Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs wheel companies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by benjamin j, Oct 22, 2015.

1. benjamin j

benjamin j

thanks that makes good sense.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. A Boner

A Boner

Their website says they can alter your hub caps to fit their wheels. Does that mean that their wheels have an oddball hubcap retention nub diameter ? A better question would be, what aftermarket wheel mfg's have the same diameter hubcap retention nubs as old 40's Ford ones? I have some Wheelvintique wheels that won't retain original 40's Mercury hubcaps.
    -Thanks

3. Wheel smith is great, I have bought several sets of wheels from them, most recently a set of chromed 40 ford steelies. The chrome is great and they are built to order and real quick, had mine built chromed and shipped to me from Cali to VA in 2 weeks! Give them a call they make a really nice artillery style wheel which would look killer on that.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Bobacuda

Bobacuda

The 16" rims for my '53 Dodge were rotted around the valve stems. I wanted to retain the stock Dodge dog-dish hubcaps without modification. Wheel Smith had me send them my old rims, the cut the centers out, installed them in new 16" barrels, and powdered coated them. With shipping, my 4 rims cost about $800, but they look great, slightly wider than stock, work great with tubeless tires and still have the old school hubcaps. Even my wife thought it was money well spent.

Wheel Smith said it would take two weeks after they got the rims. I got the rims back 3 weeks after I shipped them. Could not be happier with their work or their service.

dana barlow likes this.
  5. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I tried that, didn't work for me either. Looking a t manufacturers web sites didn't get me anywhere either. So instead I went to car shows, and looked at cars. Every time i liked the way a set of wheels looked on a car, I took a picture of the wheel.

I got two things from this. First, I seem to like American Torq Thrust wheels. That's what I got the most pictures of, by a long shot. Second, now I have a bunch of wheel pictures. With a good side shot of my car, I can photoshop on a bunch of different wheel choices to have a look at them.

I haven't decided between the cast vs polished finish yet, and I need to figure out sizes and mess with dropping the front another inch or so. There's no rush, next weekend I need to mothball the car for the winter.