Register now to get rid of these ads!

History At the Ready

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Oct 23, 2015.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

At the Ready

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Good God! I typically do not get very excited about post-1949 builds, but this one just grabs me by the nether-regions.

Thanks for digging this up!

3. Anyone else notice what appears to be a screw drive type set up in the trunk, in front of the battery. I bet it is to open and close trunk lid. An unusual touch in that day and age. Whaddya think ???

catdad49 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. What a sweet little "A"! That car would work just as well today as it did in the 60's.

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

anyone notice the radiator shell looks to be the top of a T and the bottom of a '31 grafted together

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  6. It sorta does...but I think it's a 30-31 commercial shell...T's usually have a rounded peak at the top. That's definitely a T upper radiator tank though.

7. Actually, looking at the pics again, you're right...the 30-31 A commercial shell lacks the bead across the top 'filler piece that is shown here. And side views make the top of the shell appear more rounded.

3wLarry likes this.
  8. Also, the upper beltline is not there on the rear corners of the roof.

gwhite likes this.
  9. Just an FYI ...

Mr. Ready is still a Hot Rodder ... Here's his "Member Bio" from the la-roadsters-logo.jpg website:

Larry Ready has been a member of the club since 1982.

His club car is a 1932 Ford Hiboy Roadster:

Ready Roadster 1.jpg
    Ready Roadster 2.jpg

He also owns a 1923 T-Bucket, 1940 Ford Coupe, 1956 Ford Pickup, 1967 Mercedes 230 SL and his future project is a 1932 Ford 3-Window Coupe.

In 2011, Larry became a Lifetime Member of the Club. He has been an Active Member for 30 years.

Larry has been married to his wonderful wife Sharon for 47 years:

Larry & Sharon Ready.jpg

They have 4 children (all grown adults) and 14 grandchildren (9 grandsons and 4 granddaughters, and still growing).

Larry is a “Junkyard Dog”. He’s been in the Auto Wrecking business for 44 years, and owns two wrecking yards. He runs the yards with two of his sons. Before the auto wrecking business, he owned a transmission shop.

Larry’s hobbies include collecting antiques, and enjoying the company of his friends and family.

What it means to be a member of the L. A. Roadsters: Being part of a very prestigious car club and feels there is no other club that can compare to the L. A. Roadsters.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    catdad49, skywolf, seatex and 2 others like this.
  10. AmishMike

AmishMike

So - ask him where the Model A is - all these nice cars cannot just drop off the earth. He must have some info where it went - let's track it down

seatex likes this.
  11. bondolero

bondolero

Must have been a green trend thing in the early 60's. This is a car from my hometown built in 61. I don't have color photos but it is emerald green with white tuck and roll interior. Shown in 1962 hot rod yearbook. Built by Marty Garcia and later sold to ??? parts unknown.

Attached Files:

catdad49 and J.Ukrop like this.
  12. Rand Man

Rand Man

I like the white tuck n roll roof. Very early '60's look.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have really liked this car for years, and had never seen anything other than the colour photo. Great to have more info/detail, thanks for posting this.

14. cool car, just the way i like them.
    rumor has it there are cars out there that are not fords
    DSCF4412.JPG DSCF4406.JPG .

bondolero and flamingokid like this.
  15. flamingokid

flamingokid

Somehow,I knew he was still in to A's if he was still alive.A car that painstakingly perfect doesn't just let it's owner walk away from the hobby.

16. seatex

seatex

these are the post I love on the HAMB, lets find this sweet A!

17. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Larry Ready is still a member of LAR, living in Ventura, Ca.

18. One of my all-time favorites, and an inspiration for my coupe.
    3644145610_c0169f2b99_z.jpg

19. catdad49

catdad49

Have these in my pictures as being the same car, then and now. There are some subtle differences and I don't remember where I found them. They are from a later period than most of the traditional cars on here, but they sure are neat! Thanks Joey

Attached Files:

Gotgas and HEMI32 like this.
  20. Love this car and the style of build. My love definitely shows in the truck redo I did this past winter.
    IMG_20151007_095442.jpg

My next build is a Caddy powered '32 Tudor that will be heavily influenced by the early 60's show rod look. Hope to get started on the build soon.

IMG_20150927_200915.jpg

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  21. I have the April '61 Hot Rod Mag.; feel in love with the A as soon as I saw the feature article. I thought of the same thing on how the paint "glowed" even though it was photographed in b&w.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Could be wrong from this angle, but I think that's yet another '56/'58 Ford wheel...
    [​IMG]

23. One of my favorites too.
    Here's some more pics:
    ponty_32.jpg ponty_32_2.jpg ponty_32_3.jpg

catdad49, Tn. Trash and falcongeorge like this.
  24. bondolero

bondolero

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  25. S.F.

S.F.

Its been a while but I've seen recent pictures of this coupe, it has survived minus fenders I think... I believe it was for sale not too long ago??

26. bornhigh

bornhigh
    from SOCAL

The A was bought by and still belongs to Jeff Tann (former editor of Rod and Custom and contributor to many other car mags), it's gone through various changes (minimal) and Jeff says he's now bringing it back close to it's original look.

HEMI32 and falcongeorge like this.
  27. Here's an excerpt from Jeff Tann's "Member Bio" on the la-roadsters-logo.jpg website:

Jeff Tann Coupe.jpg

Jeff has owned the yellow 1928 Model A Coupe since 1967 when he met {wife} Vickie. He purchased the car for $450 from Club Member Larry Ready. Jeff says he'll never part with the car - she’s a keeper – just like Vickie.

catdad49 likes this.
  28. From page 169 of Pat (@pgan) Ganahl's 2014 book entitled "Hot Rod Gallery: A Nostalgic Look at Hot Rodding's Golden Years: 1930-1960" ...

HOT ROD GALLERY (by Pat Ganahl) page 169.JPG

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  29. Nobey

Nobey

I just have to add I love the angle on the dash, really sets it apart.....