Register now to get rid of these ads!

Courtesy cards for Alliance members??

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by lothiandon1940, Sep 13, 2015.

1. A recent thread about a fellow rodder helping out another hot-rodder with a jump start at the Shades of the Past got me thinking. I know, that's scary.:) The "old style" courtesy cards that were included in the recent packages for Lifetime Members of the Rodder's Journal were a great idea but, they were so cool I'll probably never give one away. Wouldn't it be nice, and a great way to "spread the gospel" if Ryan were to create and include maybe 5 or 6 such cards with each renewal of the Alliance membership. It would be a wonderful public relations tool when we help out a fellow car guy, especially if he doesn't know about the HAMB or Jalopy Journal, or even better when we help out a member of the general public. If this has been brought up before, I apologize, it just seemed like a positive way to foster a good image of hot-rodders like the many clubs did back when hot-rodding was in it's infancy. Your consideration is appreciated, Ryan.....................................Thanks, Don.

Hombre, lothianwilly71, bowie and 2 others like this.
  2. No doubt about it,courtesy cards carried by car club members back in the day and handed out when coming to the aid of a motorist that was having trouble were a great way of making the general public aware that all the hot rodders were not a menace.

I like the idea of Hamb courtesy cards, "Spreading the gospel" you bet! HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Muttley

Muttley

Vistaprint does cheap, quality printing shipped to your door. Submit your own design and get exactly what you want/need.

4. ............................I understand where you're coming from, Mutt, and I appreciate the input, I just wouldn't do it without Ryan's approval. That's why I thought it would be a great idea to not only promote good will for us hot-rodders but, for the Jalopy Journal/ H.A.M.B. as well.......................Don.

lothianwilly71 and ct1932ford like this.
  5. I guess I wasn't real clear in my original post that these cards would include something like: "The person who helped you today is an Alliance Member of the Hokey Ass Message Board". Please continue to have a safe and enjoyable day. It could have a blank line for us to sign our name or perhaps Ryan could pre-print them with our screen name. This is all just random thoughts here and I understand completely if the idea gets shot down...........Thanks, Don.

lothianwilly71 and ct1932ford like this.
  6. I think with the individual username printed on the card would be asking too much,a space to put a name would be sufficient. HRP

ct1932ford and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. .................That makes sense, Danny. I'm not trying to make this a big challenge for Ryan. A blank space would work fine.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  8. Muttley

Muttley

Of course not without Ryan's blessing. Your suggestion sounds good as far as phrasing goes and the blank space underneath to write your screen name would be perfect. Run it by Ryan and see what he says.

9. .................I was kinda hoping he would see the suggestion here and comment but, I know he's a busy guy. I may have to send him a conversation. Thanks, Mutt.:)

10. Anybody??:):D:)........Thoughts.

11. Personally I don't like the idea. I have helped people. And I'd never want it to seem I was trying to push an agenda or be advertising at all.

If I help you it's free. No strings attached. Leaving a card seems hokey. (Yeah...... I know).

Just my opinion, which has no previous knowledge about what happened in the past with car clubs doing this.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Thanks for the input.

13. Anyone else have any thoughts on this.........good, bad or indifferent?:D

14. The younger generation don't realize how the general public felt about hot rods back in the day,there was a lot of headlines involving hot rods,racing and wrecks,they were considered a menace to society,any public display of a charitable nature,whether aiding a motorist with a flat tire or a jump off was considered a show of good will by a segment that already had a bad reputation.

I remember that in the 60's the factory hot rods from the big 3 was almost the death nail to hot rods. HRP

15. .............................Sad but true, Danny. All we can do as "old timers" is to try to keep the history alive in some small way and continue to "preach the gospel of traditional hot rods and customs".:)

16. Any body. Thoughts, concerns, opinions. Good or bad. I can take the criticism.:D. Moderators, What do you guys think?

17. Yep,
    yep
    yep and that's why the cut off date.

I think cards could be a good idea, helping folks out is always great. However its a character issue, not a website issue. Preach the gospel at all times every day, if necessary use words

18. Thanks for the input.

19. Thoughts, suggestions, opinions?:):D:):D:):D

20. I'm a bit shocked that only a handful of people, notably Danny, Muttley and 31Vicky w/a hemi and shawnsauto1 have expressed an opinion here. I realize that not everyone checks out this part of the site and I guess I should have posted it on the main forum but, I really thought that one or more of the moderators or Ryan himself would have seen it and commented. Once again, feel free to express your thoughts, good, bad or indifferent......Thanks, Don.

21. Don,I feel certain that with 281 views a moderator or two,possibly even Ryan has read the post and for one reason or another has not commented.

I think the idea of courtesy cards would be cool,much like the hamb decal or alliance membership tag but with less than a handful of us that like the idea it lacks mass appeal. HRP

22. I think you're right, Danny.

lothianwilly71 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. Anybody have an opinion?

24. I like the idea, send Ryan a convo about it...

25. ................Will do. Thanks.......................Don.

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This is something I've ALWAYS wanted to do. I'll get around to it - promise.

27. Thanks, Ryan. I appreciate your consideration.

28. moefuzz

moefuzz

Hey, I think it's a great idea but in this day and age there is more to consider..
    (-please don't shoot the piano player!)

===========================

Please Consider these few analogies;

-All Doctors, All Nurses, All EMTs and all First Aide Attendants
    are fully informed if/when off duty and they come upon the scene of an accident
    or where someone requires Assistance,
    it is up to them, it is Fully Their Choice -By Law- to either Help or Walk Away for Fear of Litigation.

A Doctor can refuse to help you based on the fact that there is better than %51 chance that his name Will be mentioned in a lawsuit If and When a Litigation is eminent

-If Off duty Doctors/nurses and/or Ambulance officials are fearful for their state of well being then
    how hard is it to imagine that 'a kind hearted soul' helping someone "In Good Faith", at the side of the road
    Is NOT putting themselves (and all associates) at risk of Litigation if/when something goes wrong?

Analogy #2;

-A recent light aircraft incident (engine failure) brought forward a lawsuit not just against Cessena and the engine manufacturer, But also against every company that was involved in the manufacture (and maintenance) of that light aircraft.
    This included but was not limited to, the manufacturer of the nylon broadcloth that was stitched onto the aircraft's seats/interior and door panels.
    ..If the guy who checked the fuel filter before take off was carrying an AAA card,
    Then the AAA was also named in the lawsuit as he was clearly a representative of said company.

It has become fact that Injury Lawyers name Every single person or organization along with every single Manufacturer in civil tort.
    -Everyone is equally to blame and it is up to the courts to decide who will bare the ultimate responsibility
    and as to how much each party will bare.

Unfortunately, this is just a product of the times we live in and is/has been brought about
    by the system that is in place today.

Needless to say,
    It has been proven that a person, acting "in good faith" is not protected from civil tort/lawsuit.
    And even if acting "in good faith" -as a card carrying member of "The Good Saints Car Club",
    said persons are just opening the door for additional unknowing individuals/Club members/Associations to be brought into possible litigation if and when something goes wrong.

Is is right?
    Not for me to decide.

Does it place every Individual/Corporation/Association on their toes?
    Yes.

Before anything like Alliance/Courtesy Cards could be brought forward,
    It would be wise to consult with a lawyer.

-(Please Don't Shoot The Piano Player)

Just My Humble Opinion and I am opinionated,
    moe

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015