Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1965 Coronet W11 How Rare?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porkshop, Oct 31, 2015.

1. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Just bought the car, its a field find. Fender tag shows it was a 383 4bbl 4 speed. Before I decide what do do with it, I was wondering how rare it is. Info online I can find show 154 post W11 2 door sedans with this combo. I don't want to cut it up into Awb if its worth more to a diehard Mopar guy. Thanks John..

2. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Any Mopar guys out there? Here is a pic IMG_20151031_161936881.jpg

3. slowmotion

slowmotion

154 with the Scooby-Doo on the front fender? The Road Runner crowd'll go ape-shit!

Here's a bump for ya. :D

badshifter and belair like this.
  4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I once contacted Mopar Historic about a similarly optioned QQ-1 '66 Coronet 440 2 dr ht, it was one of 3. Original numbers matching drivetrain was missing, so I passed. Still regret that...

5. indyjps

indyjps

Talk it up with the owner, sometimes those engines don't go far. Helped a friend build a chevelle, we found it crashed, parked it in a field no drivetrain, the 396 4 spd had been sold to a another guy. He put it in a hot rod truck, drove it around, it rusted and was in his back pasture with the engine and trans.
    We bought both vehicles within a week, they were 20 miles apart.

6. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

I never though to ask about the drive train. I will ask. I didn't run the numbers till I got the car home, and cleaned out the garbage in it and saw the four speed hump.

7. slowmotion

slowmotion

Always had a soft spot for those Mopars. My best friends older brother bought a brand new Belvedere in '65. 383, 4spd, bench seat. I remember that big long Hurst shifter like it was yesterday. Cool cars.:D
    Good luck with that one.

8. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

9. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

Cool car. If you found that is Fresno/Clovis area I am jealous.

10. Find Galen Govier (the MoPar GURU) on the internet and throw him the serial number. He can tell you EVERYTHING about the original car.

11. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

found it on Fresno Craigslist.

12. Yeah, he probably can but for big $$$$$$$$$$$

13. The car may be worth it to research it more. Some of those big block post cars are worth their weight. Tell Galen, John Keiser sent you. He will either give you a discount or charge you more....lol.

14. finn

finn

The guys over on the moparts site can help you, and they won't charge you like Galen does.

15. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Thanks for the tips and advice, I will check into these.....John

16. squirrel

squirrel

If you're going to do an AWB car, what better place to start than with a rare factory performance car? :)

(it takes a real man to cut one up)

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think the Mopar Historics program that I used is long gone, it was actually part of the old Direct Connection program, it was a free program, and the info they sent was pretty comprehensive as I remember.
    When I contacted them back in the 80's about the '66 Coronet, IIRC the letter I got back was signed by SS racer Larry Shepard. He also headed up the LA engine program for a while. I will go through my stuff and try to find that letter and post it here. It may be gone, I don't know if I still have it, but I will take a look.
    I wont comment on Galen Govier.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

FWIW, have you thought about doing a "day two" car out of it? Instead of another AWB '65 B-body (which really needs a late hemi or at least a max wedge clone to be REALLY right $$$) you could do it up to look like a real-world street driven hopped-up '65 Dodge you might have seen at a local drive-in or running B/MP at any track in the country, circa 1966/67.
    How about keeping the chromies, adding some vintage Raders or Dragfasts on the front, some 7" cheaters, and a bunch of circa '65 engine mods? Theres a 343hp 383 dual 4bbl intake on ebay right now, there was a guy on one of the Mopar forums that was cloning the early sixties Jardine tri-y max-wedge headers, even if he isn't selling them anymore, you could look at the photos and clone them, you could add a Mallory dual point or W&H dual point and get Isky to grind a "period" solid cam for it, add a pair of small-neck afbs's, and some 3.91s or 4.11s, crank up the torsion bars a bit, and bobs yer uncle. You can maintain the essence of what is a pretty rare car, have something that's still a hot-rod, and is a lot more distinctive than yet another AWB clone. Just a suggestion, its your car, bla,bla, bla...

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  20. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

falcongeorge, that's probally the way I will go. Ive done a ton of decoding research on all the sites and they all come up 383 4bbl 4 spd. I spoke to the lady i bought the car from about the original engine, she says to come have a look around the property it may still be there among all the derelict cars spread all over. so that's on the agenda this week.

MNOutlawCustoms likes this.
  21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

man, if you find the original engine, SCORE!!! What a cool find. Subscribed, keep us updated. I LOVE where this is going!

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The OP's would have been a non-console car, but I think the shifter would have been the same.
    ScanImage001a.jpg

Fedman likes this.
  23. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

yes bench seat non-console. only options, Am radio and heater package.

24. slowmotion

slowmotion

I'm pretty sure they were different George. This is the handle that was in the 65 bench Belvedere.

[​IMG]

I remember the thing looked like something out of a Roth drawing. I thought it was cool as hell, still do.:D

cptn60 likes this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was actually expecting one like that as well. The photo I posted was from a Car Life road test of a loaded 426 4bbl '65 Coronet. I wonder if the curvier one WAS used in bench seat cars? Maybe I can find another period photo of a bench seat 4 speed car? I have a 1967 Hurst catalog, maybe I can check some shift tower numbers.

Edit: just checked, console has a different pt number. I will dig more.

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If this is getting anyone chubbed up to do a period Mopar racer I'll sell this one cheap... IMG_20150829_213058824_HDR.jpg

brad2v and falcongeorge like this.
  27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Highlander whats the story on the vega? Maybe pm me, just curious. I've been jonesing for a sb vega for 3/4 years, but I already have way too many cars.

Hurst P/n's W/O console are Hurst DP-4-65 listed for '65/'66, or with console Hurst DP-4-66, listed for '65\'66, but keep in mind, '66's and '67's were factory equipped with Inland shifters, '65s got factory Hurst shifters. Still trying to figure out what handles were in the non-console equipped '65s.
    '68/'69 went back to Hurst, but with the round handle.

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

ok, it took some digging and some cross-referencing, but I found pics of both handles on the hurst website, and slowmotion and I were remembering it right.
    Non-console '65/'69 B-body flat stick. But this shifter was NOT factory installed '66-'69, '66/'67 had Inland, factory installed Hurst Shifters in '68/'69 were round stick, I had one in a roadrunner.
    hurst_3916789-b_1173_detail.jpg

Console equipped, '65/'69, but see notes above re: factory install '66/'69
    hurst_3916790-b2_582_detail.jpg

29. slowmotion

slowmotion

Not a very good pic, but here's that shifter in a bench car

[​IMG]

Edit to add after seeing ^^^^^ That top one's the one George.
    I believe they were 64-65 B body only.
    My cousin's new '69 RR (bench) came with a round stick like you said.

30. Fedman

Fedman

My buddies 68-69 Roadrunner, AKA "Rot Bucket" in 1975 :D Had the Round shifter that had the Reverse Lock-out trigger mechanism. Factory installed I believe.