Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Radius rod and spring perch interchange

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by lorodz, Nov 1, 2015.

1. lorodz

lorodz

I have a 1940 axle and 1940 unsplit wish bones id like to know what is the year and interchange for the radius rod bolts that attach the wish bones to axle and have the houdaliel shock mount on them...if thats spelt correctly....and if anyone has a set for sale with the castle nuts thanks

2. The perch bolts with the ball on it to take the friction shocks are all too short in length to go through a 1940 radius rod, you might get about a half turn on the castle nut before it tightens up.
    I have now used modified a Model ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446431853.230282.jpg A wishbone as I also want to have friction shocks on the front.

3. It's Houdaille. Yes, I was going to say a Model A perch would work. The top of the '40 wishbone thickness would be a problem, you would need a spring over design instead of a spring in front.

4. lorodz

lorodz

I just want to know where i can get a set of stock length ones or what interchanges with the 40's

5. macsantiqueautoparts.com

Perch- pt # 28-22408-1
    Nut- pt# 28-22412-1

They also sell just the ball end of the perch to weld on another type of perch (like on a '40) so you have the right length of pin, and you can install Houdaille lever shocks.

6. You can also use spring perches from '32-'34 car, they are longer. You can also use 1940 Ford truck or standard car spring perches and weld the shock ball mount on the upper tab hole.

7. 1940 standard and truck perch pin and ball mount.
    The mount wouldn't be straight on but would be offset forward or reverse depending on how you mount it in the axle so you would have to adjust your shock to frame mounting accordingly.

Attached Files:

8. Here's a 1940 deluxe, 1941 standard perch. The tab on the backside could be used to mount the perch pin shock ball mount also.

Attached Files:

9. lorodz

lorodz

Thanks for the part numbers i just want something that will work and ill be able to assemble my front end its all thats stopping me from doing so

10. No problem. The problem I see using stock Model A perches is that the length of the pin threads not completely coming through the bottom of the wishbone due to the thicker, upper part of the '40 wishbone boss. I'm not aware of the later wishbone perches having a factory Houdaille mounting ball attached like the earlier one's. The upper boss of the earlier wishbones, up to '34 were thinner to accept a shorter pin length, which had the ball end for the Houdaille shocks, the later one's were "Aircraft style" shocks, hehe.

11. lorodz

lorodz

Anyone know where i can locate a set of 35 style radius rod bolts..or if their the same length as 40's