Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Blown 392... what era?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kona Cruisers, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

I keep wavering on my "build era"for my coupe...
    I have a 32 Chevy 5 window, body wise Im thinking Hard 4-5" chop, and highboy on 32 ford rails. And the starts of a blown 392 ive been trading out work for, it finally paid off and the blown 392 came home. It still needs to go to the machine shop and so on, but its there for the most part it is there...
    I want a 5.0x16 and a 7.50x16 bias ply in a mid to late 50's build. .. but not sure the blown 392 is the right era for that. would it be more correct for some 16x10 ETIII fuelers and some cheater slicks and more of the 60's era.
    I don't want the engine to stick out like a sore thumb in the wrong era.

any imput?

2. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Sounds like you already know the answer...

3. Chrysler came out with the 392 in 1957.

4. squirrel

squirrel

might even depend on what stuff you have for the 392....does it look 50s or 60s?

5. I agree with Squirrel. The appearance of the motor will likely dictate era.

6. Chain drive ! :)

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yeah. You wouldn't want to put Holleys on it. You would need a heard of 97s or something like that. It would need to be multiple V belt drive. Lot to think about.

8. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Its got a bunch of polished aluminum stuff on it now, but I want to media blast it back to a raw finish. I was thinking something similar to the T engine above, but with 8 holley 94's and lakeheads drive shaft lake pipes.

9. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

And a 4 or 5 vbelt drive

10. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Yea, 2" drive for sure.

falcongeorge likes this.
  11. Valve covers can also help determine the era:
    Stamped steel (e.g. Firepower, Imperial or Industrial) were used in both the '50's & '60's.
    Finned aluminum (M/T, Donovan, Moon) were used in the '60's.

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

That's another hangup. Big difference between a car built in '51 and one built in '59. You really need a look, not a date, if you ask me.

13. You could be that guy who built hisvcar in 1958, And then upgraded to a blown hemi about 1962

14. This is my buddy's blown Chevy coupe with chop. It's not a true Era correct car but something that jives
    11070032_10203202158128649_3607760092561170442_o.jpg

deadbeat likes this.
  15. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

No lake headers.... That is another new " traditional" fad

16. It would be later '50s or early '60s on the strip and I doubt that many got driven on the street much. So I would definitely be looking at a drag strip oriented later '50s or earlier '60s build. Or you could go the stream lined route and build a B-Ville oriented car. :D

Sancho this would be a perfect '60s build with trash can collectors on the headers and magnesium wheels.

17. That T is a real survivor. Jack Foye and Ross Heale used the front half of a 26 T touring and blown Chrysler power. It ran 130-mph-plus at the drags in the late 50s and early 60s, it was at the first L.A. Roadster Show and appeared in the movie Palm Springs Weekend. Ross and Doug Peterson dug it out of storage after 30 years.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  18. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Wasn't the T in a Hot Rod Delux about 3 or 4 years ago?

19. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

whats more correct for say 58/59. 2" belt or 4/5 vbelts?

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Tooth belt

falcongeorge likes this.
  21. Gilmer with square teeth and you get the added caveat that they are noisy. :)

falcongeorge likes this.
  22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

First thing I think of when I see multi v-belts on a blower is Cub Barnett/Andy Brizio...

23. Funny when I see multi V belts blown flatty comes to mind. I know that it happened on big motors too but blown flatty comes to mind.

Like this:

[​IMG]
    I know that most will say Nay nay, but I am a big fan of a chain driven blower. I cannot give a multitude of good reasons why that is but I like 'em.

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

don't get me wrong Benno, I'm not saying they weren't used prior to that, I'm just saying that's the first thing that comes to mind when I see that set-up.

25. I'm thinking the competition boys ran the Gilmore style belts and made their own set ups in 58/59. Street applications ran v belts.

Just a year or 2 later, a bunch of speed equipment manufactures started making Gilmore style drives.

26. The closed chain drive set up, like the roadster is packaged tighter, cleaner, and looks exotic.

The exposed blower drives just scream bad ass.

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

1/2" pitch x 2" Gilmer style

falcongeorge likes this.
  28. Yeeeeepppers. I can never remember all the right words for the description. ;)

later they went to a rounded tooth belt it is quieter and produces a little less drag.