Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well here we are again. I'm unable to upload the smallest picture that my camera will take. These are the same size as all the others that have been uploaded successfully before. I can't find the administraters addresses.

2. jivin jer

jivin jer

Still tryin' without any luck. I'm suspecting that there are board problems. Any body else having problems?

3. Unrelated issue to yours Jer, but for several days (good today) I wasn't being recognized and my password was rejected time after time - frustrating beyond belief! Seems good now, so maybe the picture thing will be resolved for you soon as well..

Commence picture download test now:
    RCD41rear.jpg

That worked!

Dave

509garyd likes this.
  4. jivin jer

jivin jer

001 (2).JPG 004 (4).JPG Well, I'll take what I can get. Here's with that panel gone.

Tanoki and MannyK like this.
  5. so was the lower panel not on the original car ?

6. jivin jer

jivin jer

7. So I know you had your body shop up in here in Washington state... just wondering if you may have known my late father when he worked for Crawford and Co... he went on to manage Russ Dunmire's Body shop for a long while..

8. jivin jer

jivin jer

Hey Rob, I was in the south king county auto body group. Your dad would have been in the pierce county group. Our paths would not have crossed.

9. Dad was office was in Tacoma, I'll PM you his name... maybe you knew him... he traveled a lot around Western Washington and wrote lots of cars..

10. jivin jer

jivin jer

11. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

just spent 4 days off and on reading through the entire thread! I love how devoted you have been to recreating everything as closely as possible even if it took tearing stuff apart and starting over!

loudbang likes this.
  12. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, I keep trying to upload pics, and no luck. I then get kicked out and must sign in again after just doing that very thing. I think the board may have just run out of capacity (or something) again.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    loudbang likes this.
  13. jivin jer

jivin jer

004 (4).JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG Well, there you go.

14. Your determination to get the small details correct is fascinating.
    You've done a wonderful job.

15. jivin jer

jivin jer

16. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

So, did Jesse later remember this detail?

17. jivin jer

jivin jer

The original pic reminded him that the lower factory panel was not there. He couldn't remember what was done in it's place.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  18. jivin jer

jivin jer

I think I'm getting close. The air scoop needs to lose about 1", and the bumper needs to kick back just a bit more. 001 (4).JPG 005.JPG

19. Looks really good Jer!

20. coming along , very nice...

21. Torchie

Torchie

Agreed...
    Torchie

22. Janne

Janne

This is one of my main reasons to check Hamb!

23. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

24. Marty Skelton

Marty Skelton

Hey Jer, how did you creat the web design for taillights? Thanks

25. Rikster

Rikster

The taillight "prism" pattern was created just as it was done back in the 1940's, using a file. Jerry used the same method as was being used by Bob Hirohata who created the taillights from the Jack Stewart Ford. Check out THIS post on Jer's thread to see it.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    loudbang and hotrod54chevy like this.
  26. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks Rik for the assist.

I’m feeling pretty good about the status of the accuracy of this car right now. Using one of the best original photo’s that’s available, I’ve circled the important areas that this photo reveals are correct when compared to the recreation. These circled areas show stance, chop, the unique frenched headlights, I think the bumper is correct.

I need to get an early AM photo that will put the light from the sun down low as is shown in this pic. That should show that the air scoop is (now) also correct.

It’s pretty exciting to be at the place where we can see the original car in the recreation, and we will be visiting the various original photo’s to see if there are any more problems.

The nagging issues are still not having the windshield trim done. This still means that we wait to install the Appleton’s. I’m also waiting to get the cut down garnish moldings from Frank Palmer. I then will take the grille (which is weak) and the garnish to another plater to have done. The other issues that I don’t consider huge are the front end alignment and the exhaust completion because I don’t have to (personally) do them.

Then it’s detailing, cleaning, to get ready for the contact with the guy’s that said early on “contact us as soon as it is completely done”.
    001 (7).JPG 005.JPG

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  27. cgc1958

cgc1958
    Member Emeritus
    1. 1957-59 Ranchero's

This is gonna be incredible! Looking forward to seeing it!

28. daddio211

daddio211

I spotted something that I thought looked out of place between these two pics. Far be it from me to tell a TRUE CRAFTSMAN I see a problem with his work, so Jer please take this as intended...
    001 (7).JPG
    005.JPG

I contemplated, back and forth between the two photos for some time.

And then I spotted it! Was Jesse's coupe ever so slightly sectioned? He never would have left out such a detail, would he? Back and for I went, original to Jer's perfect clone, then back to the original. Maybe just the front FENDER was sectioned? Could the wheel arch have been reshaped higher?

Somehow, somewhere, somewhy the distance between the top of the wheel arch and the top of the fender is different!

Oh, wait, the picture is of a picture. At an angle. LMAO. Well that was dumb of me!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  29. jivin jer

jivin jer

DAMN, I'm going to have to check this out, oh...it probably will help if next time I at least keep the picture of the picture laid out flat. Thanks for the help.

daddio211 likes this.