Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need Exploded view of door glass installation 32 P'up

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jpriebe66, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

Does anyone have a shop manual or other exploded view of the door glass, glass channel and regulator installation for a 32 Ford closed cab P'up. My doors are just bare shells and I'm trying to figure out what all is needed to install the door glass. I have regulators, glass and not much else. Any help would be appreciated. Looks like its going to SEMA sans the door glass as I'm running low on time. I have to make it as there needs to be at least a few true hot rods amidst the sea of LS powered resto-mods.

2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Just ordered all my felt window channels for my 32 sedan from bob drake. Im sure they have all the pick up stuff also.

3. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

Thanks Rusty, I got my stuff from Drake too, it just seems there's a few things missing

4. There is more needed than just the felts...someone post a photo fot this man...There are pieces that fit into the front edge of the door..a full width glass will not go thru the opening at the bottom and still turn it horizontal. Please note the extra width of thr garnish moldings
    on the leading edge

5. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

Thanks wbrw32, I can see that is more to this than what I have. Also, how did Henry attach the glad to the regulator?

6. He attached the glass to the window channel guide with glass setting tape,most people use some type of adhesive in a tube. HRP

[​IMG]

7. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

Thanks HRP, can always count on you. Hard to believe that the truck is finally done

8. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

Bump, still looking for IVs or a diagram of what's supposed to be going on inside the door for window guides

9. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

I have the regulator it's the guides that the windows ride in and how they attach that I'm a bit fuzzy on

10. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

Thanks Choffman, that's a good start any 32-34 Ford guys that can add to that

11. Here's a pic of the channel the glass fits into.

chan.jpg

12. So, it's been 35 years since I sold my '32 pickup, but I'm kind of thinking that the glass is held on the sides by the felt covered channel that it rides up and down in, and the only connection to the regulator is where the regulator arm connects to the bottom channel that the glass sits in with setting tape. If you have the regulator I think all you need is the bottom channel and the side channels.

13. Jpriebe66...Forget the photo posted by choffman41 above..32 loooks nothing like that...wish I had photos.

14. oj

oj

Like others going from braindead memory cells, the top of the door is riveted, you'll need to cut it loose and the glass goes in from the top. The channels are screwed to the door and you use small countersunk screws to get a flush finish, the vertical tracks the glass rides in screw to the channel, again small screws and the heads disappear into the felt. The glass is held into the bottom channel with silicon, they used to use a thin piece of rubber setting material but silicon is easier.

15. NO.NO.NO....you must be thinking Model A...32s do not go in thru the top of the door...

16. oj

oj

Perhaps you are right, I did a '32 Cabriolet and seem to recall it was like Model A. I apologize and shouldn't have posted with faulty memory. I checked the Green Book and couldn't find anything there and offered from work I did years ago.

17. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

On my 34 the top of the door screws off and the glass slides down into the door.
    The top of the window side channels are formed by the door sheet metal. The lower channels attach by a screw inside the channel to the door sheet metal and at the bottom with a screw from the jamb side of the door into a caged nut on the bracket attached to the channel.
    The felt just sits in the channels, I did glue mine with 3m trim adhesive.

Attached Files:

18. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

Here is what the lower half of the side channels look like.

Attached Files:

19. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

The little tab with the elongated hole is the top. It gets screwed to the door just inside of the lower curved area. The other end where you can see the channel jogs back is where it attached towards the bottom of the door by a screw from the outside of the jamb area.

20. Here is all the mechanical parts.
    Showing two different lower glass channels, the top one is correct for these trucks,
    the bottom was probably Model A, not correct, but it worked IMG_20151101_121510.jpg IMG_20151101_122059.jpg IMG_20151101_122124.jpg

Max Gearhead and greaser like this.
  21. Dirtracer06 is correct. I'm sure 32-3-4 Ford Trucks are the same. The glass goes in from the top.
    Flowmeister's photos look like my old 32 pickup.

Mick

22. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

There is also a piece of rubber channel that glues to the removable top piece to seal the top of the glass.

23. Man O Man,,,do I ever feel like a dumb ass...All my postings on this thread was in reference to coupes and sedans.
    I know the original poster has P U in title of thread...I just overlooked it....My apologies to everyone.

302GMC likes this.
  24. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You guys are the best. I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure out what's missing and how it installs. Flowmeister, your post was very helpful. Sent it to SEMA w/o door glass, just a regulator. No one will be the wiser, Shh don't tell

25. Saw a picture of your truck in the SEMA thread, Oh man, that looks bad ass!!!
    More pictures please.

26. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

Here you go ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446510336.011603.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446510357.347045.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446510380.991757.jpg

Max Gearhead likes this.
  27. greaser

greaser

Flowmeister did a great job setting up the pieces for the picture.
    This little truck looks to be a rapid rod! How does it hook up??
    By the way... what's with the license plate? Isn't it a '33?

28. That looks like a whole lot of fun!

29. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

According to the serial number it's a 32