Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Scrappy '34 pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scrappydoo, Oct 22, 2015.

1. WELL SAID!

Scrappydoo likes this.
  3. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

The profiles on the sides of the 8n are probably the best and most seductive part. But the flat nose deflates it. I'd like to see the sidea of the 8n blended to a 41 1 ton nose personally. THAT has potential.

Scrappydoo likes this.
  4. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

I like the tractor nose better than the 3 "traditional" examples shown, that being said i used a model a grill shell on my 34...:confused:

Scrappydoo likes this.
  5. regardless of how well the sheet metal is massaged and fit to the truck it's still gonna look like a RR to me,sorry but that front would look great on a tractor where it belongs. HRP

1927graham, 56don and timwhit like this.
  6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I think I would be inclined to set it aside for a single seat racer leftover build.

BradinNC likes this.
  7. Scrappydoo

Scrappydoo

If it comes out like the photoshop that Patmanta posted I'll be very happy.

8. just Mike

just Mike

Hey welcome to the hamb, I'll watch if you use the tractor grill, could come out cool, or you could follow the sheep and put a 32 grill in it.....:rolleyes:

Scrappydoo likes this.
  9. bondolero

bondolero

wow, that 38 truck nose actually looks pretty good if you lost those monster bumper guards.
    It appears there are lots of suitable Ford based alternatives to give you the "look" you want without using the Ford tractor front. Maybe a 34 pass grille, hood, and cowl grafted on to the 34 cab since you want it fenderless ??

10. Kinky6

Kinky6

Scrappy, I think that part of what makes two of the examples that you posted "work", to the extent that they do, is that the tractor grille & hood lead into a narrow cowl, on what are fairly narrow bodies, especially w/ the white T. Your truck cab is (design-wise) on the way to being a full-size vehicle, compared to the models that preceded it. The idea of using that grille style and grafting it onto that truck cab may work better by using the actual '40's truck grille and hood that the tractor part resembles, and then cutting down the hood to match the cowl width.

As to the guy referring to anyone taking the safe route and using stock parts as "sheep", ya have to ask, what is the point of using very different parts in the build; to try and improve the looks of your finished project, or to impress onlookers with how radical a change you can make in the overall design from where you started. Often, change is not the same thing as improvement in terms of vehicle design. If the change serves a real purpose that's one thing. If its just to get attention, its probably not worth the bother. K6

chessterd5 and patmanta like this.
  11. just Mike

just Mike

I guess my humour was lost on some, my apologies. I just hope we haven't henpecked Scappydoo off of the farm, I was looking forward to this build. 34 pickups are one of my favorites and I like the lines of the grill he choose.

12. Scrappydoo

Scrappydoo

Im still here just havent made much progress to update with. The final parts for the front end came from speedway this week so once I get it all bolted up I can start making some headway. We have a mock motor and the trans were going to use so we can start motor and trans mounts then start playing with all of the body work. Ill share what ever progress I make with anyone interested here and gladly listen to any useful suggestions.

chessterd5 likes this.
  13. wutnxt

wutnxt

For a cheap and easy hood, check out my post "easy hood" from 46/47 truck hood

14. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

Hey, Scrappydoo it's your truck hack, slash, and build the way you want if it makes you happy. Just know your not going to get many cheers going out side the "norm" here. There are other boards that are more "open minded" when it comes to such builds. Having said that I wish I found this site earlier in my build I think I would have saved some time and grief. In some ways building in a "traditional" sense has more appeal and may even have more monetary value when or if you want to move on to something else. Like I said you build what you like, just know your putting it up for some of the greatest builders in the world to scrutinize.
    Peace, DD

15. silverdome

silverdome

What if you took the grille shell and leaned it back at the top and brought the center forward to give it a more vee shape? Plus you're gonna have to do something with the belt line to make it match up. I think that might give it more of a look that it is motion while standing still with more flowing lines. Can someone photoshop that?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  16. Think subtle , you know...less is more. The tractor parts will get the looks, but not the ones you`re after. Pretty sure after you log the many hours of mechanical /electrical/body and paint work on this project, you wont want old tractor parts messing it up.

RodNoc likes this.
  17. Chrisdel157

Chrisdel157

Do what you want bud, you don't need anybody to approve what you do. Last time I checked, there are no rules for building. Don't let anyone kill your imagination.

Scrappydoo likes this.
  18. Kinky6

Kinky6

Chris, Welcome to the HAMB, I see you're kind of new here. You are right of course, in hot rodding there are no rules, and if you were to log in at "Build Your Rod Any Way You Want.com", you would find yourself in good company.

However, the HAMB has a more specific focus, that being rods and customs built in the style of way back when up through 1964, and largely relying on the technology of that era, as well. Note that I am not saying the HAMB is narrow-minded in scope. Rather, this site regards the era from the earliest rods up through the cut-off date as a great period to emulate as far as traditional build styles, driveline choices, and so on. There are other websites that will support attention getting gee-gaws on "hey, there ain't no rules" type builds, but this ain't it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. RodNoc

RodNoc
    from Kelso, WA

Chopped, channeled, small block, and a 32 grill. Perfect. truck.jpg

Scrappydoo and patmanta like this.
  20. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Well said! X2

21. Chrisdel157

Chrisdel157

Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'll find my way out of here.

22. Kinky6

Kinky6

Chris, this ain't about finding the fastest way to run guys off, its just about understanding what this place is, or isn't about. 'Fer instance, my '66 Mustang doesn't fit in here, so I don't push it. A '29 Model A roadster pickup w/ a 302" GMC inline six, while not quite mainstream, does fit in.

Stay and read some more, maybe you'll see what part of traditional rodding keeps the HAMB crew going. BTW, the tech info here is outstanding, as well. K6

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Chrisdel157, AHotRod and patmanta like this.
  23. Chrisdel157

Chrisdel157

the tech articles are top notch. there are some very talented people roaming around the inter-webs. Thanks bud

24. Scrappydoo

Scrappydoo

Afternoon fella's just checking in to show that I wasn't run out yet and provide a bit of an update since it finally feels like some progress has been made. The front is pretty squared away and the next emphasis will be the rear to get the ride height squared away. Here's some updated pics.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450043369.853201.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450043398.544124.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450043411.994409.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450043428.160749.jpg

I'm finally understanding the feeling of accomplishment that comes with the small victories in building something from scratch.

25. Scrappydoo

Scrappydoo

Tacked in the motor and transmission mounts.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451835132.143804.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451835150.476139.jpg

26. Scrappydoo

Scrappydoo

Well here's an update at what's been going on lately. The motor and trans are in and the body is on and channeled. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458440261.947065.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458440281.463267.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458440306.862739.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458440333.612517.jpg

Attached Files:

patmanta likes this.