Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical buick or Olds 215?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tsut, Oct 21, 2015.

1. tsut

tsut

Hey everyone. I've been searching and think I have an olds 215 in my 63 buick special. My valve covers have 5 bolts not 4. Is that a sure way to tell? I'm also pretty sure I have 6 bolts per cylinder on the heads if I'm right haha. I can't get pics to load or I'd put pics of the number on the head and block

2. 270ci

270ci

If your 215 has 6 bolts per cylinder and 5 bolt valve covers, it is an Olds engine. Also, Olds valve covers sit on an angle, like a SBC, while the Buick valve cover sit flat on top of the head, like a nailhead.

3. tsut

tsut

Thanks! I thought I was right... I started looking at doing some work like a cam, intake and all that but looks like I need to find some better heads first since I have the low compression heads. You can't change the compression with the pistons like on a Buick correct?

4. Is thee something majic about the motor that keeps you from using higher compression pistons?

You can go looking for heads or you could possibly mill the heads you got that was a pretty common practice with hot rods back when that engine was new.

5. tsut

tsut

Lol well nothing magic besides how much oil it can leak! This is probably a silly question but can the higher compression buick pistons work in it? I found some but it says they fit buick 215 and on a few other forums and articles I've read I was getting the notion that you had to swap heads on the olds to change compression?

6. You can buy pistons for it, the olds is the most favorable among fellas that build them. Neither is going to have off the shelf pistons, you are going to have to go to a company like Egge or CE Pistons to get them.

If it were mine and it didn't need to be overhauled I would just shave about .010 off the original heads and go on with life.

7. 270ci

270ci

I believe Olds did have a couple different versions of their wedge chamber heads, some with less CC, and they used a flat top piston.

The Buick heads didn't use a wedge chamber design, but kind of a dome chamber and used different pistons to change compression. Not 100% sure, but I thought the Buick high compression piston was a flat top, while the low comp had a small dish, so I don't think using a Buick high comp piston will do any good with an Olds head.

If you're looking for more squeeze, you'll need to mill the heads as P&B suggests, or find some higher comp heads. What head casting number do you have?

D&D can tell you way more about these engines than you want to know:
    http://aluminumv8.com/

8. Anytime you are looking for pistons for an obsolete mill you have to go with a custom piston. Or you could always huff it if it is low compression. :D

270ci likes this.
  9. tsut

tsut

It needs rings anyway so I figured I'd do the whole thing and add a little power while in in there. I can mill the heads at work so that's awesome thanks!
    Yea aluminumv8.com has tons of info alot over my head lol.

10. tsut

tsut

Oh the numbers on the head are S11555

11. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

215 Buick pistons are all dished, some more than others, Olds pistons are flat top. Olds pistons with Buick heads = 12 to 1 compression. Bob

12. tsut

tsut

Thanks Bob! Buick heads will bolt up to an olds block right? Or am I backwards? I found a set of buick heads at the local salvage yard for 65 bucks. I didnt think that was too bad

13. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Will bolt to the block but your intake manifold won't fit. Use Buick pushrods and rockers.

14. tsut

tsut

They don't use the same intakes?

15. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

Attached is a picture from a 1961 Hot Rod magazine article, which shows that 215 Buick and Olds intake and exhaust manifolds are interchangeable. scan0001.jpg

16. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

So which engine did Pontiac use in their tempests from 61-63?

17. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

Pontiac used the Buick engine.