Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 Ford 5w Refresh Thread - Closed Driveline T5 now!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTaulbert, Oct 11, 2015.

1. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

The last bit of chop work left was the windshield detail. I needed to lower the stud that the windshield arms slide on, to correct the geometry. That also required lowering the bracket that bolts onto the frame as well.
    [​IMG]
    I cut that section of the pillar out, and moved it down. After cutting a hole for its new location, I welded it in place. I made a simple filler panel for the hole at its old location, and welded it as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once that was done on both sides, I cut down the garnish pieces for the windshield opening. That also involved moving the notch for the stud bracket that just got moved, and adding a new hole for a screw to hold the plate in place at the top.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had rolled the car outside the day before finishing the windshield work (which is why there are still clamps holding the frame closed) to get a look at the car from a distance.....
    [​IMG]

BradinNC, 63fdsnr, Hotrodmyk and 17 others like this.
  2. The car is looking really, really good .... love your work!

3. thequietwon

thequietwon

Cory...car looks great, and I've been following it's build on instagram. Question...it looks like you just cut the A pillars at the bottom and leaned them back? You didn't have to cut across the cowl to keep the windshield from sticking out at the bottom? Thanks...
    Sam

4. Car looks great...next question..How did you persuade Reggie to sell it? He has a great collection and a beautiful shop to work in...too bad he stopped the BBQ pre Roundup...

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

What a great build, really like the fine details. Thanks for the seat detail, I plan to use that on my Stealback when the time comes. Bob

6. I like it!:cool: Did I just say that about a car with fenders?:eek:

Runnin shine likes this.
  7. Man,the car sits right and looks great HRP

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy, 509garyd and X38 like this.
  8. brady1929

brady1929

A true hot rod

9. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Cory your workmanship on this great looking coupe is superb! I appreciate your photo documentation and explanation of your projects on the coupe too.

10. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Since it was a fairly mild chop, and the posts did not lean much, it didn't require cutting across the cowl. We discussed doing it, but it would've been a lot more metal work that really wasn't required. Now approaching 4"+, you would definitely need to....

I was never lucky enough to attend the Roundup back then, but I think the sheer number of people was too much for one guy to take on....

11. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Great project Cory, did you use mostly stock components in the chassis? It does sit right.

12. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I didn't do the chassis under this car, but the frame is bone stock with a Model A front and rear crossmember. I did swap out the dropped '33-36 front axle for a '32 last year though. I'm going to be changing a few things on it in the coming months, so look out for it.

Eventually, I'd like to replace the whole chassis with another original one that I have waiting a full build.

13. clem

clem

So you took a perfectly nice car ( see post 1 ) and made it into something completely different, ....
    Another perfectly nice car....... I like them both!

14. Standard32

Standard32
    from LA

Always enjoy your projects!...thanks for taking the time to compile the pics and post it all.

15. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

Great work Cory, keep us posted!

16. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

The 5w had a F100 steering box installed at some time, which has been a nice upgrade for the car. The flange wasn't replaced on the box, and instead the frame was redrilled for the F100 pattern. I would've preferred doing a new flange to fit the '32 pattern, so I'm going to redo that here pretty soon. In conjunction with that, I wanted to lower the column angle down some to better position the wheel with the new seat.

In our roadster, I modified a '35-36 drop to lower the column angle. For this car, I decided to take a different approach. I cut the very top of the drop off in the bandsaw, and made a 1" filler piece out of 3/16" stock. I wish I would've taken some photos along the way, but I think you'll get the point. I have a few pits to weld up, but the drop is pretty much roughed in.
    [​IMG]

mgtstumpy and bonesy like this.
  17. The perfect 5 window. Jive Five 2.0

18. scotti32

scotti32

19. Beautiful! You can't go wrong when you're using the Jive-Five as your inspiration! What are you planning on using for a transmission behind the small block?

20. Fantastic as always. I dig how you take a friend helping friends approach to you builds. It's what this hobby/industry needs more of.....

21. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

You're nailing it Cory! You have excellent taste, sir.

23. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Is your Smith torch a jewellers torch? I have a 5W as well and I was wondering if you would like to share yours plans for the seat?

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Pictures are all gone. Confirms my position on how badly Photobucket sucks.
    I post pictures directly from my computer to this site and they never go away.
    Stupid Photobucket. :mad:

RICH B likes this.
  25. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I just enjoy working with other people, and learning from them....

Thanks John!

I just have a regular O/A torch....maybe you saw a MAP gas bottle torch in the back ground? We were just using that to melt some lead out of the a-pillars.

Highway robbery.....I just paid for a year of increased bandwidth at photobucket to get through it right now. I used to host my photos on my Facebook, but they change the URLs randomly, and it breaks the links (as with all my previous threads). I guess I'll start uploading them here.....

26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

In your tech week write-up your Smith torch looked smaller than normal. Seat plans? Yes/No?

27. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Subscribed! Looking great.

28. alchemy

alchemy

Please do host your pics right here on the HAMB. Long after Photobucket, Facebook, Instagram, and all the other social websites are just memories, the HAMB will still be here. And our Grandkids would like to see these pics when they are researching the third coming of "traditionalism".

RICH B and norms30a like this.
  29. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Looks great, Cory.