA

Sad news. I don't want to seem cold-hearted, but I wish I could see the parking lot at his funeral.

Oldmics likes this.
  28. carl.p

carl.p
    from grimsby uk

Rip George God bless condolence to the family

29. HD DUDE

HD DUDE

Gone after 89 years - But his influence will live on much longer.....

30. Well, I was hoping that someone would post the Jalopy Journal entry about the '55 Coachman's car show, from Excelsior High School, in Norwalk, California. There are a lot of cool cars in the old home movie. George Barris drives the Kopper Kart in and gets out wearing big ol' fuzzy slippers. You can see the showman that he is. Later in the film, he lays a big, wet smooch on the reluctant trophy girl. Years and years later, there he was, in a shiny gold jacket, Elvis sunglasses, arms around two models. Same dude as in the home movie from 1955. God's speed, Mr Barris. May your Heaven be full of possibilities and pretty girls.

kiwijeff likes this.