Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Excelsior Radial Feedback

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alfin32, Nov 5, 2015.

1. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

I've been shaking down my 5W recently, and have noticed that my tires, 550/16 Dunlops and 820/18 Firestone Ascots, are good on most surfaces, but are treacherous on uneven roads. I know it's the odd size / tread patterns, but was wondering if anyone has any feedback on the Excelsior radials? I want to drive to the ROG next year, and wouldn't consider it on the current setup. I love the look, but have to be able to put some serious miles on it.
    Thanks. IMG_8859.JPG hanks.

flatheadpete and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Are those radials on the front? I'd never mix a radial with bias. Put some bias on the front.

3. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

No, bias-ply, front and rear.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

do a search here? there are threads on these tires

5. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I like mine, but I seldom drive at high speed for long distances with this pick up. But the tires are no problem.

bc3 11.43.47 AM.jpg

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Hence the old age question or argument. If you want to drive it put radials on it. If you just like how it looks go with the bias ply's.
    There are some bias look radials but as you will find there are some issues with some of them as well.
    In the end, run what feels good driving the car, and in spite of what some will tell you a good size combo of radials will also look good.

7. kennedy

kennedy
    from TN

I've got about 7k miles on mine and have NEVER had a problem.

Attached Files:

8. I only have my personal experience and do not claim to be an expert or professional when it comes to tires:
    I bought a set of old Double Eagle bias ply tires from a buddy who had them on a heavy Buick or Caddy. The sidewalls were hard as a rock but they had 95% tread on them and I mounted them on a set of 15X7 inch mopar cop car wheels and bolted them up to my 49 ford coupe. I'd flipped the spindle supports and used 4" lowering blocks in the rear. Took it in for a good alignment and left Omaha on I-80 for the DesMoines goodguys event.
    The car dodged and lurched all over the road! It followed ruts, drifted around my lane and the other guy's lane on the interstate and was thoroughly dangerous to drive! I tippy-toed the car back home and the next Monday I took it back to the alignment guy for a re-check...it was in perfect alignment.
    I had a pair of ford steel wheels with radials sitting in my garage and gave them a try....bolted them on the front and road tested...the car drove like a dream!
    I sold the cop car wheels and bias ply tires at the next swap meet and mounted up a full set of radials on E-T aluminum wheels...car was a joy to drive..
    Conversly, I had good luck with a set of new Firestone bias ply tires on my 33 ford pickup...but it still didn't drive as nice as my shubox with radials. I drive my cars a lot and have used radials on the last 6 or 7 cars I've had...couldn't be happier.
    Rockybox.jpg

9. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

image.jpg
    I had bias ply on my coupe. One of the tires was out of round and bounced all over the place. Bought a set of Excelsior Stahls and what a difference. A little pricey but worth it.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  10. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Thank you all for the feedback.

11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Switched from Excelsior bias to Excelsior radials Great improvement. However, even though I went with the 5.00 x R16 in the front and 7.00 x 16R rears the "tire rake" I had with the bias plys disappeared.

12. How exactly is it behaving on uneven roads? Does it only behave that way with this wheel combo? Hopefully it's just a poor tire combo, but don't rule out a suspension issue.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There's a reason car manufacturers went radial. For LOOKS, the bias are great and period correct. If you drive your ride and I mean DRIVE, like more than 3,000 miles a year:rolleyes:, radials can't be beat.