Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Galaxie...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Galaxie...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. NoSurf

NoSurf

3. Great story, great car. I love those Galaxies. I had this '64 back in the late 60's and I still miss it today. Wimbledon White, 289, w/ rather rare slide-away steering option. 11092014_0001.jpg

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've got one o' those...'63 and a half, Wimbledon white. Got a fresh 406 I'm assembling, with a RAT top loader. Wish I had the swing-away steering option...there was a young woman parting out a '63 boxtop with one, but she wanted $2500 for the steering mast, brackets, and fasteners...
    I said 'Good luck'...she said they move these all day long on the 'Gas Monkey Garage'...:p

czuch likes this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for update on story

6. Cool, it has been a year or two but finding an old heap and driving it home used to be the norm at my place.

Looks like fun tell Keith I am happy for him. ;)

czuch likes this.
  7. Very cool. When I was 17/18 I worked at an auto parts store and I owned a couple Galaxies. A lady I worked with told me her husband's friend's Dad passed and had an old galaxie in the garage the family was getting ready to sell, and would I be interested. I went over and looked and there sat a 63 500 hardtop "boxtop", black with perfect red interior, white headliner. Parked in 1967 with 39,000 miles on it. It had a blown engine (223, 3 on the tree). I borrowed the 1,200.00 asking price from my Dad, repaired the engine and drove it for years. It was one of the nicest cars I've ever owned.

Can't wait to see what Keith does with it, I have a soft spot for these underrated Fords

czuch, lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  8. belair

belair

wow. Cool car, cool trip.

9. Deadbird

Deadbird

Nice score. Looking forward to what he has planned.

10. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Love the wheel covers.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Love those Galaxies. Very cool that Keith ended up with it. I'd be interested in the 289 if he decides to yank it out.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Warn Keith that im going to come to his shop every day and sing along to shit eighties west coast yacht rock until he caves in.

need louvers ? likes this.
  13. Cool story! And what a rad photo location that Pegasus place is. At first sight I thought the cover shot was an old Ford factory photograph.

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Holy shit... I'm in tears.

Thanks for help yesterday neighbor...

15. Also love the Pegasus starship and admire a man that still uses a roll film camera:cool:.

czuch likes this.
  16. slowmotion

slowmotion

Damn, I like your style man. Can I use that? :eek::D

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Eleven years old, 1964 World's Fair, riding in new '64 Galaxie convertible in the Ford Pavillion . . . that will hook you on these cool cars. Love the hardtop style, what a score!

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  18. 504640

Those stock ford spinners always looked great with black walls! Is that car a black XL? I had a black 63 1/2 500 with a 289 and a OD, shifted with a Hurst floor shifter.. I was running 65 mustang GT spinners on that one.

19. silverdome

silverdome

So who put the new tires on it? Riding on the '60's vintage tires might have been a real adventure.

20. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Congrats Keith! Looks like a nice one.

21. And as Paul Harvey use to say."Know you know the rest of the story" HRP

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wasted away again in Margaritaville, oops, that was the 70's and East coast.

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The seller put new tires on the car in preparation for selling it. We got lucky on that one!

24. tevintage

tevintage

You Boys know how to have fun! Great find. Seeing the Galaxie brought back memories of Fred Lorenzen racing for Holman and Moody. Also Galaxies at the drags when stock cars were really so. Thanks. TEB

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. jeta12

jeta12

What a great car....Congrats!! Cant wait for the Updates.

26. seatex

seatex

Did the uber rare hatchet ratchet come with the car? More Dare-devilry from Tardel!

27. jroberts

jroberts

Great car and the drive it home adventure makes it even greater.

28. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Oh boy.I`m in.Mr Tardel does some sweet stuff.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

29. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

I love these stories. Some of my greatest times as a car guy have been pulling shit like this off or almost pulling it off only to be hosed at the last second. Just ask Geeman51 on our 61 cadillac adventure.
    The thing I always wonder about with these stories though and I guess it is just because I make a living Fixing cars and have a thing for "Mechanic Stories" What kind of drama was it to get the car started and running well enough that you trust driving many hundreds of miles? Or were you really that lucky to show up to a car for sale and not have a dead battery, the air cleaner removed (for god knows how long) and somebody telling you "sure it ran when parked" or "I run it once a week for an hour."

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

We didn't do a damn thing. I think she had a mechanic get the car running and driving before she put it up for sale. Nothing looked to be cleaned up or anything, but I could go out there right now, bump the key, and it would start right up. So, no drama there at all....

A few years ago, I bought a '65 Buick Riviera out of Boston sight unseen that hadn't been driven in 15 years. I drove it home to Texas without a single issue...

To me, there is nothing more fun than buying a cheap car a long way from home and rolling the dice on the trip back. That's adventure...