Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New thread about Old Pontiacs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56vicky430, Oct 19, 2015.

1. 56vicky430

56vicky430
    from Kentucky

Been a while since I was around here. I have been thinking about building a 55 Pontiac old skool hot rod for my dad. He is a Star Chief sort of guy even though when he and mom met he had the short sedan. Maybe a chieftan but more likely an 860/870. I am definitely going to stick with the shorter wheelbase car.

I've researched for several days now but still have not pinned down the exact engine I need to search for. I had a 60 389 2v at one time but I think that is gone now. I want an engine that will fit the car like an original would. Front mount. So that limits me to 60 and older from reading. Old stroker setups would be great.

Can any of you guys versed at old pontiacs tell me what speed equipment I should look for so the build looks like something built in the early 60's? I have found a spalding/grant ignition, 6x2 intake, and maybe a MT cross ram. Are there any other items that were out there once upon a time?

Just looking for natural aspiration right now. This will be hard enough without getting into blowers and injection. Tranny up in the air. Must remain column shift. 4 on the tree maybe, I have several 4 spd manuals on had. Old hydros OK provided I can find someone left with the know how to build one.

Didn't MT casr an aluminum front cover for the old engines?

Any feedback is appreciated!

2. 56vicky430

56vicky430
    from Kentucky

3. 504640

4 on the tree, huh? The only times I have seen that has been on early ford falcons, and ford econline trucks.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Just for a little motivation, check out the Seattle area, Craigs List, Cars/Trucks for sale by owner, 55 Pontiac. There's a very nice champagne colored 2 door sedan listed. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.