Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures What is a "Short"..as in "chopped short"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Oct 29, 2015.

1. I remember hearing it a few times in the '60's but it never was used where I lived. Also heard the word "kemp" used the same way.

falcongeorge likes this.
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^ Sharp short short.
    Different song... we like short shorts! Gary

3. I heard the word used occasionally around So Cal when I was growing up in the 60's and 70's. My impression was it was a term from the 40's or 50's as I only heard it used by "older" guys.

4. bone31

bone31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from oregon

I am from compton, yes from the 50's nothing like a cool short

5. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

The lesser know song Cherry, Cherry Coupe mentions it too "the wildest short in town in my cherry, cherry coupe".......

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heard the term a lot in the late 50's early 60's in the Central Valley and a few years back from a couple of older guys (my age-72) from the SoCal area.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah, make sense.
    Ex wife: "You're gonna drive me CRAZY!"
    Me: "Short ride..."

8. So you're straight out of Compton. Wooooooorrrrrrd.

Hey @Atwater Mike when I was little I was down in the Mission on a Saturday for a birthday party. A family I knew lived right across from from that park on Dolores. Anyway the Pachucos were still pretty big back then and a bunch of them came rolling up for the party. One of them came across the street and someone said, "Hey mang I dig your chort." I thought he meant his girl friend because she wasn't very tall (even compaired to me :D) and he laughed and said, "No little brother he means my car." Then he took an inkpen and drew a pachuc mark on my hand and said, "Now you are one of us, this little marks is how many times you been in prison" Everyone laughed about it.

Saxman and barryvanhook like this.
  9. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

All of the above is cool, but don't start me talkin' about "Huarache Sandals" from the Beach Boys "Surfin' U.S.A."

Since I had lived in Pasadena & Hollywood during the early-to-mid 60's, at the beginning of the Beach Boys career, I was the only one at any radio station I worked at in Little Rock, Detroit, or, St.Louis, who ACTUALLY knew what "Huarche sandals" were whenever I played that song !

"You'd see 'em wearin' their baggies
    Huarache sandals, too
    A bushy, bushy blond hairdo
    Surfin' U.S.A."

Amen to "Chopped Short" & "Huarache Sandals" !

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I heard both "short" and "kemp", but it was more common to hear "short" around here growing up in the sixties.

11. "I had big ol' long black Cadillac, he turned my car into a short..."

bowie likes this.
  12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Damn you learn something new everyday!!!!!

13. KEMP Kansas Example of Metal Punishment. :D :D :D

seb fontana and falcongeorge like this.
  14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The Huarache sandals are the sort of thing that forces language to change over time..."on rubber" traditionally meant owning/using a short; democratizing it by putting pedestrians on rubber too forces the language to split and reformulate the concepts...

15. Ahhh, the language. THIS: is also a Huarache... 11715392016_91ef0c980f_c.jpg

seb fontana and falcongeorge like this.
  16. LOL I have actually owned huaraches that didn't have old tire treads for soles, my folks brought them back from La Paz for me. Now that makes me feel a lot older then I really am. :D

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

This is possible. To a professional chauffeur taxi trips would be short hauls. Or, maybe was because a taxi was the shortest thing you could drive, compared to a limousine, bus, or truck.

Driving a taxicab = pushing a short.

18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Never saw huaraches with tire soles but I saw plenty of Ho Chi Minh's with them. :eek:

19. yruhot

yruhot

I thought shorts were mustang slang.

20. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Back in the 70's I had some huarache sandals with tire tread on them (that my Grandma brought back for me from Cali) way before I was old enough to own a short. But being from the Midwest I didn't know what either were until tonight!

21. wisdonm

wisdonm

22. larry k

larry k

In the Midwest we used the term "jitney" it meant a inline 6 Chevy ,as in chuck berrys song he bought a souped up jitney it was a chery red 53 !

23. This is a jitney, in modern times referred to as a jeepney. Originally found in the Philippines after the second war.

[​IMG]

I was reading through today and two things come to mind, sun burnt aging American men with Huaraches and shorts and black socks in a Mexican tourist town and @falcongeorge no longer says banned.

24. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Vocabulary building...olde R&C's, centering around maybe 1960, had little humorous fiction stories in them. I have not found enough coffee to remember the author and I am right now several miles from any R&C's. Miller??
    Anyway, read those and you will build your vocabulary of hip and beatnik influenced speech, examples documented as part of car culture by their very inclusion in Rod and Custom.
    Then, go find a copy of "Straight from the Fridge*" so you can build out and produce your own truly cool speech.

*Full title noted in post #17. I gave my copy to a graduate student who became so cool he had to be institutionalized.

25. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

My miss guided minimal education in all things, shorts were not the full size cars or in other words, the short wheel base cars.
    Novas vs Impalas etc.

26. Bruce, you are probably thinking of Carl Kohler. I always looked forward to reading his stories in the small mags.

Mick

27. blackanblue

blackanblue

I love short shorts, can,t recall the song, never heard of short referring to cars other than electrical problems but then I live a sheltered life in the boonys.

28. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

29. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

There was a period of time that some of my friends referred to anything they drove as a short. Artesian Bellflower area socal

jnaki and Chili Phil like this.