Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-52 New Old Style Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.B., Dec 12, 2010.

1. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Thank you for that. I have been following your build on the Custom Car Chronicle since you started that Two Merc-thread in spring. I think the car can be very nice when you are done with it, even if I really would like you to start on that coupe of yours and build it with the influence of that Bob Tormey 1941 Mercury you have in your avatar. Keep up the good work! :)

Thanks for understanding, Chris. That -53 of yours is really slick and the -41 with that (photo)chopped top looks great. You gotta do it! You have some nice cars in your garage, for sure. That -34 of yours is one of the best around!

2. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I guess this will qualify in this thread.I saw this in Sweden at summer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BigO, Asphalt Demon, koolkemp and 6 others like this.
  3. DSC02274.jpg
    '49 Olds 98 Holiday. Nosed and peaked, decked, shaved handles, dropped, black & white Naugahide™ interior. If the '53 wheelcovers are too far afield, tell me and I'll take it down.

4. @jb yes the 41 is getting chopped. It still will not be that radical so I'll probably post progress elsewhere.

5. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

I have nowhere stated that this thread is for radical kustoms only and a modified and chopped 1941 Ford convertible with a nice stance is definitely correct here. But nobody is forced to post anything. Would love to see more of that car, though!

6. fredrik49

fredrik49
    from Sweden

Im not sure about that, the grille is a stock 1946, it has been around in Sweden for a while, but not sure we're the chop is done. Do you recognize the car? :)
    On the pic it missing the -41 bumper, and of course the hood. image.jpg

7. Voh

Voh

Anyone got an idea as to what they used for the turn signals?

8. I'm bursting - hafta spill the beans now.. A sneak peak - almost (re)done:
    DaveS_41Merc.jpg

DaveS_Merc02.jpg
    Dave

LBCD, madfish, bscc50 and 14 others like this.
  9. Dave, that is GORGEOUS!

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  10. Aw shucks.. Thanks!!

I will do a (re)build blog on this former Kustom Knights car when I'm done.. I hope Al Sinclair (first to customize it) is looking down and approves..

Dave

11. How could he not?

12. Looks great Dave! What is that colour looks similar to the Rootbeers on the Toyota Venza's and the newer Ram trucks.

13. CadMad

CadMad

That's what you call "clean as a wet whistle".

14. Janne

Janne

fredrik49: Looked familiar but coulnd't find reference photo. If I remember correct the car I'm thinking were sold to Sweden as well. I think it had Cadillac taillights, it's been some years now...

15. Here we are now, this is how she sits today... A little different. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446150778.838434.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446150803.334417.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446150827.493632.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446150883.638647.jpg

16. Thanks 13! When I first acquired the Merc (H.A.M.B. classifieds) I planned on some work being done and knew a colour change would be in order then - no sense doing work and hiding the fact by painting the car the same colour again! I was after a shade that represented the proper era but would be different than the maroons, dark blues, dark greens and blacks typically seen on these cars. So, I remembered reading that Geo. Barris would use dark, dark toners with gold and bronze powders mixed in for a luxurious effect. Bingo! a very dark brown with bronze pearl was conjured up with help from my painter buddy. The pictures (and indoor lighting) tend to emphasize the bit of red pearl in the colour, but in the sunlight she's bronze. Of course since I had this "vision" many of the manufacturers have added very nice deep browns to their lineup. That's the short answer... :D

Here's a Photoshopped version I did years ago:
    41inBrown.jpg

'Preciate that!

Dave

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    bscc50, chopper99, Finnrodder and 3 others like this.
  17. Cool. I was just in Saskatoon last week for work could have seen it in person. :DDoes your buddy work for one of the shops there?

18. jerseymike

jerseymike

wow dave! looks great. good to see it almost done. haven't seen that car in many years.

19. The painter has his own one man operation 13. We really should get together. Drop me a message next time you plan to be in the area and we can do a mini tour! Lotsa good stuff goin' on nearby.

A lot has changed Mike, but we kept the essence of what Al was doing!

Dave

More Old Style Customs please.

20. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Dave that thing is just amazing! Wow! :eek:

Nice to see it more finished. Not really a 1948-52 style kustom with the different accessories, but a nice custom car. :)

Great to see you start working on a kustom again. Now you will need the Appletons you sold. Or did you keep them? :D

21. fredrik49

fredrik49
    from Sweden

No, sadly I sold them... But I've started the hunt for some new ones! ;)

22. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I remember that car from "the day". Al was a great guy, and I'm sure he would approve!

23. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

I might have my pair of Lorraine 37's available.
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

Went for the outward early 50's appearance . kk4.jpg pair 2014 c_edited-2.jpg 461807-1366814635-160752eebcaf1620ef01111dcd02f3b0.jpg ESNS(247).jpg ESNS(249).jpg
    With some some period people added in.

485219-1379860563-b3d6f2a9c651e1da8f3fdc30ce592c7d.jpg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  25. rbantique likes this.
  26. chryslerfan55 and rbantique like this.
  27. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

rbantique likes this.
  28. 'Mo

'Mo

There are some absolutely kick-ass customs on this thread!
    Here's one more, in process (eric54chevy's).
    Skirts, bumpers, and more to come!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    rodncustomdreams and eric54chevy like this.
  29. '41 Mercs are sooo purdy! Make nice customs too!!

Dave

eric54chevy likes this.
  30. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I don't know why I keep forgetting about this thread, but whenever it it pops up again, I end up going through it in its entirety. Its my favorite period of customs, although I tend to lean more toward the earlier end of the spectrum represented here. I'll throw my daily-driver '39 Tudor up here...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its more of an "everyman's" custom of the period; no major body modifications, just a shave of lettering and the whiskers on the hood, a slight drop favoring the rear, skirts, Hollywood Flippers, and a hopped up 59A in the vein of these cars:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (both photo's credit @Rikster's Custom Car Chronicle)

Unfortunately, I'm about 7,000 miles away from it for the next few months, but while I'm away I've been keeping my eyes on the classifieds and auction sites to bring it up a few more notches. I'm looking for a pair of 112's, and some nice bumpers to swap (ideally a decent pair of '40 Mercs, hint, hint), and a few other goodies for when I return and get this thing back to the daily commute. It'll get a few other body tricks from the Dan Post books and sit just a tad lower too...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016