Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "RUSTY" Hemi Model A on 32 frame build: updated 10/25/15

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Noland, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Everything is looking good man, only thing I would say is center the push bars under the round circle in the middle of tail lights. For me anyways, my eyes are draw to them and so if the push bars where under them it would pull my eyes down the bumper with the speed holes in it.

Justin

2. Noland

Noland

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I tried them in a few spots but I still haven't welded them yet. I tried them where you are saying and it just seemed like everything was happening in one spot to me if that makes sense. thats why I spread them out some. thanks again

3. Noland

Noland

I'm still making progress but the brutally cold winter definitely slowed me up a bit. I figured I would post something I've been working of for awhile now.

It started out life in a 49 f-6 dump truck but with some work it now fits in my model A. this is the piece that will replace the wood under the rear window and raps around to the quarter windows. all the wood will eventually be replaced with metal. some from a 49 f-6,some from a 33 ford pickup and some handmade. I think it will look neat when its all done. But for now this is what I've done.

I had to narrow it a few inches and make some different ends for where it mounts to the quarter windows,also added some holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after a good sandblasting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also used metal prep on it, after blasting to prevent it from rusting until I can get some paint on it. I'm going to primer and paint the backside before I weld it into the body.

4. patman

patman

<bump> Any updates?

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

6. Yet another story of cast away to fabrication masterpiece. So where in the name of God does one pick up these kind of skills?? You said, punk kid......I think 15 to 25 years of age....that's alot of talent to pick up in that bracket. Am impressed with all of what you have accomplished...especially considering what you started with. What a heap !! Imagination, and talent gets you far in life. What a blessing for that piece of mf'n metal, huh? Rust in peace no longer.

7. Having said, all that.............hope all is well....just noticed the January post. Take care man.

8. hallrods

hallrods

Any up dates?

9. Noland

Noland

Yes Im 25 now be 26 in march. How the years do fly. Thanks for the very kind words. As far as skills it just comes from alot of practices and alittle knowledge. Years of practice and learning. My Father owns a salvage yard so Ive been around cars my entire life and Ive been restoring cars since I was 13. Ive never built a car as extensive as this before though. I already have a 1930 model A so I wanted this one to be alittle different. I like to start with cars that I feel are to far gone for restoration when building hot rods. I couldnt take a running car and just start cutting it apart. It is a blessing for this old car. its hard to say what wouldve happened to this car if I wouldnt have gotten it. Might've gotten melted down and made into a honda. People just look at it and see junk nothing else.
    Sorry, Ive been slacking off on updates, I mean I havent even looked at this thread since mid summer, Ive been working on the coupe alittle inbetween things and I got some pictures to post So I will soon. Ive been spending most of my time working on other off topic car restorations tho, 1971 Chevelle and a 1970 Duster. Both are full rotisserie restorations and both are about ready for paint on the top side. Im exited about that but thats where most of my times been spent.

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

This build is outstanding Noland.. love all your ideas,thoughts and workmanship.

11. Noland

Noland

Thanks alot. I really enjoy your artwork keep up the good work.

12. Noland

Noland

Thanks everyone for the kind words of incouragement. I cant believe Ive been working on this car for three years already, its come along ways atleast but still alittle to go. So sorry it took me so long to get up some new pictures just seems like everytime I go to do it something gets in the way.

I'll start by showing you how the metal piece that I sandblasted in the post above turned out in the car. I think it looks good for being out of a 48 ford truck. the piece above the window is from the same truck. its hard to see in the picture but it took alittle more work to get it to fit. I painted everything before I welded stuff in because I figured that was the only chance Id have to do so. I made the uprights and used some fake rivets to make it look neat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also made some simple brackets to hold the MSD box and the tach box on the backside of the firewall. I tried to make them look decent with or without the boxes in place this way if I decide someday I dont want that stuff I wont have a ugly bracket to look at.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used some alum. fuel line to run the wires across the firewall. try to keep everything neat looking. Wiring seems to me one of the hardest things to do that with. and nothing looks worse than a birds nest of wires under a dash. I also am gonna run some wires across the back side of the dash to minimize the ones on the firewall.

[​IMG]

I got all the pieces and parts worked out and cut down for the grill shell finally. I think it came out pretty awesome for and old ford truck grill shell.

[​IMG]

I made a shroud out of some old alum. I aquired. Im real happy with the way it turned out. Should also really help the fan suck some air threw that mustang rad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All riveted together
    [​IMG]

and in place
    [​IMG]

I got my buick brakes back from the machine shop. I had him drill them for the small ford bolt pattern while he was at it because thats what my rear has. I think they came out great. Im using the buick backing plates. I just modded them to fit the ford spindle using some 1/8 plate.

[​IMG]

I finally was able to pick up a set of model A rear fenders at the swapmeet. ones I could afford anyways. They needed some work but thats what puts them in my price range plus I just wanted to cut them up anyways. I bobbed and opened up the wheelwell some then I used 3/16 brakeline to give it a bead around the edge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And thats some of the stuff Ive been up to on this car. Thanks for checking it out.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Lots of progress since the last time I stopped by, I really enjoy looking at the fine details. Happy New Year! Bob

14. johnod

johnod

Nice to see the progress report, definitely one of my fav build threads here.

15. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

Awesome work man. I really like the fan shroud.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. What a cracker this is, you are truly an artist mate.

Cheers. Tim W.

17. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

18. deuce354

deuce354

Great job!. can't wait to see it!

19. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Cool project. Holy holes!

20. Noland

Noland

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Im hoping to get the body back off the frame before winters over I just have a few small things I got to figure out and finish. atleast most of the metal work is just about done finally. It seems to never end.

21. KustomCandy

KustomCandy
    from Australia

Damn nice styling ques going here.
    Following..

Dan

22. Noland

Noland

Sorry everyone I just havent been working my coupe lately been dealing with other projects. Plan to be working on it soon though.

Stovebolt likes this.
  23. Noland

Noland

Finally did something on the coupe so I figured Id post a few pictures. It isn't much but its something. I didn't care for the column drop I already made so I decided to make another one using some muffler clamps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it came out pretty decent for some muffler clamps and I like it more than the one I had so Im happy. Ill try to keep the updates coming more often from now on. As always thanks for the positive feedback.

Rich B. and D-Russ like this.
  24. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

WOW! Just found/read this thread and you really have an eye for detail. Subscribing for the ride. Thanks for sharing your work.

25. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Love the new column drop, too!

26. Wikid Column drop matey, simple but effective. Keep it coming.

Cheers. Tim W.

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well, been 7 years. Got an update? Was looking really cool!