Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tale of my Two 1941 Merc's

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by eric54chevy, Mar 5, 2015.

1. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Lol no problem Mo....maybe one day....it sure would be nice

2. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Rik did a photoshop with the skirts painted....can't wait
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445350453.449904.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  3. Torchie

Torchie

Beautiful.!
    Working in a Cadillac dealership body shop back in the early 70's I put the "Rub" to more than one lacquer paint job. It is amazing how good they can look.
    I may have missed it earlier in the thread but what size tires and what width WW's are you running?
    Torchie

4. Sweet! That colour really suits the car doesn't it? How are your elbows? Well worth the effort - that's for sure!

Dave

5. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Torchie they are 650-16 and I believe they are the 4inch white wall....I'll have to double check

Dave, wash, wet sand, oxidation remover and wax....my forearms where on fire! Still a little sore this morning.

6. jetcycles

jetcycles

I've been away from the HAMB (and my car) for a while due to all of the usual piss poor excuses, but I have been following this on Faded Love Garage's IG for a little while, and y'all are making beautiful progress on this car! I plan to drop my Styleline off with them early next year to knock out some items that I'm not capable of handling on my own, maybe I'll swing by and check out your car this week...

eric54chevy likes this.
  7. 'Mo

'Mo

Shaving the parking lights seems the perfect next step (once again), and by itself takes the car to a whole new custom level! (As certainly will the recessed rear plate.)
    But that lacquer paint is just OUTSTANDING, and, imho, would trump any custom bodywork that would further compromise its integrity. (That's really hard for me to admit, too. I'm usually the first one to start making changes..) The skirts can be forgiven, of course.
    How about enjoying it for a while, before filling any holes? Maybe a bumper swap (Lincoln?, DeSoto?)
    would be enough to still take it up a notch, and scratch the customizing itch? (At least for while.;))

Olson likes this.
  8. Olson

Olson

9. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Jetcycles thanks....you won't be disappointed, ken does good work and doesn't cut corners....

Thanks Mo....the second spotlight and recessed plate is where I plan on stopping. Although if the paint matches real close we might go ahead and fill the holes. We also plan to shorten the hood side trim, one piece the hood and remove the front trim along the nose. But I'm with you, I really don't want to compromise the paint to much. Certain parts of the paint have cracking, particularly where the marker lights where. So I won't be to bummed if we have to do a little paint work around those holes. As far as bumpers, I really like the Mercury bumpers. I plan on getting them re chromed. I'm also going to chrome the bumper brackets for the front and rear. I have a 47-48 Mercury rear splash pan, but it needs a bit of work. Certain aspects of the build will wait till next year and that's one of them.

I order new running board rubber today and new rear vent window seals. Stay along for the ride!

10. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Just sharing a couple pics....Faded Love Garage's 32 Ford pickup and my car ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445473963.760295.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445473996.594476.jpg

11. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

New tires on the Merc....getting ready for some shakedown runs
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447134054.594250.jpg

12. Very nice - it's great when a car looks so sharp due to a bit of restraint in the modifications, simple and elegant! Well done!

eric54chevy likes this.
  13. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Marker lights and Mercury script holes filled. You can see in the picture of the driver side fender the cracking going on with the lacquer paint. This is one of the two spots like this. The driver side rear fender is the other, not anywhere as bad as this.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447371894.662148.jpg

kidcampbell71, TonyVan and slv63 like this.
  14. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Skirts are painted
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447457845.175123.jpg

15. Torchie

Torchie

Looking great.
    I know you mentioned in an earlier post where you got the skirts from. Was it Agape?
    Torchie

16. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Thanks Torchie and yes I got them from Agape

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  17. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

A little darker but not bad for matching 74 year old paint
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447615269.017230.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447615283.063884.jpg

catdad49 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Actually,the miss match does`nt look bad at all.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

19. 'Mo

'Mo

Any thoughts on tail lights?
    Lights mounted in the bumper guards would look good. But so does Tormey's coupe, with its lights switched side for side, and mounted low on the fenders.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  20. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Mo I was actually thinking about this last night at work while studying the side profile picture. I believe I will eventually lower them like the tormey coupe. If I was going to mold the rear fenders or do other typical modifications with the 41-48's I would do some bumper mount lights. But simple and mild is what I think fits this car.

Asphalt Demon and 'Mo like this.
  21. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

22. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

23. Torchie

Torchie

Looking great !!
    Torchie

eric54chevy likes this.
  24. Hey, congrats Eric!! '41 Merc sled on the move! It does look and sound great.

Dave

eric54chevy likes this.
  25. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

What? I cant explain to you just how JEALOUS that makes me!!!! But in a good way.
    Killer man.
    Its like a small locomotive comin through. Bet it drives great. Like cars used to.

eric54chevy and 'Mo like this.
  26. Looks killer man.

eric54chevy likes this.
  27. Love it.
    Are you still planning to build the coupe?

eric54chevy and Outback like this.
  28. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Thanks everyone....

James absolutely....Putting the funds into the sedan, cancelled the plans for the coupe for a while. I'll eventually sell the sedan to fund the coupe.

James D likes this.
  29. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

your doing a perfect job! as respects to simple and mild,since taillights were mentioned,I've always wondered about 41 lincoln lights fitting on fat fendered fords? I don't find the stock ones overly offensive though either Johnny

eric54chevy likes this.
  30. 'Mo

'Mo

I'm just supposin' here...
    You mentioned shortening the hood chrome.
    Is it possible that the long hood strip would be useful for removing the door handles?
    i.e., hood strip to front door, front door to back, back shortened for hood? (Or possibly used for the coupe?)
    It may indeed be easier to modify the existing door pieces for handle removal, but it would be a shame to cut your longest strips into your shortest, if they would do the job elsewhere.