Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1926/27 Roadster on an A chassis: The Sugar House Spl.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by -Brent-, Oct 28, 2015.

1. This is going to be good!!!
    I love the O2 Tank. I have an elder neighbor that has one in his garage I've been trying to get, no luck so far. I'm looking forward to seeing how you mount it.
    You might lean that decklid up out side in the rain add a salt slurry spray and empty your adult beverages that your badder contains on it. That will speed up the rusting faster than just rain water :D

-Brent- likes this.
  2. Little more inspiration for ya;

Whitey Johnston's T - 1941
    IMG_20140821_165609.jpg

Connie Wiedell - 1942;
    IMG_20140814_075144.jpg

And an un-identified T circa 1947-8;
    IMG_20140815_100145.jpg

Can ya tell I like 32 grille shells on these cars? ;)

3. scratch

scratch

My mate John the Hippy in the uk in 89

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71, volvobrynk and -Brent- like this.
  4. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Subscribed! Love the history as well as the build.:D:cool:

-Brent- likes this.
  5. -Brent-

-Brent-

@gwhite I've seen a couple of those pics and love the high headlights. If I were to run a V8, a 32 shell would be on my list. I've just started looking, again, for one for my coupe and, man... prices are crazy.

Regarding the headlights and the bar. I'll be running a pair of Guide 903Js, if I remember correctly.

I had been fabbing a bunch of stuff because I had a small crack in my crossmember at the corner of the square spring bolt hole. Since @Salt Flats Speed Shop and I had a small trade deal going on I got a few things together to be welded. Now that the frame is ready, I'll get it to a roller.

Anyway, the headlight bar. I'm all about the tall headlights. I know that in lots of places (especially So. Cal., where so many of these inspirational pics come from) had headlight laws, which kept them high. I've asked some old timers and the memories conflicted about Salt Lake. It didn't much matter, to me, as I wanted them high anyway.

I dug through some junk on the shelf and came up with two different fender brackets. I put the word out on Instagram and to a couple other buddies and @BCCHOPIT came through with a match to one.

IMG_20150627_170832.jpg

I trimmed them high, not knowing what it'd look like on the frame.

20151018_144614.jpg

Set them up in the vise... (sorry for the pic, the HAMB wants to landscape them).

IMG_20151018_145549.jpg

First round of heat and straightening.

IMG_20151018_151119.jpg

First mock-up. I tossed a bar with lights on them and it was too high - way too high. Also, the uprights needed to be more vertical. My neighbor probably thinks I'm a weirdo with some of the stuff I bring out of the shop, into the yard. I just needed more space to get perspective.

IMG_20151018_154334.jpg

From the side.
    IMG_20151019_192045.jpg

Back at the bench for more heat, cutting, and grinding.
    IMG_20151023_214926.jpg

The next day, at Salt Flats' place.

IMG_20151024_122504.jpg
    IMG_20151024_102859.jpg

It turned out to be one of my favorite items, so far.

Truthfully, I just heated, bent, and cut until it looked good, to me. And, I'm really happy with them. When it comes time to mount it, for good, I'll grind off the markings on the bolt heads. When I have a better shape/detail pic, I'll post it up. But since the topic came up, I figured I'd post.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  6. -Brent-

-Brent-

In addition to pics like Gary's, these pics had little details that influenced my headlight bar.
    RoadRunnersClub025.jpg

Dirt-Rods.jpg

IMG_20150814_192147.jpg

Dannerr, kidcampbell71 and Squablow like this.
  7. louisb

louisb

I like it!

--louis

-Brent- likes this.
  8. YES! Such nice work...these details look odd to our modern (street-rodderized) eyes, but they are spot-on historically.

I did some research on CA headlight laws and found this reference to the California Vehicle Administration law (section 100, chapter 876, effective Aug 4, 1943); "Two headlamps, no more and no less, mounted on opposite sides of the front of the vehicle, and, except as to vehicles registered prior to January 1, 1930, they must be mounted directly above or in advance of the front axle of said vehicle. Said headlamps shall be located at a height measured from the center of the headlamps of not more than 54 inches nor less than 28 inches above the level surface upon which said vehicle stands."

With my chassis mocked up at approximate ride-height, that's about 12" above the top of the frame rail. I'd say you're definitely on the right track!

-Brent- and volvobrynk like this.
  9. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

Fender brackets: one is 28/29 and the other is early 30 and 30/31 AA truck. The supposed reason for the high headlights was a DMV rule about the height.

-Brent- likes this.
  10. -Brent-

-Brent-

That's some great info @gwhite! Thanks.

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

I matched one of them. The one on the right, I believe. Is that the AA truck? That's info I'd love to have documented.

12. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Brent - you are right on the money with this build.

What's happening with the other TA4 you started some years ago?

-Brent- likes this.
  13. -Brent-

-Brent-

The other roadster is sitting up in the attic of the garage (well, the frame and body). That car wouldn't be very friendly to drive around in. And, there's some things I'd like to change. Life got hectic and the car got put away right after I had broken it down to finish, unfortunately.

I could see it going back together and selling it to fund the coupe.

Thanks for the complement regarding this roadster. I appreciate it.

14. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Pics and posts are cool but get to work TROG will be here before you know it.....

-Brent- likes this.
  15. -Brent-

-Brent-

Yes, sir! I'm committed to a few evenings a week and time on the weekends. I pretty much have everything I need. The only thing I'd like to buy is Flathead Ted's brake kit. So, I have no excuse to not get things done.

16. Love it man!

-Brent- likes this.
  17. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

This is exciting to see. I've been waiting patiently while you restore a house and raise a kid until you got your priorities in order. Heh. You know, a part of me always wished I had used the later aprons. But I went with the early ones because I wanted to move them back in line with the cowl, and the early ones looked better that way I thought. But I can certainly see using late ones on another car.

This is gonna be a really neat car. I love the headlight bar. Motivates me to go play with lights on my car. And the windshield. Looking forward to watching this come together.

Speedy Canuck and -Brent- like this.
  18. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

I'll go along for the ride. Looks great!

-Brent- likes this.
  19. Love what your doin!!!

-Brent- likes this.
  20. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

It's funny how life changes your priorities, and this is reflected in the hot rod projects we build.

Brent, life sure has changed for both of us since we dined in that Micro brewery all those years ago.

Keep up the good work with this project, who knows, I might meet up with you again for a beer and a burger.

-Brent- likes this.
  21. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

I'm also collecting parts for a T roadster on an A frame, and I'll be following your build. Very cool so far.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    -Brent- likes this.
  22. Pics of some TRUE HOT RODS. Makes some of today's R++ Rods look finished in comparison.

Ben

23. Great work! And I love tall headlights!!!

-Brent- likes this.
  24. -Brent-

-Brent-

Spent a few hours in the garage, Sunday, as the kids (and their sugar rush) hung out with their grandparents. Most of the time was spent cleaning and organizing. Usually, I don't mind doing it but having everything I need right in front of me (or in the case of the garage - exploded all over everywhere) I really just wanted to get something done.

So, before I headed back into the house I figured I'd get at least one little thing knocked off the list. It's nothing major but needed to be done. The square hole in the front cross-member had a crack and was no longer flat. The crack was addressed last week but the bend needed to be heated and hammered flat.

IMG_20151101_185706.jpg

I also stole the gasket out of the Stant cap that came with the filler neck and it was a perfect fit in the A cap that I used. Now it closes snug and seals.

Earlier, I picked up a new battery tray tin from one of the suppliers. Chris had welded it, last week but I forgot to post up pics. I want to document the build as best as I can for later reference.

IMG_20151023_215847.jpg

IMG_20151101_174251.jpg

Here's the embarrassing IG pic I posted of the mess, two hours into cleaning.

Screenshot_2015-11-02-09-04-50-1.png

I'm committing myself to get more cleaned up and orderly before I dig into the front end. I'll be swapping the A axle for a 32 "heavy" to get a little drop. I reversed an A main leaf a while back and have been contemplating throwing that in there, as well. I'm back and forth on that, though.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  25. Subscribed. I have a similar project although mine is just in parts collecting phase. Love the direction youre going in!

-Brent- likes this.
  26. -Brent-

-Brent-

My plan for suspension and ride height are to lower the car mildly. After doing some homework and asking some questions I planned to run a T rear spring (unaltered), a 32 heavy axle (which is about an inch drop over an A beam), and either reversing an A main leaf or pulling a couple leafs to soften the spring (I'm still undecided and welcome advice).

When it came to swapping the rear spring I was advised to compare the arcs of the top of the A and T springs and if the T was different (most, but not all, are) a shim should be made. I came up with the template below and contemplated a few ways I could fab one up, at home (meaning with my own modest tools).

IMG_20151027_140636.jpg

Simply said, what I was doing wasn't working out. I would have eventually gotten a shim shaped the way I wanted but at the cost of a lot of unnecessary time.

The plan was to bend matching arcs for each spring (The A C-member and spring matched) and then cut and bend a shim to fill in the empty space on the sides of the shim.

I wasn't happy with the first shim I cut and scrapped it before spending any time grinding and such.

IMG_20151024_000241.jpg

IMG_20151024_001840.jpg

IMG_20151024_002653.jpg

When Chris and I were getting the frame, tank, and headlight bar sorted I mentioned the shim and how I took a break (from it) since it wasn't working out.

The thing is, with @Salt Flats Speed Shop, he's come a long way from the young kid on the HAMB fabbing all-aluminum Willys or early Fords. And even though his shop is still graced with lots of prewar cars - he's really grown as a fabricator. He's designed and fabricated a modern interpretation of a Yoder and has plans for other tools to increase his capabilities. And his work constantly improves, too. It's neat to see.

So, after I mention what it was I was fabbing Chris says, "get me your template and I'll draw it up in SolidWorks... and we'll send it off to the machinist." and just like that, problem solved. I wouldn't usually throw modern/machined items into a project like this but it's something that'll never be seen and it's a saves time and solves a problem. Win, win, win.

Square95hole.jpg

As for the shim. It allows the top of the T spring to go from approximately 4 inches of contact with the crossmember to a little over ten inches. I don't think cracking the crossmember will be an issue, now.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  27. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

that's a great solution. makes me think about getting back a T spring I traded off some time ago. time to make a phone call...

-Brent- likes this.
  28. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Any chance of going into production?

cadillacoffin and -Brent- like this.
  29. -Brent-

-Brent-

I got the quote, last night. It's fair for an item that'll take time to make but it's not going to be cheap. I hesitated, at first, but after a few minutes talking it out and considering time investment I went for the "buy now, cry now" approach. I'm sure that this place would do a run of them if there were people wanting them.

Here's the thing, not all used T springs are alike after all the years of use. So, the lower curve (of the shim) may not (probably not) be a one-size-fits-all deal. However, I did compare the shape to all of my T rear springs in it was pretty close to matching all 3. Enough so, that once they're clamped in, they'd probably contact fully.

If you want/need one, PM me.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.