Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** October 2015 Banger Meet - Shadows Getting Shorter in Aus and NZ ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Oct 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. If you go to instagram the Old Crow Speed Shop ( Bobbie Green ) has photos and videos of a Whippet speedster with an Alexander head on the Whippet engine. Pretty rare. There is a video of the car running in this years TROG. Engine was built by H and H.

2. Measure the clutch face diameter.
    If it is 10", it may not fit inside your bellhousing or trans.
    Yes, a lesson learned from experience.

3. 97

How far are you away from these guys http://www.wmwworks.com ? They helped out this guy from New Zealand who was passing through NC, with an emergency one off job, dropped everything and did the job on the spot, real fast and the price was great.
    It was supposed to be a temporary repair , but they made such a good job , the part has not been replaced and that was a few years ago. It has had a hiding since then and has not broken again.

4. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Just received some pictures from Tod who is making the Winfield heads, and thought I might post them if anyone is interested. These are the pictures of the first mold and core setting in the mold.
    winfield mold 001.jpg
    winfield mold 002.jpg winfield mold 003.jpg

ROCKER77 likes this.
  5. Pretty cool to see the mold. So the grey is basically the openings inside the head right?

6. Thanks 97!

They are less than 10 miles from me! They have a reputation for good but pricey work. I know they can do it, just didn't really consider them due to perceived cost. They have quoted work for us at my job, but they always come back with the high bid.

To give you an idea of the quality of work they do, they have the contract to fab all the rocket launchers, T-tops and other railings for Grady-White boats (also built in Greenville).

I'll call them tomorrow and get a better feel for what they would charge.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  7. barobert

barobert
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Need help
    I'm doing my G28 T engine. Does someone know where i can buy racing pistons for a B engine? Thans for any help.

8. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

Charlie yapp

9. I use J and E pistons I see a lot of adds for Ross pistons. On the web,www.jepistons.com/ www.rosspistons.com/

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  10. hot-irons

hot-irons

11. hot-irons

hot-irons

12. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I believe Tod is going to cast them in cast iron.

hot-irons likes this.
  13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I have ross aluminum pistons on aluminum rods . works well . good pistons .

14. hot-irons

hot-irons

Any contact info for Tod? I would be interested in one.

15. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

You might contact Dennis Piranio (piranios antique engines) in Texas, or Ross Racing Pistons. Dennis has "treated" pistons for tighter clearance, if you are building for high performance. Review his web-site, good info

16. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I don't have any. I just have been following along on his threads here and on ford barn. Send him a pm. I will post links tomorrow. I am on my phone and can't find the links on it. Haha.

17. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

From what I understand, both cast iron and aluminium. I am pretty sure he is going to do a standard and crows-foot combustion chamber.

18. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

PM "427designer" on the HAMB

19. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

20. barobert

barobert
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks to all for the piston Informations. The Ross pistons are not any more in their catalog. After mailing, they said, that they have to made new ones, and it would cost aproximatly $ 950.

21. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

@waxhead Beat me to the links. Thank you!!

22. 97

Bore it to 4" and use a set of 283 Chev pistons, you need to fit them backwards compared to Chevy.. as the Model A already has thrust offset built in.
    Call John at Pete's Auto Machine in New Mexico 505-836-3110, he has the parts for around $250 and advice for free.

23. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

24. I think you have to modify your connecting rods to use stock Chevy pistons. Shops like Pete's have Chevy type pistons that use the A rods. AER makes A inserted rods that use stock Chevy pistons as well as stock A replacement insert rods. I have a set of REM Al rods modified for Chevy pistons with a new set of 4" pistons on them If you go for the Chevy type make sure they use the 1/16" top rings for less frictional drag and faster break in.

25. 283 is 3.875" bore. 4" is .125" overbore.

26. Police "B" head.....Copper gasket???

27. So ?

28. Why ?

29. 97

Yeah technically a 283 piston @ 125 over is a 302 piston, but the compression height and pin diameter will be wrong in a piston for a chevy .
    I guess I was not clear in what I was saying.... Should have said
    Chev 283 STYLE pistons . The stock Chevy pistons are too much trouble and too expensive by time you buy the special rods or have Model A rods bushed to suit the 283 pin size... the bushes will have to be offset to account for the compression height.... Petes has the 283 style slipper pistons to suit Model A rods , with narrow rings and flat tops ( no valve relief ). You can chose to use any size you want from stock 3 3/4 to 4 " , probably more if you are brave.

30. Huh?!?!

Because?

Didn't know which material was best...just asking for advice.