Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '62 Ford Uni Big Back Window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69supercj, Oct 24, 2015.

1. 69supercj

69supercj

Someone talk me out of buying this. Found what the seller says is a super solid truck with a Jag front end, ebay tilt column, SWB, new 20's and tires. Front end has had new upper and lower balljoints, its a power rack but no pump or hoses on the motor, good glass except for the DS vent window which has been replaced with plexi, C notched in the rear, stock bed floor, good tailgate, good floors, cab corners and supports and a good core support. All electrical is good, 292 with a 4 speed and nothing has been done to the running gear as far as upgrades. 8.8 disc rear from an Explorer with 3:55's. Small chevy pattern on the front and ford on the rear. RF fender has been scuffed but doesn't look bad. Drive it home for 10,500.

2. okiewelder

okiewelder
    from central Ok

I have two of these trucks. One is a stock roller and the other one I have been working for a few years. Fat man front end BBF c notch in rear and big brakes. I love mine and it sounds like a pretty good deal. BTW I have 3 or 4 of the tailgates and none of them are worth bolting on the truck so you that one has a good one that is awesome

3. Aside from the " new 20's and tires" sounds like a nice driver

4. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Helped a good friend put one of these together two winters ago. Big window 62. If it is what you say it is and really that solid, I know for a fact you can't build it for those dollars. He is still hunting for a tailgate and core support for his. Both are iffy at best.

5. luckystiff

luckystiff

lots of things pop out to me in that description to worry me. plexi for a window that is readily available for not much money or could be cut by a glass shop no problem? no rust in cab corners? uni's don't have cab corners........ it's the torque box you need to be worried about. if you see rust about half way between the back of the door and front of the wheelwell it's got torque box issues. MOST DO. and cab corners are a walk in the park compared to fabbing your own torque box fix. also need to check the front cab mounts. i've seen CLEAN trucks that were being held in on the front on a wing and a prayer.. core support and tailgate as said also usually shot.

i do jag swaps in these trucks. it's in my opinion the best fit out there......... here's my RUSTY 62 big window with jag notched 2" into the frame and explorer rear........... i know of a dozen people that passed on it because of the rust before i got it for $700. it's getting floors, cab mounts, torque box, and a whole bunch more. my core support is worthless. my tailgate is "workable". it may be done before i die hahaha

Attached Files:

6. okiewelder

okiewelder
    from central Ok

20151012_161211.jpg 20151012_161201.jpg Yea all that is true about these trucks. I have been working on mine for years and still no where near where l want it to be!

7. 69supercj

69supercj

Torque boxes and cab mounts are solid according to the seller. He's got 15 of these he says and this is the best one he's ever had as far as rust issues go, the truck came out of Kansas. The inside of the bed looks very good, no rust issues along the bed side/floor seam area. The one thing I'm not crazy about is the different wheel bolt patterns but I guess that would be an easy fix to change the rears to match the fronts? And loveoftiki I'm not a big fan of the 20's either.

8. luckystiff

luckystiff

explorer axles in chevy pattern are easily had for not alot of money...... even cheaper if you know a machine shop that will still redrill to different patterns. the only one i knew that still would here closed about 2 years ago. i'll make a jig and drill them myself from now on i guess.........

9. luckystiff

luckystiff

oh and my negative mind also goes to if he has 15 of them he couldn't steal a good door glass for this truck instead of the plexi. sorry but my negative mind instantly makes me wonder what else got short cutted along the way. seen way to much horror that there were usually small hints like this. i've been told i can be an ass when buying because i hold no punches pointing out things like this...........

10. luckystiff

luckystiff

okie i may know where a bottom trim strip is if you need it. guy told me he had 2 extras and 3 extra glass a while back. i need to pay him another visit soon.......

11. 69supercj

69supercj

Well stiff I also seem to look for the bad stuff when it comes to car deals myself. My take is the only thing thats been done to the truck is the jag clip, a new front bumper and wheels and tires. No running gear updates, other then the rear end, no interior work, no new weatherstripping, ect. I'd rather buy it without the wheels and tires and put my own on it.

12. okiewelder

okiewelder
    from central Ok

Luckystiff, l have the chrome for the bottom l had just put the glass in and not gotten it installed. Thansk

13. luckystiff

luckystiff

worst case i'm sure the wheels would sell to someone............ if all the aforementioned is good. and the jag swap done well. probably not a bad buy......