Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What axle should I put in my 59 stepside apache

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bryce Livingston, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Bryce Livingston

Bryce Livingston

Hello Everyone I recently started my first build, and I seeking information about the rear end. My questions are what axle would be a bolt in that will have disk breaks, posi, and 3:73 gears. Also with this axle what back spacing should I use on the wheels for a proper fit if I am wanting to run a 15x8 rim? Also feel free to offer up information on what length to cut a ford 9" down to when considering running disk breaks and the same rim size.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Nothing will be a bolt in, unless maybe you buy a complete rear from one of the suppliers like Currie. I'm not sure what disk breaks are, but you probably don't need rear disc brakes, unless you want them for looks or something? 1970s vintage Camaro rearends are about the right width and have 5 lug 4.75" bolt circle, which is probably something you want. You'll have to do some spring perch work to make it fit.

As far as wheels and back spacing and how much to cut a rearend...you probably need to figure out what wheels you like, then see if they are available in a width and back space that will work with a rear end that you can find. If not, then see how they fit in the truck with the tires you want to run, then you can do some measuring and figure out how wide to make the rear end. The width of brakes varies on different rear ends, so make sure you have all the parts first before you do any cutting.

3. Bryce Livingston

Bryce Livingston

Thank you squirrel, and yes I did mean brakes. However, my phone feels the need to make a fool of me at times. I wonder how a 74 nova rear end would do?

4. squirrel

squirrel

I have one of those in my 57 suburban, with 8" wheels with 4.5" back space and 275/60 tires. But the Suburban is a little bit different from a pickup, as far as the fenders, and I also played with moving my springs in board.

You really do need to figure out the wheels/tires first, then do some measuring of the fenders and bed sides and see how much room you have to work with. Then you can figure out how wide of a rear end you want. Then start measuring...

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Squirrel has it right, mock it up, measure three times, cut once!

6. Bryce Livingston

Bryce Livingston

Ok my next question is does anyone have detailed pictures of a sub frame swap?

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Dont mention sub frame swaps around here or you will be shunned and beaten to a bloody pulp.

8. Bryce Livingston

Bryce Livingston

9. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Do a search on the web for a Chevy truck forum. There's one that has a section for the task force trucks and you'll probably find the info you're looking for. This a straight axle forum.

10. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Late 70's Cadillac Seville rear is a GM 10-bolt with discs

11. When you read the rules etc. when you signed up you would have seen this:

5. As mentioned throughout these guidelines, the H.A.M.B. focuses on TRADITIONAL hot rods and customs. Posts pertaining to traditionally inspired, but not quite period perfect belong on the main forum found here. Please note that we don't focus on things such as modern fuel injected motors, big-inch wheels, frame clips, after market independent suspensions, etc... at all on the H.A.M.B.. As such, posts that stray away from the "traditional inspired" will be deleted.

12. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

What's so wrong with the frame GM gave these trucks? Theres tons of aftermarket support if you want something different. Subframes and frame swaps aren't as easy as assumed by those who haven't done it. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445730378.646357.jpg
    Stock rearend and i beam front, decent ride height. I drive the hell out of it, Anywhere.

Torkwrench and Saxman like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I dont see a problem with sub frames but they dont belong on this forum(i guess).

15. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

The thread that squirrel linked is a good one if you go that route, used it as a guide when we clipped my buddy's 59. Those F body's are pretty wide compared to the truck. Im not against the clips just saying a rebuilt stock front with decent tie rods isn't as bad as most imagine.

16. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, either way you can drive the truck. The clip is more work, the end result may be worth it to you. I have one of each...the clipped truck gets driven a lot more

17. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Put a 59 Pontiac axel with a 3:42 posi, 7.jpg in my 59 GMC, but it had to be narrowed. Went along with the 326 Pontiac V8 engine.

Barn Find likes this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

that gives you a 5" bolt circle for the wheels, unless you redrill it?

19. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

It would have, but I had a set of Moser axel shafts made and kept the six lug pattern. The Pontiac rear axel is already installed in the above photo.

20. yruhot

yruhot

jeffd1988 and squirrel like this.
  21. Bryce Livingston

Bryce Livingston

First I would like to say I'm sorry for posting in the wrong area. Secondly thank you to the guys that went ahead, and offered up information and links. Your help is greatly appreciated.

22. 55willys

55willys

I have installed GM sub frames in the past but prefer the Mustang II geometry an handling. check out Fat Man Fabrications.

23. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

For a first time build, my advice is to simply fix the truck like it is with stockish components. It's simpler (still hard because none of this easy or cheap) and you'll gain plenty of experience. Why complicate it?
    A 1950s truck with stock components and a souped up engine can be a joy. It's not for everyone especially these days, when frankly a lot folks seem to be scared of their automotive shadow. They require maintenance, care and responsibility in driving as all vehicles from that era do.
    You don't have to have disk brakes,IFS or any many of the things pushed by the aftermarket to have safe and clean fun in this hobby.

Flynn's_57, Saxman, Barn Find and 6 others like this.
  24. yruhot

yruhot

I love your post and outlook on automotive things in general. I recently got a line on a set of used coker wide whites for my 57 chevy stepside. The came off a caddy and were non radial bias ply type L78-15's. I think they look great on the truck. Comments I received at shows were crazy. you thought I was going to commit suicide with those tires.lol. They forget a lot of us grew up driving bias ply tires. Hell we drove anything that held air and were happy about it. Yes it wants to catch a rut in the road every know and then but you just got to be aware of that characteristic of that type of tire. And yes I have stock front end straight axle and all. "What are you doing going 4 wheelin" I like and love the truck.I dont need the front end in the weeds. IF thats your thing great.its not for everyone. Anyway Thats my two cents worth, not everything has to be the same, just build it and drive it reasonably safe and have fun.

F-ONE and 117harv like this.
  25. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

X2. never seen one in person.

26. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I have a sub on my convertible, just changed the type of independent suspension it has You can't see it when the car is done, but sure is more reliable and rides better

27. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

8.8" Explorer, 31 spline, 3.73:1 traction lock, disc brakes. Good width, spring saddles will require moving. Cheap and plentiful

28. squirrel

squirrel

The Explorer axle would have 4.5" bolt circle for the wheels, which may not be a problem, but you should be aware of it. if you put a Ford MII based suspension up front, no problem!

29. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I think the intent here is to have a traditional look. When one sees builds on this site you will see rides built with and without traditional or time period/era components. Some people get hung up when one says they are building a traditional ride and the purists come out to inspect. Vehicles have been built both ways and many turn out very nice and functional and still appear traditional on the outside. As long as it looks traditionally cool I think it's ok here but that is my opinion. Squirrel's burb looks nice and traditional but the ride height was accomplished with more modern equipment up front and others do the same. I have seen air bags in threads too as well as fancy new ignitions and wiring and a/c but overall the vehicles have that traditional flavor and look. Just my $.02.