Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Time to carry a spare tire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Oct 31, 2015.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have been driving my 37 Chevy p/u for 15 years with no spare so now that I have a jack and tools its time for one,I do have a original carrier but since I had to move the rear end back to center the wheels its going to hit the rear end. I have been thinking about one of those cable units from a newer truck or van so has anyone used one on a older truck,kind of thinking about hooking a motor up to one so I would not have to cut a hole in the bed.

2. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

The cable lift on a Dakota is cranked from the back, through a hole next to the license plate. If you get one, try to grab the tools package as well, it has the drive shaft for the lift.

3. on a 38 chevy i built last year, i used one from a toyota pu. i used the tool handle from a nissan pu.. i think they are all the same.

4. cometman98006

cometman98006

My 41 has one off a Japanese pickup but don't know which one or the year. Works with a rod through the rear bed support and does the job just fine. No room for as gas tank there though.

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I may have dreamed it, but I think I saw one of the minivans being advertised with a power up and down cable spare mount. I can't remember which one it was though, so that makes me wonder if I actually saw it or not. Sucks getting older and losing your memory........now what was we talking about? :D

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I looked at the local U pull yard at a few small trucks but did not see any electric powered spare mount but I did not look at many mini vans,I will be heading to a swapmeet on the way to that yard so I know what I will be doing tomorrow. I was thinking about adding a rearwiper motor to one from a truck but if there is a electric version I will try to find it.

7. Toyota uses a cable deal that will rust solid if not used . Mitsu's use a chain ,that will work.
    If you go to all the trouble with an electric, you will never need it.:rolleyes:

belair, tb33anda3rd and clem like this.
  8. I've logged thousands of miles in hot rods in the last 45 years or so and never carried a spare,but when I finished the wagon and decided to go to Novi last year for the '54 Ford Convention I thought it best to add a spare along with all the tools and parts.

I still don't carry a spare in the Deuce sedan. HRP

9. indyjps

indyjps

Silverado use a cable with the drive rod next to the hitch. Grab a space saver spare or skinny rim and a donut tire. It'll get you home.

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I went out in the garage and tried the original and it will have to be shortened too much so I took off what was on the truck and it will be sold to a restorer,I spent over a hundred bucks on that stuff and instead of screwing it up I will get my money back and maybe more. I really do not want to use a space saver spare but its better then nothing until I can get a rim to match,I hope to have something tomorrow.

11. R35J1S

R35J1S
    from Missouri

You could use an old 12 volt cordless drill motor to run it up and down.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

12. ........and if you're in a big hurry, bolt up a starter motor. ZING!

kiwijeff likes this.
  13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am thinking a power window motor would work the best since they go in both directions,I am heading out to the junkyard shortly and will see what I can come up with.

14. i would rethink the whole electric motor thing. it is going to be not used, for probably a long time. it is under the truck and subject to the elements, a used motor and something more complicated than it needs to be, with no way to fix it, when it would have to be needed [side of the highway].
    simple is better in this case

15. A power window motor wouldn't be strong enough to raise the wheel and tire,they are slow raising a window. HRP

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

I exchanged my six pack for a spare tire, that I always carry with me.

yruhot likes this.
  17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

A Astro van donated the parts and now to see if I can make it work and picked up a space saver spare to use until I can order a matching rim.

18. Please post how it woks out.
    Terry aka dirt t

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will have to make some brackets but I think it should work,I am still going to look into a electric motor just to see if I can do it.

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think I have a plan and just going to drill a hole in the bed and do it manually,I will cut a notch in the rear crossmember to mount it and need to come up with a bearing for the shaft to turn in but should be no big deal and will start working on it this week.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  21. J'YJeff i used a grommet on the through hole in the bed. the hole needed to be oval so the pin on the handle would fit so the grommet took the shape of the hole.

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I do not think I am going to bring it through the bed,I am going to cut the shaft and weld a nut so I can use a ratchet to operate it. I could not exactly find a mint one so I looked on ebay and found one in similar shape with a buy it now price of 60 dollars so I will clean up my 10 dollar part.