Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1965 Coronet W11 How Rare?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porkshop, Oct 31, 2015.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

too bad you are so far away, I need a Falcon T-10 for my t-bucket.

2. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

your not that far away, and i will ship, message me if interested.

3. cptn60

cptn60
    from Joke City

383's can look pretty decent with the right equipment. 376194_2402215110207_2078237327_n.jpg

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Is that the old Rat Roaster for the non-hemi?

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yup, 383 was Edelbrock STR-11 IIRC. Those things are BIG$$$ now.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Edit: just checked, DC Bulletin #34 says 383 was STR-15, RB was STR-14. STR-11 is probably 340.
    checked, STR-11 is AMC:eek:, STR-12 is 340. Is this what the onset of senility feels like?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

383's with the 343hp dual AFB intake
    4790481-DSC01094.JPG DCP_1936.jpg

8. cptn60

cptn60
    from Joke City

STR is Street Tunnel Ram. Rat Roaster is a Hemi only intake; the plenum area is large by huge. More of a NASCAR longtrack type deal. Those 343 horse motors; never saw one that could fall out of a tree. The 65 Coronet is a gorgeous car, when done right. To the OP; build that sucker. More fun than a bubble bath with Linda Vaughn

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

11400963_1411567295836835_1268433258089658209_n.jpg attachment.jpg Burkitt_Tom_Ordway_Photo4x6Acopy.jpg Nemesis.jpg rickjohnson.jpg

brad2v and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

And I seem to remember this one winning its share as well...
    user21169_pic5507_1306645235.jpg

brad2v and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. Fedman

Fedman

:D That's all!
    I have learned a lot of stuff on this thread about shifters, bucket sets, bench seats, but this by far is the most important one!
    Thank You! :p

12. cptn60

cptn60
    from Joke City

Is the original poster going NHRA class racing? Or is this a street car, will he get tired of lashing that solid cam in the 343hp among the fact that it is NOT a very friendly kinda grind. Yeah those cars you posted ran mid 12's. Scary stuff... Hey I'm a Mopar guy, but those packages are not the hot setup for anything other than I/SA. Sorry.

13. cptn60

cptn60
    from Joke City

I think about Linda Vaughn a LOT. Raquel Welch too. Makes for happy dreams

loudbang likes this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

George
    Which engine does the #BR-549 fit on?:rolleyes:
    I know, I helped put one on a 1966 426 Pachyderm in about 1971.

Oops........I gotta go now!

falcongeorge likes this.
  15. Well I'm not much for bubble baths .... :)

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Wow, that was a quick switch! Straight from " never saw one that could fall out of a tree" to "not streetable".
    You are the only one that has suggested running the 343hp cam, no-one else has. I'm guessing you skipped right over the "day 2" part, and that's why I suggested the 343HP intake. Heres a quote of what I said in post #18 " a bunch of circa '65 engine mods? Theres a 343hp 383 dual 4bbl intake on ebay right now, there was a guy on one of the Mopar forums that was cloning the early sixties Jardine tri-y max-wedge headers, even if he isn't selling them anymore, you could look at the photos and clone them, you could add a Mallory dual point or W&H dual point and get Isky to grind a "period" solid cam for it, add a pair of small-neck afbs's,".
    There were no Holley Street Dominators, edelbrock tarantulas or Performer RPM's in 1966, they didn't exist then. Choices were limited to the inline dual afb offys, A weiand dual afb low-rise that's virtually a copy of the 343hp intake, a 3 97 Edelbrock intake, or possibly a DP-4B. He hasn't said he wants to go "day 2" under the hood, but that was the original premise.
    Ok, you brought it up, so lets talk about solid lifter cams and the mythical "get tired of lashing that solid cam" BS. Do you own anything with a solid lifter cam? No? I actually run a solid cam in my daily driver. I am a semi-retired stay at home dad, so I'm not commuting back and forth to work, but I do use it to run errands around town, and ferry the kids to school and back. The last time I actually ran the valves was last May. I recently had the valve covers off just because I like to do visual inspections, it helps to catch problems early, and I did find a problem, but it doesn't relate to solid lifter cams. I stuck a feeler gauge in a few random rockers that were on the base circle, just because I am the type that likes to keep an eye on things, the few that I checked were still right where I set them 5 months ago. The cam in question is a modern, aggressive, high intensity tight-lash 244 solid, very fast off the base circle, and the springs are 325 over the nose, so as real-world daily driver street cams go, its about as hard on the valvetrain as anything you will find. I have run solid lifter cams most of my life, in most cars I have owned, and I have never had one that required monthly valve adjustments. And some of them were a hell of a lot bigger than the one in my daily.
    I cant really say I'm a Mopar guy, I am more of a former mopar guy. When Barrett-Jackson started to be on TV all the time, and all the chevy guys started to notice how cool max wedges were, and the money they were bringing, and jumped on the bus, it drove prices out of sight, and really, the whole feeling of being a "Mopar guy" changed. I jumped off. I guess I have always preferred to be on the fringes, never liked the mainstream. I do still have my '66 Satellite, I'll be putting that back together in the next year or so, but I own more Fords than anything else. I'm not really a "make specific" kind of guy.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You got me Doug. I could look it up, but that would be cheating. I'll cover the rat roasters and STR intakes are for "More of a NASCAR longtrack type deal" bs later today. I know you know better, cause you were actually there.;)

18. slowmotion

slowmotion

19. I am afraid that Linda Vaughn would be a cougar to someone my age and at 60+ that would just be nasty, even too nasty for me and I am weird. :eek:

20. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

IMG_0019.JPG Heres my 65 Belvedere 1 I love this thing.

21. I love those old MOPAR scoops. I knew someone who had one that came from the dealer with the scoop and a 318 auto. I always laughed at him but he loved the car.

22. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Guys, Im not sure of the definition of a day two car, But I have the chrome steelies that are on the rear and I own a pair of 15x3.5 fenton gyros that can go on the front. Im up in the air with engine plans, but solid lifters never bothered me. I had a 65 cyclone in my younger years with solid cams and once adjusted they stayed pretty close. and i drove that car daily all over western Washington. Id run the valve before going to cruise the Puywallup loop looking for races. also I was a crew chief on plenty of stock cars and we ran the valves before every race and sometimes at the track. so its easy for me.

23. slowmotion

slowmotion

Sounds like you got a handle on things porkshop. Day two ( soon after purchase) would be the stuff a new owner puts on as soon as he can. Wheels, headers, cheaters, engine mods, etc....you get the idea.

As far as solids, I ran 'em on the street a bunch (one was a Mopar hi-po 273:D) never were a PITA IMO.
    Track time is a different procedure, pretty much as you posted.

24. Adjustable rockers for a MOPAR are pretty much unobtainium or expensium at the very least. But that wouldn't keep me from running solids.

I actually crewed on a car that we had to back them off between rounds. adjusting valve lash is nothing, scary if you haven't done it yet perhaps. I have owned lots of solid lifter cars and will probably own another between now and forever. On a street motor its not like you have to adjust them every day.

loudbang likes this.
  25. cptn60

cptn60
    from Joke City

Only thing thats important is that it's YOUR car; build it like you want. It's not an investment type car, like an A-990 or something. One thing that was always impressive about Mopars is they developed and sold packages, and not just a big engine in a small or intermediate car. From spring and T-bar selection to air intake; they worked together well. Here's a thought maybe build a Poly motor, back it with a 66 up 23 spline A-833 and a 66 up 8-3/4(to get rid of the splined axles). LOVE the steelies/Fenton combo.

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

These are scans from an old Direct Connection tech bulletin circa 1977. This deal was on virtually every street hemi SS car from around 1970, into the early '90s, when hand fabricated sheet metal intakes started to take over.
    Around 2001/02 we were racing a heads-up ten wide class at Mission, and Dave Wren was there running the Stock/SS combo in the old Bill Stewart "Family Funds" car in SS/DA. I wandered over to pay a visit, as I pretty much always did whenever I saw him. He still had the RR-1 on the car, with the 1" spacer under the lid that became commonplace around '74/'75, when SS cars went over to roller cams, and they started turning the Hemis a lot tighter. He'd just gone 9.71 at legal SS/DA weight, but it had dropped a mph from its previous pass, so and he figured there was a cracked insulator, he asked me to look at a couple plugs, because his close-up vision was getting a little iffy and it was dark and overcast, there was.
    We talked a bit, then I asked him about the RR-1, and if it was still in the hunt with the sheet metal stuff, and his response was "I actually just dynoed this motor, and we had tried a B##### sheet metal intake on it, it really didn't make any difference, picked up a little below the shift recovery point, but that doesn't make the car go faster, it just makes it harder to hook up if the track gets slick."
    ScanImage001.jpg
    Paul Rossi ran this set-up in the late seventies on a SS/GA 440 six-pak Challenger. It held the SS/GA national record for a while.
    ScanImage002.jpg This set-up was on the grey '62 SS/GA car I posted above. I know this, because I saw the car run virtually every weekend at Mission Raceway in the mid-seventies. For a combination that most people felt couldn't run the oval port 396 Camaros that dominated SS/GA at that time, it won a lot. ScanImage005.jpg
    So it looks to me like Chrysler thought the RR and STR intakes were pretty ok for something other than "NASCAR longtrack type deal's".
    Carroll Finks motor, won 1970 Gators, 1970 Super Stock Nationals, multi time SS/DA national record holder Carrol Fink.jpg
    Tommy Myls motor , 1970 NED SS champ, NHRA National record holder SS winner at inaugural Sanair national event
    Tommy Myl.jpg
    Whole lotta rat roasters here for a NASCAR long-track intake...Phil Centolanza, 1971 Super Stock nats SS winner...
    Phil Centolanza.jpg

Dean Nicopolis also ran one with the 1" spacer under the lid when he set the SS/DA record in the late seventies.
    I guess I am still enough of a Mopar guy that I just hate to see the history being messed with like that.

Attached Files:

loudbang and brad2v like this.
  27. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

the rear end is not the keyed axle its the late 65 so Im good there but will use the later 833 trans so I can have slip yolk drive shaft.....John

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Not unobtainium but BLOODY EXPENSIVE!! Jeez, I just looked into this, because I am rounding up the stuff to put my Satellite back together, man, I just about SHIT! Ten years ago, you could buy them from "Mother" or Manley for a couple hundred. Now Crane is the only one doing the ductile iron rockers, and they want a goddam fortune for them!! I was gonna use my Mini-Express, but it looks like I will be putting the old Comp 308H back in it!

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

DOH!!!:oops: You sly bastard!!:pIt may take a while, but I do get there eventually!!:rolleyes:

30. cptn60

cptn60
    from Joke City

I musta missed the post where porkshop mentioned he was going NHRA class racing. My mistake, carry on Gents