Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hemi Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vinniez, Aug 13, 2008.

1. vinniez

vinniez
    from california

A good friend has a couple of early hemi marine engines. One of them is a reverse rotating assembly. Are they worth anything? One had been rebuilt about 10 years ago. I believe they are 303? I am not real familiar with hemis. The valve covers say Chrysler Marine. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>

2. 73RR

73RR

vinniez, 303 is not a Hemi number, but that is not an issue, and reverse rotation can be 'cured' with the appropriate pass car parts.
    The bigger issues with marine engines is whether or not they are from salt water operation:eek:. Long term exposure in the salt will cause alot of degradation within the water jackets and this is not something that can be fixed. If the engines are still assembled then be very cautious about spending alot of money. If you can remove the intake manifold then look inside of the water passages for an indication of potential problems.

3. vinniez

vinniez
    from california

Thanks for the info. I am going to go look at them today.

4. jambottle

jambottle

they are proably 330 desoto marine engines.i have two. one was apart when i got them,it was missing one head and rocker set.now the good part;they had adjustable rocker arms .you can tell if they do by the little clearance bumps between the spark plug holes.these desoto adjusyable rockers are extremly rare and will bring big bucks bythemselves.valve covers for desotos with the bumps are in the same league.did anybody on here ever see a set?i had a guy on a hemi forum tell me that chrysler never made adjustible rockers for the small desoto hemi`s and no one disputed his reply!
    chris

5. George

George

Only seen Chr & Dodge marine listings, are you sure its a marine DeSoto??Chrysler valve covers only fit on Chryslers. There should be a code stamped on a flat in front of the valley cover & if you get the intake off, there will be a casting # between the head & valley cover on the drivers side in a car, could be diagonal corner on a marine hemi. will be a 331 or 354.

6. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

They made FACTORY adjustable rockers for DeSoto's

I have seen 1 '56 FireFlite with Rockers & Factory Dimpled Valve covers & i own a pair of Factory Dimpled Covers.

They are rare, But they are also REAL !

7. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Since it says Chrysler Marine on the covers, they are likely 331's and possibly 354's and clearly not Desotos in any regard. Also, even if the covers have the bumps, they may not have the actual adjustable rockers. So, I wouldn't assume that until you peak inside to verify. Good luck with them!

Oh, also, to verify 100&#37; what you have, get the block #'s and check them. The number is on the top of the block towards the front at the edge of the valley pan. Scrape it clean and read the numbers very accurately. The first several numbers are the most important and very critical, the last numbers are just serial numbers. They made all kinds of versions, so read the numbers very well and post back and we can probably help you figure out what they are very quickly.

8. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Please post a picture of the Desoto adjustable rockers and valve covers. ;)

9. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

These are dimpled Desoto covers I found in a trunk of a Desoto last year at a salvage yard. I thought they were d500's as I didn't think desoto ever made them . I loaned them out so a guy could have his chromed. He just gave them back a few days ago as the did not fit his Dodge. I just lined them up with my other desoto valve covers and they match. Other items in the trunk were tall deck heads but no rockers on them . No info on them and they were not modified as far as I can tell.
    image.jpg image.jpg

10. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

11. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I know, are we not allowed to discuss threads after a certain timeframe?

12. George

George

some don't notice that it's a Dead Thread & act like a problem back then is still a pressing matter years later. A photo of a Desoto valve cover with dimples is interesting, needs to be posted on the Hemi Tech Index in the appropriate sub section.:)

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have also seen dimpled Desoto valve covers, and like the ones pictured, the dimples were round.

14. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

15. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Same Covers with the Wire covers installed for the Non Believers desoto covers 005.JPG

16. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I believe I know what I have .... desoto covers 007.JPG

17. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

I'm a believer

18. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Thanks Rich you saved me the leg work! Nice collection!

19. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Still waiting to see those "factory" Desoto adjustable rockers......