Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 ford custom build (MISS SCARLET)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kippers 34, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

How did you do on the hill. This promises to be a very popular event. It is getting a lot of attention in some sites and it's just the 3rd year. I hope growth doesn't spoil it.
    The car is really coming together and looking great, love the details.

2. Thanks. The tranny started leaking out of the front seal so I had to add a little gear oil but other than that we put about a thousand (grinning from ear to ear) miles an
    Over all she done well. There was a small hiccup I will explain later.
    The Hill Climb is the most exciting event you could ever attend and the cars are a collection of the best of the best on earth. I don't think there were more than one or two that I wouldent die to own. Mike put on one hell of a world class event. This is my second year and I will be back every year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Kip....I'm still here following along and digging the hell of how your car turned out!

So I take it the Walker radiator didn't cause any issues with the grille-fender-hood alignment? How'd it cool?

I'm thinking of using one in my '36. I'm running an Olds Rocket that barely fits with the original radiator....an extra 1.5" of clearance might be enough to let me run a mechanical fan instead of an electric eyesore.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    daddio211 likes this.
  4. The 37 to 39 walker actually fit quite well. I had to lengthen the support rods about four inches and then make a new support for the rear of the bull nose. I still need to make a bracket to go from the shell to the rad on the side. If your not painted this would be a lot easier.
    With my small opening she runs a little hotter than I would like when I am on the highway pushing her hard but idling or on the highway at a regular pace it cools good. With a stock grill I think it would cool excellent. I ran one in my 34 ford with a built 331 Chrysler and it never got hot. I wish that I could have gained enough room to get rid of the electric fan but the water pumps on the 8 cm are still out to far. I was able to move the electric fan to the rear so it is far more efficient.
    Good luck on your 36 hopefully you can come to speedweek with her if we can quite getting rained out. Later Kipp.

5. We were supposed to leave for the Hot Rod Hill Climb on Wednesday afternoon but Tim, Larry, and Woody were not quite ready so we stayed and helped to try and get there cars on the road. At about four in the morning we headed home to get a little sleep. Thursday at about ten I got up threw my bag in and headed for Milkweeds house where Mike was already waiting. By about eleven thirty we were on the road. Bird Dog and his crew left about two hours earlier with Tim Sutton from hop up with them. We left Salt Lake headed south east and cought up with them in Grand Junction. We rolled with them on to Glenwood Springs where we stopped for gas.

After leaving Glenwood springs it got dark and then it started to rain like hell. We pushed on with Milkweed in the lead. Almost to the Eisenhower tunnel we came around a corner and there was a mountain lion in the middle of the highway. Barley missing him we pushed on into Georgetown. Getting in late and having frazzled nerves from driving in the dark and the rain it was time to sit at the cantina and have a margarita or five. Then off to bed.

6. Diceman9

Diceman9

Kip..... It was so kool seeing you guys roll into Bo Huffs show. You're right..... there was a crowd around the car almost all day. Its all good!

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

I've been seeing this car, everywhere! I pull off the exit heading to Park City, there's Kipp. I drive downtown to grab supplies for a job, there's the 36, again. It's good to see this being driven all over. Aside from looking great, it sound pretty great, too.

daddio211 likes this.
  8. All you have to do is follow BobK for a year and you'll be able to hit all the top car events and put enough miles on the car so you can have the honor of restoring the car while the build is fresh in your head!

Enjoy and cheers for a Job well done!

daddio211 likes this.
  9. thegreek

thegreek
    from San Diego

I saw this on instagram and I'm so glad to have found the build thread. Easily one of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen. I hope to come across it in person some day.

10. Thanks Kent. It was so cool just to have made it to the show. With around a hundred miles on her when we left the valley it was a fifty fifty as to if we made it or not.

Thanks Brent. It's hard not to drive her everywhere I go.

Thanks. I wish I had the time to drive her coast to coast. Maybe some day.

Thanks for the compliments. Hoping to hit some shows west of Salt Lake in the near future.

11. Sorry for not posting enough latly. Between Trying to enjoy what little warm weather we have left and catch up on all the odds and ends at the shop and around the house that have gotten neglected I haven't had much time to sit at the computer for more than a couple of minutes at a time.
    Thanks again everyone for all the help and support.

12. Thanks for the amazing build thread!! It helps guys like me with little knowledge of 1940 builds keeping a car traditional. This kicks me hard in the a$$ to work on my 1936 5 window. Thanks again kipper34

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  13. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Just re-read the build again. For what seems like the hundredth time. Such a beautiful car. Every time I read it I learn something else. I really hope to emulate this build with my own. Thanks again kipper34 for such a detailed thread.

14. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Car looks great kip. I think this is the year i try to finish mine

lowcoe and swissmike like this.
  15. Thanks. She has been a fun build that has set the bar pretty high for my next.
    Thanks. She is getting close to being finished.
    Thanks Nate. I would love to see you finish your 36.

16. I need to sit and spend a couple hours to catch up on the thread. Work and catching up on things around the house have taken most of my time lately. As some of you know she is at the upholstery shop getting stitched up at the moment. Cant wait to get her back home. Hopefully soon.
    Later. Kipp.

heyitsnate and nitrobrother like this.
  17. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Kip I am bringing home a 35 Plymouth we need to chat. Pics of interior where are they you have a fan base that's waiting.

18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Yes we are waiting and our patients is running out young man. :rolleyes:
    Birdog, are there pictures of the Plymouth somewhere? Those are pretty too.

19. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

I will post them soon school has been kicking my ass. Need to get back on the old devil

20. The Pics of the Plymouth look good. I need to try and stop by. I was trying to yesterday but ended up at Decon's Hemi hunting. I will try and get with you next weekend.

21. Lets see if I can catch up here. A lot has happened in the last few months.

22. After arriving in Georgetown and hanging at the cantina half the night it was time to have some fun. If you haven't been to the Hot Rod Hillclimb you have no idea of what a great event that Mike puts on. It is a very well organize laid back environment that shouldn't be missed.
    Pancake breakfast for everyone ( they must make about a million) and drivers meeting and tec in the morning then staging for the race.
    With more excellent traditional Hot Rods in one place than maybe any other on earth it is hard to take them all in but it makes for a lot to do while waiting.
    Finally at the starting line it was time to see what she has under the hood. The flag goes down I dump the clutch and she falls on her face. Panicked I rap her out drop the clutch again and she falls flat again! W T F ! I realize that the overdrive is engaged. Shit! I kill the overdrive rap her out drop the clutch and we are off. After such a shitty take off I needed to save a little face. the first turn is very gradual but turn two is very sharp. Coming in hot and stabbing a 39 toploader into first I knew I might break something but coming around that corner with the tires smoking was a wonderful feeling. There is a video on Instagram @fiddymerc with scarlet fallowing Chris Elmers roadster that is amazing. After a great run we came back down the mountain and staged for the second run. After lunch it was time to make a second run before the rain that was on the horizon hit. Ready to start and then sirens coming into town. A hiker fallen and search and rescue were headed up the canyon. Being the only road up the canyon we had to wait for them to come back down in order to run. With the rain coming Mike had to call the second run.( The hike was not seriously injured.)
    With race over it was time for the awards and partying to commence.

Mike dosent want anyone pushing so hard that someone gets hurt so there is no actual timing so awards are given by club pick or pic by mike.
    I went to the evert with my friend of the THROTTLERS of Salt Lake who gave out an award for favorite. Then Colorado Springs Rod and Custom gave out an award for their pic. Much to my surprise it went to Scarlet. Then Mike gave out a few awards including an engagement ring to Amy his girlfriend.
    Receiving an award for a Custom at a Hot Rod show was extremely exciting. Thanks to all the guys at Colorado Springs Rod and Custom.

wingnutz likes this.
  23. After the awards and hanging out for a few hours it was time to go up to Larry's house for a barbeque dinner. While out on the porch we look over the rail and there is a black bear in the driveway. Apparently he was hungry also. I think we scared him because he turned and slowly wandered down the road. Later that night we went to the Hop UP release party where Tim Sutton told me when I get her interior in to let him know so we can schedule a photo session. What a end to a great day!!!!!!!!
    I am not sure what time we stumbled in to the house but I am pretty sure the sun was about to come up.

24. With a major hangover it was time to get prepared for the drive home. After cleaning up the house we headed over to the other house for breakfast. After breakfast the Throttles called a club meeting where they presented me with a plaque and asked if I would like to join the club. This was very unexpected. That makes me the firs new member in many years. The weekend just kept getting better.
    One last pic before we headed out.
    The drive home was nice. Driving in the daylight was a delightful change.

Outback, Speedy Canuck and kustomitch like this.
  25. After getting home I had a hard time removing the 66 from the side it had kinda grown on me.

26. Sounds like you're having a hell of a lot of fun!

27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Thanks! I'd like to make it to a Hill Climb some day. Great pictures.

28. reefer

reefer

Great car and great write-ups....you have a great eye for what looks right...the roof is spot on.Ive had a couple of 36 3 window coupes and the roof always seemed out of proportion with the back end...the gap from the edge of the rumble lid opening to the roof always looked too long and made the front look stumpy.The way you have rebuilt your coupe has the perfect balance.The grill really is about the best I've seen on a 36 custom and I could not agree more about the colour......one of the best builds on the HAMB I've seen, thanks for taking the time to include us in the build.