Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest George Barris...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Had the pleasure to meet the George in Sweden once at the Elmia "Custom Motor Show". Got the time to share a few words with him and receive a signed picture of the Munster Coach that is now hanging on my wall. Rest In Peace to a legend amongst legends.

2. R.I.P. The King of the Customisers, thank you for all your contributions George. Condolences to the Barris family and friends.

3. Sad news, another legend gone. His contributions will be around and remembered for a long time.

4. raymay

raymay

Fond memories of my late Brother and I visiting the Barris shop in the 60's when we would stay at our Grand Mothers in North Hollywood.
    "Rest In Peace King of the Kustomizers"

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    Merge likes this.
  5. Torchie

Torchie

Pretty much my same experience. First time I met him was back in 77 at the Detroit Autorama. I had just come from work at the body shop and still had my work clothes on. It was slow at his booth as 1977 was not exactly prime time for Customs. We talked for about 30 mins and he had nothing but praise for all the Detroit area custom guys from back in the day. He told me that he and Sam watched what was being built in Detroit as much as the Detroit guys watched him and Sam. When he signed his pic for me he asked me my name. When I told him it was Karl with a K he smiled and said"We like the letter K".
    Here is my favorite pic of George and Sam P3060134-vi.jpg .
    RIP.
    Torchie.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    kiwijeff, catdad49, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  6. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

7. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

Glad I met him years back in Milwaukee. RIP George

8. RPL

RPL

RIP George. The industry lost an icon. Our condolences to his family. Words don't cover the loss.

9. showrod

showrod

Sorry to hear, his creations inspired many of us at an early age!
    RIP George.

10. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I was able shake his hand several times...God bless you, George....
    BTW, the Munster Koach has always been #1 with me.

11. cgc1958

cgc1958
    Member Emeritus
    1. 1957-59 Ranchero's

RIP George Barris. IMG_9150.PNG

12. Just remember looking at all his creations as a kid and dreaming of building something one day!
    RIP and thanks for the inspiration. Guess I will move up in line.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A sad day in the custom car world. Like a lot of others I grew up reading what he wrote in the custom magazines and studying the photos he took of cars and read what he wrote about taking photos of cars. I got to meet him for a moment or two at a couple of car shows a few years ago and listen to a few of his tales in a group of car folks. Quite a moment for a guy who first read something the man wrote when I was 12 years old.

14. F&J

F&J

I really respect, or envy, a very talented guy who worked with his own hands, but somehow had the time and talent to be a great self promoter. He, Mickey Thompson, and Frank Maratta are at the top IMO.

I've enjoyed all those great old photos of George hamming it up.

15. This is truly sad, sad news. Customizing would not be as we know it if it weren’t for George. A more obliging and interesting fellow you will not come across. R.I.P. Mr. Kustom…

Dave

kiwijeff likes this.
  16. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

REST IN PEACE - MR GEORGE BARRIS - KUSTOMS OF AMERICA

Thank you for all your fantastic inspiration!
    DSC02077.JPG
    img008-copy.jpg

17. So long George....almost the whole shops up there now...You will be missed down here

18. Wow, what else can be said about the King of Kustoms that hasn't already been said here. Luckily I've had the privilege of meeting Mr. Barris and talking to him many times. He was a character, that's for sure.

2015 has been a bad year for losing friends and family for me personally and I'm sure many others out there as well. Sad to add George to the list.

Vaya con Dios, Mr. Barris, and thank you so much for all you did for us kustom people! E

19. ,,,,if ever there were a legend,,,,,,,,,,,,he is at the top,,,,RIP

20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Ya done good George, you had a good run, RIP..

21. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

Repose En Paix, merci pour ton oeuvre, tu restera à jamais le Monsieur Kustom à mon coeur.

22. R.I.P George you will be greatly missed and our hobbie will never have another like you

23. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Tremendous loss, RIP Mr. Barris.

24. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

My dad and I went to Barris Kustom a few days after they auctioned off the Batmobile. Man he was excited about that! The place was pretty much empty so we got to hang out and chat with everyone for a while. It was awesome to get to meet and chat with a real legend. He was such a cool guy and this was a great memory for me. I'm sorry to hear of his passing and my thoughts go out to his family and all of his friends. RIP George!

[​IMG]

25. Crankhole

Crankhole

26. flattandscruggs1

flattandscruggs1
    from alabama

this is what i wrote to george barris son on facebook
    good evening my friends here on facebook let me tell you my story i remember meeting george barris at a rod and kustom show in bloomingtonillinois along time ago called rock-n-rods when i talked to him he was a nice guy to talk to for a while talking to him about kustoms,the car business i always wanted to go and visit his shop in california. we will love him so much for what he did for kustoms.tv shows,business withour you george we would not have the monsters car or any other cars.you never knew what george would come out next.

thank you for your loving friendship and compansion all these years.

your friend

Allen Culver
    Streator,illinois

27. I just drove by his shop today on the way to lunch, then I heard about the news.

Sad , RIP.

28. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

Sorry to hear this. RIP George

29. Very sad news for all custom car addicts around the world. R.I.P. George

30. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

RIP George, the "King of Customizers". Many of his creations really influenced me as a kid in the 60's - Batmobile, Monkeemobile, Munsters cars. etc. He made cars COOL!