Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tube axle in 1965 F-100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by winr, Nov 3, 2015.

1. winr

winr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wish to install a tube axle in my 65 F-100 with coilovers.

I have read pros an cons such as .....
    With a Ford straight axle you use a hair pin
    With a tube axle, you use 2 separate tubes on each end

I would use a tube axle the same center to center as my I-beams and in the same location
    Could I use my original drag link and steering box ??

Would I need a panhard bar as well ??

I wish to set it up such as the 55 Chevy from 2 Lane Black top or such

What my factory suspension looks like

http://www.fordification.com/tech/images/mydiscbrakes06.jpg

Have owned the truck for 40 years and driven it daily, now wish to modify it

I dont race but go to car shows and cruise ins

TIA.

Ricky.

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

That's a twin I-beam front end with king pins. You'd want a decent heavy axle given the weight of the truck and over the axle. Tube axles require parallel 4 bars and are fine for light cars however they WON'T twist along their axis like an I-beam axle with hairpins.
    [​IMG]

3. Diavolo

Diavolo

Put in what you want. Here's some points.
    1. Leafs act as locators, coil springs will need some kind of locator, such as a panhard bar. Yes you will need one.
    2. I'm pretty sure you will be fine with the steering box, but you will probably want to go with 4WD steering link. It's literally just a tube connecting the two hubs together with tie rods on it. Where the link from the steering connects to it is the third tie rod. It may or may not have an idler arm. Since you are making it, you might as well just go with whatever 4X4 people are using for steering and do that thing.

4. Leaf springs will work better than coilovers,Speedway offers a nice kit that will simplify your gasser front suspension. HRP

5. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Why?...the twin I beam improved ride and handling quality ....

chessterd5 likes this.
  6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Pretty sure someone makes upgrade kits and axles for the twin I beam front ends.

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

^^Rancho I think has dropped beams, but I think 65's can be dropped by Sid's [those that have king pins], have to check as once they changed to ball joints the axle material changed and doesn't allow the heat and stretch..

8. If you use a tube axle and drop the twin I beam concept with coil overs you are going to need a panhard bar to locate it from side to side and some sort of radius rods setup to locate it for and aft. You could use a 4 bar which most are going to recommend or hairpins with it. On that particular truck I would go with a 4 bar. Two reasons it will articulate better and it fits with the period of the truck better.

There is no or little reason that you cannot use your original steering box and drag link, I would probably work with what I had and modify to suit.

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I would just get the Twin I Beams from a 70's model truck. They have disc brakes and will bolt right in. Nothing wrong with the Twin I beam system, it rides and drives good, so why do away with it?

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Because he wants it higher. So do the off road guys, I wonder if there is a kit to raise the Ford twin I beam front end or if they only work on 4wd.

11. Rancho used to make a combination lift and lower I beam axle set, they were made from sheet metal and you could turn them over to drop or lift. They were 2Wd only and I don't doubt that they still make them if you ask.

12. Wouldn't an easy solution be to just lower the mounts at the bushing end of each I-beam (two frame brackets, cut and lower them; and then same for the radius rods at the frame end), and then put taller springs? Keep the basic geometry of the Ford twin I-beam design, just lower the mounting points 4-6 inches. Might require a bit of work for the steering, such as a dropped pitman arm that is common on 4x4 lifts, or change the mount point for the other end of the drag link to be above the hole vs underneath?

You could do all this with almost no cost, just labor and some steel material, and welding it up. My suggestion above is basically what Ford 4x4 with the twin traction beam front ends do when they are lifted.

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Wonder if you could rework the stock axles? You could be the first to ask a dropped axle maker to straighten one out ha ha.

14. Hay Guys, winr made it real clear in his opening statement he wants to RAISE his truck Gasser style. Regardless of how You might think he should do it, how about we just try to help him with his idea?
    So my .02 is,, Yes you can use a Tube. With coil overs weather you use 4 link or hair pins you will need a panhard bar to keep it located. Yes you can use your stock steering box but I'd go with a Bronco style tie rod and center link. With your dual tie rod system as your New axle moves up and down you would have the toe in moving around causing a very weird sensation at the steering wheel and in the seat of your pants. Hope this answers some of your questions.
    The Wizzard

15. winr

winr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for all the ideas guys.

I put disk brake spindles off of a 75 F-150 plus the front and rear sway bar.
    Kept the 65 I-beams, just have to use the 65 king pins.
    The retaining bolt is higher in the ends than on the 66 and up.
    It handles great and stops great as well.

I just want to do something different and I may go with a tilt front end as well.

Something such as this.. ( scroll down near the bottom )
    http://twolaneblacktop.yuku.com/top...os-of-the-TwoLane-Blacktop-3955-Chevy?page=-1

I also have this for the crossmember.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Trans+Dapt/96...6&cadevice=c&gclid=CIOwz9ve98gCFZSFfgodCooP9w

My truck.

http://s153.photobucket.com/user/winr1/media/IMG_8835.jpg.html?sort=3&o=583

Ricky.