Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flathead tune up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shelby69500, Nov 1, 2015.

1. shelby69500

shelby69500
    from michigan

I have a 35 ford stock flathead. What are some simple things I can do to dress that motor up and also maybe some simple performance tips. Also are there any different maintance from a flathead motor to a traditional V-8?

2. Interesting question, but wouldn't the flathead be the traditional V8?

Katuna likes this.
  3. There are some books written - JWL on the fordbarn.com has an excellent one that shows what performance updates does what and in what order to do them in.

First though is a "Y" adapter and run two carbs progressively. Charlie Pride (?) down in Florida has the kits ( a bit difficult to deal with at times but I have used his setup in my avatar for several years now). For dressup, chrome acirn nuts on the intake and heads is very period and looks good. Different aur cleaners are nice but try and stay away from the paper element filters. KnN has the smaller filters for the 94s and Stromberg's. Flatheadjack also has nice filters for the scoop style air cleaners. I use then on my avatar.

For sound, duals but according to JWL they do nothing performance wise. After the small steps we start getting bigger and more expensive ....

Hope this helps a bit ....

4. shelby69500

shelby69500
    from michigan

Do acorn nuts work on a stock heads?

5. shelby69500

shelby69500
    from michigan

Also how do I put headers on a 35 flathead with the steering box in it's stock location

6. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Check Red's Headers. He has a ton of application specific headers. Do t know about yours specifically but I wouldn't be surprised.

And it's Charlie Price at Vintage Speed. Updating your ignition would liven things up too.

7. Yes, acorn nuts work on stock 24-stud heads ...

Thanks for the remind about Charlie Price, Katuna ... CRS wins again!